Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Long way out & doubt his called at #1. Shame about Hollands being injured, he was more likely to be #1.

We are 9 months out, lots can change. I remember years ago Clem Smith was a lock for #1 12 months out from the draft,ended up going for a pick in the 50's and only played a couple of games for Carlton before being delisted.

If he is called at #1, we might need to trade one of our surplus mids to get a pick for points or go into a deficit in 2021.

In his last year before the draft, just let him enjoy playing his footy out of the back pocket in peace
Next minute, JUH mysteriously wins a Mercedes-Benz ute scholarship in Germany for the year...

Long way out & doubt his called at #1. Shame about Hollands being injured, he was more likely to be #1.

We are 9 months out, lots can change. I remember years ago Clem Smith was a lock for #1 12 months out from the draft,ended up going for a pick in the 50's and only played a couple of games for Carlton before being delisted.

If he is called at #1, we might need to trade one of our surplus mids to get a pick for points or go into a deficit in 2021.
By the time he is called, it will be too late to trade a player this year. Most club's have a fair idea of when their prospects will get bid on (GWS knowing Green would fall lower than top 3 is good example), so I have faith that Power will be all over it and will plan accordingly. IF we do trade a surplus mid, then just know it is to bring in Ugle-Hagan, so try not to melt if we move McLean on for a mid-late second rounder only...

By the time he is called, it will be too late to trade a player this year. Most club's have a fair idea of when their prospects will get bid on (GWS knowing Green would fall lower than top 3 is good example), so I have faith that Power will be all over it and will plan accordingly. IF we do trade a surplus mid, then just know it is to bring in Ugle-Hagan, so try not to melt if we move McLean on for a mid-late second rounder only...

I'm already melting at the suggestion.

I think this is the article in question.

One club official said the Dogs had hit the “draft jackpot” with guaranteed and discounted access to the indigenous Ugle-Hagan in the first round.
“This kid does it all, and when he puts on 20kg in an AFL club environment, look out,” the talent expert said.
“It is clear the system really needs to change because it is so compromised.
“Jamarra has played footy his whole life – that is not what the next generation academies were designed for.”
I read that as deliberate misleading of the reader. A "talent expert" is quoted, then a recruiter, who just says we have hit the jackpot, then the "talent expert" is quoted again. It appears like it is all the one recruiter, but I think that it isn't.

I read that as deliberate misleading of the reader. A "talent expert" is quoted, then a recruiter, who just says we have hit the jackpot, then the "talent expert" is quoted again. It appears like it is all the one recruiter, but I think that it isn't.
Probably not, but Jamarra was singled out by name though (and no other NGA prospects), so its not a generic quote like the article the other day. So this probably contributed to the interpretation of the recent article for some. I personally don't recall any similar articles singling a NGA prospect out like this, particularly so far out from the draft.

He's also played basketball his whole life.

do people think the cancelation of the under 18 season will play a role in the bidding of jammara come draft time ? Less time in the spotlight dominating the under 18s etc changes to list spots ?

do people think the cancelation of the under 18 season will play a role in the bidding of jammara come draft time ? Less time in the spotlight dominating the under 18s etc changes to list spots ?

I think it could be a bad thing for us, because he's on everyone's mind when they think about u18s due to those "oh no Dogs have a great academy player" articles, and nobody else is getting the chance to show an amazing season.

I think it could be a bad thing for us, because he's on everyone's mind when they think about u18s due to those "oh no Dogs have a great academy player" articles, and nobody else is getting the chance to show an amazing season.

Also a prime opportunity for the AFL to introduce a one-off rule change for the draft around academies. The dogs would have no platform to stand on given the optics of the situation (complaining about academy access when the whole league is tanking)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a prime opportunity for the AFL to introduce a one-off rule change for the draft around academies. The dogs would have no platform to stand on given the optics of the situation (complaining about academy access when the whole league is tanking)
That’s a very good point.
If they are ever going to change rules for whatever reason it is this year.

All I want from this season is the chance to have the guarantee this kid will be on our list by seasons end. This corona pandemic has me worried we won’t get him.

We'll get Marra & Raak and McPherson and laugth our arses off at season's end
Not only because we are going to get huge talents, but also because we will no doubt pay ridiculously low prices for all 3.

No way Ugle-Hagan gets bid on at Pick 1 (Cal Twomey went into detail about why you wouldn't bid on him, made a lot of sense), even though he really should be taken there. Could end up being bid on at Pick 5 or so, which saves us massively in draft points. Meanwhile, I can easily see both Raak and McPherson sliding far.

For Raak, I think of other tall defenders linked to academies in recent years like Nyuon and Khamis, who were arguably top 20-25 on talent, but slid waaayyyy back through the draft. Unless they are right up at the top end for talent, the academy kids tend to slide really far through the draft, so I could see Raak coming to us for next to nothing, while Macpherson could come to us for free.

We really will be laughing

Last edited:
You think we're keen on all three? Not much has been mentioned of Raak and McPherson it seems.
Yes, I suspect we'll take all three. Even if list sizes are cut I suspect we'll find a way to take them.

Yes, I suspect we'll take all three. Even if list sizes are cut I suspect we'll find a way to take them.
I did an exercise at work last week, going through the list (should have checked who is out of contract end of this year) and I could easily cull six players with ease, while two or three were on the cusp. So cutting 10 could be possible without eating into too much star power/potential for the future.
If they cut list sizes, I wonder if they ease back the requirement to draft/pick three players at the draft. If not, there is a minimum eight delistings from each club coming up...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back