Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not actually what you said though. You said "F/S trumps Academy".

You can be pedantic as you like - The fact is Academy eligibility doesn't over-ride FS eligibility - And history so far shows that players usually follow the FS route - And I'll add what happens when Academies aren't around in twenty years ?

Have gotten in touch with a guy from up North, have me a small insight into the Davey boys.

(Paraphrasing of course)

The boys aren’t ready for Premiere division football only being 15 but they did show glimpses on the weekend.

They’re both extremely shy boys who take a while to come out of there shells. Good kids who aren’t trouble makers and are moving down south for football/education purposes next year.

They weren’t anything special in the younger days but have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years, making a big splash in the U16 NT side last season.

The biggest thing I took away from it all? The kids remember the old man playing and are enthusiastic about recollecting stories of him. They both want to play for us.

The club has welcomed them with open arms but logistically speaking they haven’t attended the JHA as much as we’d like but that’s ok. The next couple of years we will likely see them more around the hangar.

Any questions to pass on, I can try to but yeah, something for all to genuinely think about.

For the record, Palmerston (9.5.45) went down to an exceptionally strong St Marys side (10.15.75). The Palmerston bests aren’t listed nor are the goal kickers

You can be pedantic as you like - The fact is Academy eligibility doesn't over-ride FS eligibility - And history so far shows that players usually follow the FS route - And I'll add what happens when Academies aren't around in twenty years ?
"pedantic" AKA factual

history shows they don't always choose FS - I'm pretty sure I've seen you whinge that a player chose Academy over FS

just as relevant as your last point: what happens if they scrap father-son?

Ignorant question alert, have there ever been father/son twins before?

How does bidding work if we wanted to get both of them? Is there a 'one egg, one pick' rule ha?

Ignorant question alert, have there ever been father/son twins before?

How does bidding work if we wanted to get both of them? Is there a 'one egg, one pick' rule ha?

Old system would have locked them into the 3rd and 4th rounds, now it’s bid based so we’d just have to match bids on both of them

f6a01058316e389d6be2f36db1f2a236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"pedantic" AKA factual

history shows they don't always choose FS - I'm pretty sure I've seen you whinge that a player chose Academy over FS

just as relevant as your last point: what happens if they scrap father-son?

It's more likely the Academy system will be scrapped before FS - And one FS hardly supports your argument - Yes, players should not have multiple ways to be drafted - And the F/S was around long before Academies.

It's more likely the Academy system will be scrapped before FS - And one FS hardly supports your argument - Yes, players should not have multiple ways to be drafted - And the F/S was around long before Academies.
I didn't say it was relevant, only just as relevant as you point.

Someone asked what the rules were, you replied with your opinion as fact. Then when someone pointed what the rules actually are, you tried to argue that your opinion should be considered fact and that reality is wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody said that it does. You however said that Father Son overrides Academy. Which is incorrect.

At the end of the day, it’s the players choice if they are eligible for both
Exactly. Although I do think that any player that's eligible for FS should be ruled out of academies. These academies are set up to develop players that would otherwise not be in the game. Heeney and Mills are perfect examples of this, neither would have played AFL if not for Sydney's academy so I think their work with them should be rewarded. Blakey though? Nope.

Nobody said that it does. You however said that Father Son overrides Academy. Which is incorrect.

It's up to you whether you take my post in the literal sense - Both F/S and Academy have equal weighting but players usually take the F/S route - That's what my post stated or didn't clearly state.

Exactly. Although I do think that any player that's eligible for FS should be ruled out of academies. These academies are set up to develop players that would otherwise not be in the game. Heeney and Mills are perfect examples of this, neither would have played AFL if not for Sydney's academy so I think their work with them should be rewarded. Blakey though? Nope.
Yeah it seems like there's a lot of potential to abuse the system by scouting promising juniors and signing them up early so by the time their draft year rolls around you get first dibs and you've already groomed them for a role

Maybe a tad too late for him but Steve Carey's son Chris won the Southern Football Netball League Division 1 medal. Looks set to return to VFL football with Port Melbourne in 2020 after his dominant year with East Malvern. Has won a raft of honours at EM including interleague, B&F.

Is still eligible I believe but it's good to see he''s making a fist of it anyways.

Still only 25 and sounds like he has grown to 198cm

I've always been interested in the nature vs nuture debate. Are we born with it or are we taught?

What makes a son able to play like his dad, genetics or just the fact he was brought up around footy?

I always had this feeling you were mostly born with gifts but they could he honed or lost in certain environments but of late I've swung more from nature to nuture.

As a Chelsea fan ive watched our dominant academy with great interest, and finally now it is bearing fruit as we have been forced to play them.

On the surface you assume ok, they have ploughed money into the academy, poached any young teen kid who was showing ability and the elite environment does the rest, but the more ive looked something has astounded me.

Alot of the kids in that academy, who are now performing in the best league in the world, have been there since age 6

Think about a 6 year old kid... Now think how could you possibly identify a 6 year old and say ok... He looks to me like he will have the attributes to make it at the top level in 2 decades time...

Surely all you are looking for is sharp hand eye, athletic looks .. then the environment takes care of everything else. Not born with it... It's taught.

With all that being said, clearly we can't have academy in Australia like Europe because of equilisation. Can't sit on kids for 15 years and call them yours, but fs... Different story. I do wonder if there is a way to be more Intensive for longer....if there was evidence it was more likely to churn out AFL standard players.

Maybe there could be enough fs/nga names to have them all play for the same local team, learn to play together early, form bonds, play the Essendon way

Far fetched I know but, cutting edge ideas sometimes garner results before other follow.

Any way just chewing the offseason fat. Thoughts?

I've always been interested in the nature vs nuture debate. Are we born with it or are we taught?

What makes a son able to play like his dad, genetics or just the fact he was brought up around footy?

I always had this feeling you were mostly born with gifts but they could he honed or lost in certain environments but of late I've swung more from nature to nuture.

As a Chelsea fan ive watched our dominant academy with great interest, and finally now it is bearing fruit as we have been forced to play them.

On the surface you assume ok, they have ploughed money into the academy, poached any young teen kid who was showing ability and the elite environment does the rest, but the more ive looked something has astounded me.

Alot of the kids in that academy, who are now performing in the best league in the world, have been there since age 6

Think about a 6 year old kid... Now think how could you possibly identify a 6 year old and say ok... He looks to me like he will have the attributes to make it at the top level in 2 decades time...

Surely all you are looking for is sharp hand eye, athletic looks .. then the environment takes care of everything else. Not born with it... It's taught.

With all that being said, clearly we can't have academy in Australia like Europe because of equilisation. Can't sit on kids for 15 years and call them yours, but fs... Different story. I do wonder if there is a way to be more Intensive for longer....if there was evidence it was more likely to churn out AFL standard players.

Maybe there could be enough fs/nga names to have them all play for the same local team, learn to play together early, form bonds, play the Essendon way

Far fetched I know but, cutting edge ideas sometimes garner results before other follow.

'The Talent Code' by Daniel Coyle answers a lot of these questions imo. Really good read for sports nuts and those interested in the mind / learning in general.

It’s an interesting debate. I was always decent at sports that required a high level of hand eye coordination (cricket, tennis, hockey etc.) but well below average at sports that required me to use my feet on a ball like footy, soccer etc. Unsure if this was my parents encouragement or if it was inherent but it would take a fine tuned long term (Decades/multiple generations) experiment to really get conclusive results. Would be great if someone would fund this (has it been done before?). It is interesting that there are many examples of people being good at both “hand eye” and “foot eye” (for lack of a better term) sports and having to choose one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back