Review JLT Community Series | Game 2 | NM vs Hawthorn @ Arden Street | Postmatch discussion & review

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win, most players showed something which was nice.

Goldy, Taz and Maj looked short of a gallop.

Mountford showed why he needs to be there in Rd 1. Showed some quality ball use in the first half, shut down O'Meara in the 2nd.

Simpkin is the first Rd 1 pick in many years that looks like a rd 1 selection.

EVW and Williams confirmed Best 22 status.

Zurhaar is another gem who will be in the mix 2018.

We've beaten Sydney and Hawthorn. Surely we're premiership favourites now.

Post-game Panther points: Volume 2

• It's going to be a throw back to 2013. No doubt about it. We're gonna run and we're gonna gun, but we'll get scored against heavily at times. I'm scared, but I'm prepared to buckle up and see where it takes us.
  • Lindsay Thomas around the ball is EXCITING. How good did he look?! He's fit and flying.
  • Another impressive second-up showing from Preuss. Nothing subtle about his game.
  • Excited about what Cunnington can produce this season. Looks fit, which is a sad indictment on his conditioning last season. (I had this note written before that mark. Looks a new player).
  • Atley's approaching beast mode.
  • Young Zuhaar showed glimpses
  • Simpkin
  • Disappointed in the skills and cleanliness of some of our younger players. Wagner needs to be cleaner. Turner needs to make the most of his limited touches. Hibberd should wear a white coat because he's a butcher.
  • Marley's one on one defensive skills are great. Needs to know his kicking limitations though.

Side bar: How ******* horrible was Lake's post game interview with Preuss? Worst questions I've ever seen. Totally unprofessional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin, jesus.

Should trade Preusz for 2 first rounders.

Ziebell and Cunnington out of the 50 should have been done years ago.

Hrovat makes us better.

Not worried about Goldy, he needs the miles under his belt before he hits form. His tapwork was still better than anybody on the ground.

Glad we didn't pick up Vickery.

Spud Mac was good defensively.

Atley looks free and happy, not downtrodden and broken.

It is really early and I dont want to be getting ahead of myself. But we have looked better these first two preseason games than we did all last year. I know the tempo is slower but we look like a faster more skillful team. If we gave our kids an opportunity the last few years things may have been different.

In terms of the recruits in the offseason
Hrovat - massive tick
Marley - will play a role and free up the likes of atley/mcmillan, will have the occasional brain fart but give him a tick
Jy - for a first game back - tick
Zuhaar - has some tricks and played well today
Cunners - ummm has this guy swapped heads with nat fyfe, he is looking like a different player

Our transition was excellent today.

I feel confident with hibberd/durdin/the hyphen leading our defence for the next 10 years

A fully fit Dumont, Higgins and Cunnington is going to give us at worst, a very competitive midfield. Dumont was just all class, 26 disposals and a goal.

Durdin had a good last quarter

Two dads was largely excellent

Swallow wasn't bad

Goal kicking was poor at times, but I'm sure it will be worked on.

Cunners dangerous all over the ground.

Ruck, clearances, two way running and pressure were all pretty good for this time of year.

Gonna be an exciting season.

My expectations in terms of win loss are perhaps a little lower than I was coming into the season, as I expected we'd be relying on our more mature players to carry us.

Instead it looks a lot like we're going to play the kids and expect big things of them. Which I think is great. I think we can expect to have those parts of games where we get dominated (like the first half of the second quarter) which will be the difference between winning and losing a lot of the time, but we're gonna get valuable experience into our kids who are showing they are hungry, talented and capable of stepping up.

Otherwise...

God I hope EVW and Durdin play a full season. Get games into them as they are the future of our defence.

Very happy with Marley. Very happy with Atley. Very happy we got Marley to play the Atley role so Atley can play the other Atley role.

Hope Goldy gets narky about the tyres on the Preussmobile getting pumped up. Goldy plays best when he's crapped off.

I said don't write Swallow off just yet and I was right. Will be very valuable this year.

Dumont and Hrovat are going to be excellent additions to our best 22.

McKay is a year off.

Hoping Daw was just blowing out the cobwebs as he was fairly invisible. Whereas Taz just looked slick from the word go.

Is it Higgins v Cunnington for the Syd? Or is LT a smoky? reckon they're all going to have great seasons.

Wagner got off to a flyer, was everywhere but is very sloppy with ball in hand.

And Simpkin...holy shitballs.

Here are the locks for rd 1 in my view:

Williams Tarrant Mc Donald
EVW Durdin Thompson
Atley Cunnington Clarke
Rat Brown Higgins
Waite Daw Thomas
Goldy Swallow Ziebell
Gibson (doesn't matter if you want him or not, he will play)

So 3 spots left in my estimation.

Very excited about the year don't have high expectations the young guys look like we have a good team in a year or two.

Prius's is a beast.

Simpkin looks like he can play.

Hibberd look comfortable today.

If I was only listening to Fox I wouldn't have thought North played today.

Last edited:
Gonna be an exciting season.

My expectations in terms of win loss are perhaps a little lower than I was coming into the season, as I expected we'd be relying on our more mature players to carry us.

Instead it looks a lot like we're going to play the kids and expect big things of them. Which I think is great. I think we can expect to have those parts of games where we get dominated (like the first half of the second quarter) which will be the difference between winning and losing a lot of the time, but we're gonna get valuable experience into our kids who are showing they are hungry, talented and capable of stepping up.

Otherwise...

God I hope EVW and Durdin play a full season. Get games into them as they are the future of our defence.

Very happy with Marley. Very happy with Atley. Very happy we got Marley to play the Atley role so Atley can play the other Atley role.

Hope Goldy gets narky about the tyres on the Preussmobile getting pumped up. Goldy plays best when he's crapped off.

I said don't write Swallow off just yet and I was right. Will be very valuable this year.

Dumont and Hrovat are going to be excellent additions to our best 22.

McKay is a year off.

Hoping Daw was just blowing out the cobwebs as he was fairly invisible. Whereas Taz just looked slick from the word go.

Is it Higgins v Cunnington for the Syd? Or is LT a smoky? reckon they're all going to have great seasons.

Wagner got off to a flyer, was everywhere but is very sloppy with ball in hand.

And Simpkin...holy shitballs.

Wagner was very neat with the ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back