Autopsy JLT1 - Blues ton up and beat Bombers by 9 points

Remove this Banner Ad

All true - but actually having a forward line is pretty exciting too - we have three talls all of whom have shown at AFL level they are capable of kicking 3 goals a game - or more. Cuningham is fit and kicking them from everywhere - he plays like a breakaway mid in forward stoppages - very nice beginnings of a serious structure there. Dont really care who the other two players end up being down there Fasolo will be interesting to watch when he plays.

Defense is still not fully set with teh outs we have .

This isn't a low percentage starting 22.

Yep, the three talls up forward is awesome timing. Cunners, is physically ready to get the ground balls. Waiting on Fasolo but I love that he is experienced.

Gives us the choice of rolling the dice on all out attack (from mid to fwd 50) in the hope of outscoring what our defence will leak. Then set up to stop counter-attack...not sure if we have that sorted.

Could be Carlton should just go for it and roll that attack dice.

Someone like Fisher would have to love the new 6/6/6 rules. Gives him the space to cut through the midfield.

For those who watched Sydney's matches, was Newman a consistent performer - does he always put in 100% effort, toughness and play with heart?

All true - but actually having a forward line is pretty exciting too - we have three talls all of whom have shown at AFL level they are capable of kicking 3 goals a game - or more. Cuningham is fit and kicking them from everywhere - he plays like a breakaway mid in forward stoppages - very nice beginnings of a serious structure there. Dont really care who the other two players end up being down there Fasolo will be interesting to watch when he plays.

Defence is still not fully set with teh outs we have .

This isn't a low percentage starting 22.

This. When you've got guys that can do this up forward, playing as a forward (I assume Cuners will be playing a lot of HFF this year), it takes the burden off our pure mids in the forward line -- likely to mean that the overall balance is better which means that we aren't running our mids into the ground for the whole game (albeit they will be rotating in the forward line, of course).

Absolutely agree with you here... this is a serious structural advantage and the wise use of energy during a game across the team can't be underestimated and will pay massive dividends (in addition to Russell's work).

+1 and well said.

Murphy, Gibbs, all tried to help out by kicking goals. Meant they over extended and got caught out on the rebound.

This was partly the reason Carlton's mids were accused of being one way runners. In truth they were over committing to help the team score - something the fwds were unable to do.

Overall structure improves a heap if Cunners and Fasolo stand up and score.

Those rating Newmans toughness. Give him a tick but understand it is his first game for the blues (a soft praccy match). Even Boekhurst decided to show toughness when he knew it was important. It was Newman's first game for the blues so of course he was out to go 100%. Some of the bombers werent at that level in JLT 1.

We want Newman to do that week in week out. Let's watch 5 games before lauding him.

It is this overrating of everything Carlton that make opposition supporters laugh at us the most.

Already everyone has forgotten the "it is only a glorified practice run" that they were saying pre-game and that it meant nothing.
which supporters don't over-rate their team please?

Blue think that is a bit of a generslisation. I believe people are excited with the performances of some of our players, Walsh, SPS, Weitering and others rather than the win itself. You don't need wins to see players like Newman have genuine hardness

For me, results meant nothing over the last 3 years, especially JLT, as it was about bringing together a core group of young talent and retain/acquire anyone that was prepared to buy in.

I understand the optimism of some, but I doubt anyone is racing off to buy finals tickets.

At some point though, the doubters either buy in, or they will be left behind

Yep. Positive signs we are on the right track. Nothing more nothing less

which supporters don't over-rate their team please?

I know. Everyone does. We used to have a supporter and ex player as our club president (sticks). He overrated our players too so makes it alright.

Since 2007 on this forum i have heard about this depth we have, and fight for positions pre round 1 (posted every year by numerous posters). I then look at our results and wooden spoons during that time. It is just moronic.

Only now, or more likely in 2020 can we say we have a good fight for positions.

Does it matter if supporters over rate everything Carlton. Well, i think it can help keep a club on the straight and narrow towards winning a flag. WHs, Sticks lasted WAY too long.

