Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we got the rights to Kako?
If he slides past pick 40 we do. He is NGA . Based on today it would be touch and go. Right now he is not top 25 IMO but what he showed today would put him in the 25 to 50 range. He would not have to improve a lot to be more second round than third round plus.

If he slides past pick 40 we do. He is NGA . Based on today it would be touch and go. Right now he is not top 25 IMO but what he showed today would put him in the 25 to 50 range. He would not have to improve a lot to be more second round than third round plus.
He’s got a lot of traits that clubs are looking for though. The small forward position has become the barometer of sides, all the good teams have an elite one. Right now it’s a glaring hole at essendon

Not quite father / son or NGA but Cat B related that was lost in the wash the last week or so but we are one of only a small handful of clubs eying off a new batch of Iriishmen trialling in Australia this week.

FOUR CLUBS TRIAL IRISH TALENTS​

ESSENDON, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn will host the four Irish prospects for trials this week ahead of their testing at the AFL Draft Combine.

The AFL has brought out four talents – James McLaughlin, Eoin McElholm, Odran Murdock and Conor Corbett – to trial at clubs and also take part in the three-day Combine later this week.

Corbett is a 192cm star at Gaelic level, while McLaughlin is a sports all-rounder having played basketball, soccer, golf and Gaelic rules. McElholm is renowned for his speed, while Murdock is the standout player from his county, with all chasing an AFL contract.

The AFL's venture back into the Irish scene has seen Carlton sign two players – Rob Monahan and Matt Duffy – as category B rookies already, while St Kilda listed Liam O’Connell recently as well.

It also follows the AFL Grand Final, where Irishman Conor McKenna played for the Lions and American Mason Cox became a premiership player with Collingwood. – Callum Twomey

Not quite father / son or NGA but Cat B related that was lost in the wash the last week or so but we are one of only a small handful of clubs eying off a new batch of Iriishmen trialling in Australia this week.
Can we have a break from the Irish talent. Honestly it’s not worth the effort.

Can we have a break from the Irish talent. Honestly it’s not worth the effort.
I know McKenna went home and then went to Brisbane but he was wort the effort and in different circumstances would have worked .

I know McKenna went home and then went to Brisbane but he was wort the effort and in different circumstances would have worked .
He still started cracking the shits in his last year and wanted to play as a forward. So many of them you’ve got to put 3-4 solid years of development into them and they then end up heading back home, I’d prefer If we used our cat b differently for a few years.

He still started cracking the shits in his last year and wanted to play as a forward. So many of them you’ve got to put 3-4 solid years of development into them and they then end up heading back home, I’d prefer If we used our cat b differently for a few years.
Our club was an absolute shambles around that time. Noone to blame but ourselves (oh and COVID and us allowing him to be villainised by the media without having his back) for that not working out

Can't you only have 1 Irish player via the Cat B list? So to use the two spots you still need to take someone else from an alternative background or pathway anyway.

You are absolutely right.
he was pivotal in getting Brisbane back in the game against Carlton and was a goal away from being a premiership player. It is folly to say he was not worth the effort. He did not cope with Covid and was unfairly treated by the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stats from todays Cannons (9.6.60) loss to Sandringham (16.14.110)

Jayden Nguyen (second best(
16 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 2 I50s, 9 R50s

Ryan Eyre (is he still NGA eligible or not as he was overlooked?)
11 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 9 R50s

Isaac Kako (third best)
7 kicks, 5 handballs, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 3 I50s, 2 goals

Alex Alessio
2 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 tackle, 1 I50, 7 hitouts

Calder (12.16.88) getting off the mark against Western Jets (11.12.78) today

Jayden Nguyen
9 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 R50

Isaac Kako (second best)
9 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks 2 I50s, 3 goals, 2 behinds

Alex Allessio
4 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks, 4 I50, 5 hitouts

In other news, Noah Caracella (Blakes son), played again for Geelong Falcons.
Another quiet day in a 90 - 33 win over GWV Rebels
3 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 mark, 5 tackles, 3 frees for, 1 behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back