Yes on all counts

Was surprised he fell out of favour after a solid 2017
Think it was the emergence of Lloyd that did for Newman as he has more speed and creativity, would have loved for Carlton to have a shot at him before he resigned last year he is a gun hb.

This. When you've got guys that can do this up forward, playing as a forward (I assume Cuners will be playing a lot of HFF this year), it takes the burden off our pure mids in the forward line -- likely to mean that the overall balance is better which means that we aren't running our mids into the ground for the whole game (albeit they will be rotating in the forward line, of course).

Absolutely agree with you here... this is a serious structural advantage and the wise use of energy during a game across the team can't be underestimated and will pay massive dividends (in addition to Russell's work).
Add Gibbons to this as another that can rotate through the middle and we really have some great versatility up forward and for resting the starting mids up forward without losing to much either way, is really starting to look like a team now. I think swapping Fish and Gibbo and Cunners and Sps will be a great weapon to use during games to keep players fresh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got around to watching JLT 1. Few observations:
  • First half was pretty good intensity for a pre-season game
  • 6/6/6 is going to be EFC achillies heel. Their weakness will probably show them get exposed a few times this year.
  • Newman does what Newman does. Played the same as he did for swans.
  • Have to be impressed by Setterfield's first hit out.
  • Good pressure & energy. Self belief in their fitness.
  • JW is da boss.
All in all, I wouldve thought both clubs wouldve been reasonably happy with the hit out.

Yep, the three talls up forward is awesome timing. Cunners, is physically ready to get the ground balls. Waiting on Fasolo but I love that he is experienced.

Gives us the choice of rolling the dice on all out attack (from mid to fwd 50) in the hope of outscoring what our defence will leak. Then set up to stop counter-attack...not sure if we have that sorted.

Could be Carlton should just go for it and roll that attack dice.

Someone like Fisher would have to love the new 6/6/6 rules. Gives him the space to cut through the midfield.

One of the reasons I'm hoping to see Kennedy get a run - his positioning and blocking at stoppages is a huge step up from our other mids. He's the player who will sacrifice his own game to clear a path for someone else to shine, and guys like Fisher, Dow, Cripps, SPS, Walsh, Stocker etc. could benefit in a BIG way. If they get a clean break out of the stoppage, the new rules have opened up a paddock of space between the centre bounce and the forward line for them to run into.

I know Matty isn't the quickest, but he may complement the other mids in a way that means we don't need another runner.

Just got around to watching JLT 1. Few observations:
  • First half was pretty good intensity for a pre-season game
  • 6/6/6 is going to be EFC achillies heel. Their weakness will probably show them get exposed a few times this year.
  • Newman does what Newman does. Played the same as he did for swans.
  • Have to be impressed by Setterfield's first hit out.
  • Good pressure & energy. Self belief in their fitness.
  • JW is da boss.
All in all, I wouldve thought both clubs wouldve been reasonably happy with the hit out.

They don't have any inside midfielders.:D

I think Setters is on track. I've watched the replay 3 times and followed him almost exclusively when he was in the centre and he got some nice touches, tips to advantage, and just tackled like a machine. He reminded me of Kouta. I think we got us a great one.

I think Setters is on track. I've watched the replay 3 times and followed him almost exclusively when he was in the centre and he got some nice touches, tips to advantage, and just tackled like a machine. He reminded me of Kouta. I think we got us a great one.

He’s just so clean with the ball. Rarely fumbles and that’s what I see in great players. One touch. Has the work rate and effort to support it.

Just needs to stay fit

They don't have any inside midfielders.:D

That's not quite true.... they've got David Myers... at least pretty sure he's still on their list. I reckon that's why they've named Stringer at centre for tonight's game. Getting desperate.

They really should have gone hard for Kennedy, Setterfield, Miles, Wallis...

Can't wait for round 11.... witnessing Myers or Langford try and contain Cripps at the stoppage... always a great watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back