Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He can, but the same obstacles I presented still apply. He cant quote a price to make himself unobtainable and Essendon can still redraft him. This scenario presents as worse for Joe as he has little bearing on where he would end up. If the issue is with Essendon then its not so bad. If the issue is the fishbowl nature of Melbournes media then it becomes problematic. (Presuming there is an issue...)

I still think he stays in this scenario
I dont think Essendon would finish below Sydney for that to be a concern

Will be the most watched & scrutinised player in the comp when he returns.

The bigfooty body language experts are going to have a field day!!

If he gets back to 2017 form in the 2nd of half of 2020 then he will command a big contract - if he breaks down again then things get a lot muddier.

Gonna be an interesting one to follow because everyone knows where he wanted to go while under contract.

2017: 23 year old AA key forward kicking 65 goals
2018/19: 11 games, maybe one or two good ones in that

He's 26 tomorrow and no one really knows what to expect this year. Jon Patton is a year older and played 12 games in 2018 then none last year (was fit late in the season but didn't want to risk injury and wasn't needed). His peak wasn't as high in 2017 (kicked 45 goals) but was given away for nothing in a salary dump which is a long way from what Essendon wanted for Joe Derp. If it was me I would've traded him in 2019 if pick 9 was on the table.

What is going to make it fun is if he comes back and has a strong finish to the season. Dodo will want a king's ransom, Sydney will want to sign him as a FA.

Will be the most watched & scrutinised player in the comp when he returns.

The bigfooty body language experts are going to have a field day!!

If he gets back to 2017 form in the 2nd of half of 2020 then he will command a big contract - if he breaks down again then things get a lot muddier.
muddier? if he breaks down again he is literally worth nothing.

Dodoro was an absolute fool not to trade him for pick 9 plus whatever else Sydney were offering. Will be very interesting to see if this finally wakes Essendon supporters up to how terribly overrated he is (Dodoro, not Daniher) or if they keep chugging the kool aid. History suggests the latter.
Not much us supporters can do.

He's 26 tomorrow and no one really knows what to expect this year. Jon Patton is a year older and played 12 games in 2018 then none last year (was fit late in the season but didn't want to risk injury and wasn't needed). His peak wasn't as high in 2017 (kicked 45 goals) but was given away for nothing in a salary dump which is a long way from what Essendon wanted for Joe Derp. If it was me I would've traded him in 2019 if pick 9 was on the table.
The Patton trade isn't useful as a valuing tool because Essendon doesn't have a need to get rid of Daniher in order to be able to keep paying players they want to keep.

The Patton trade isn't useful as a valuing tool because Essendon doesn't have a need to get rid of Daniher in order to be able to keep paying players they want to keep.

We are still talking about an iffy player, though. I doubt Hawthorn are paying Patton big dollars for the next 3-4 years.

He's played 11 games in two years. If that becomes 15-20 over 3 then it puts his value in a tricky spot. If I was a Sydney fan I would not want the club putting up a band 1 compo worthy contract for a guy that's played 20 games in 3 years, but then if I was Essendon I wouldn't want to just let him go for a second round pick which could be in the 30s.

We are still talking about an iffy player, though. I doubt Hawthorn are paying Patton big dollars for the next 3-4 years.

He's played 11 games in two years. If that becomes 15-20 over 3 then it puts his value in a tricky spot. If I was a Sydney fan I would not want the club putting up a band 1 compo worthy contract for a guy that's played 20 games in 3 years, but then if I was Essendon I wouldn't want to just let him go for a second round pick which could be in the 30s.

A fair observation. To some degree the comp thing from ess had to be estimated when they held hard and didnt trade him, or let it be known they would not trade him for what Syd would trade. If he has a poor year , it will make Oct neg interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fair observation. To some degree the comp thing from ess had to be estimated when they held hard and didnt trade him, or let it be known they would not trade him for what Syd would trade. If he has a poor year , it will make Oct neg interesting.

It's going to take roughly 5 years @ $750k to tickle band 1 free agency compo based on recent examples. Lycett was band 2, Brandon Ellis band 3. That;s a lot of money for a player who has missed a lot of footy.

I highly doubt that Essendon would be interested in pick 19 in a draft full of NGA prospects that will end up around pick 25 in return for Daniher. So it could become a bit of a circular negotiation between how much Sydney are willing to pay vs how much they are willing to give up in a trade etc. Would you rather pay overs in a contract or give up a draft pick?

It's going to take roughly 5 years @ $750k to tickle band 1 free agency compo based on recent examples. Lycett was band 2, Brandon Ellis band 3. That;s a lot of money for a player who has missed a lot of footy.

I highly doubt that Essendon would be interested in pick 19 in a draft full of NGA prospects that will end up around pick 25 in return for Daniher. So it could become a bit of a circular negotiation between how much Sydney are willing to pay vs how much they are willing to give up in a trade etc. Would you rather pay overs in a contract or give up a draft pick?
All of what you have said is why Essendon should have accepted what Sydney offered last year. May have been the best offer they were going to get for him.

Pick 5 wasn't on the table.
Are you sure about that. Prepared to be corrected but didn't you want 2 first rounders, which would have meant that Sydney needed to find a second first rounder to go with pick 5, therefore meaning pick 5 was on the table.

Are you sure about that. Prepared to be corrected but didn't you want 2 first rounders, which would have meant that Sydney needed to find a second first rounder to go with pick 5, therefore meaning pick 5 was on the table.

I thought the best offer was pick 9 and future first with picks going back to Sydney

I thought the best offer was pick 9 and future first with picks going back to Sydney
You may be right, that my have been the best offer.

Sydney never had pick 9, they had pick 5. Sydney finished too low on the table to have received pick 9. Pick 9 belonged to Carlton which Sydney wanted for Tom Papley, which didn't go through. This would have then been passed on to you guys. Therefore the 2 first rounders you guys wanted didn't happen, perhaps as Sydney (quite rightly) were not prepared to hand over pick 5 as part of the deal.

You may be right, that my have been the best offer.

Sydney never had pick 9, they had pick 5. Sydney finished too low on the table to have received pick 9. Pick 9 belonged to Carlton which Sydney wanted for Tom Papley, which didn't go through. This would have then been passed on to you guys. Therefore the 2 first rounders you guys wanted didn't happen, perhaps as Sydney (quite rightly) were not prepared to hand over pick 5 as part of the deal.
The talk was that Sydney were offering pick 9, which as you point out they didn't even have. They never offered pick 5, though media speculated that 5 and 9 should get it done (or 9 and a second, or a few other things that were thrown around). Hard to see Sydney parting with that kind of capital for a player that's barely played though unless they 100% believe that they're getting a near-AA player with zero injuries at a minimum.

For Essendon's part, we apparently wanted a KPF of similar age to replace him, which is a fair ask since right up until the trade period he wasn't going anywhere and he was definitely staying and we've spent 7-10 years building a list around him. You can hardly pull the key piece out of the puzzle at that point without hurting the entire club and the list. A lot of questions were asked, including apparently of Mason Cox, but neither club could produce a KPF from anywhere in the country, that was willing and able to be traded at the last minute.

So Sydney weren't willing to part with the picks necessary to get it done without including a player, and Essendon wouldn't accept any less without a replacement.

I don't think either club were unreasonable in what they were willing to do, nor were they unreasonable in refusing to accept anything less.

That's what you call a stalemate.

If you have further points of discussion, we have an entire thread dedicated to what happened last year in the history sub-board:
Contracted Joe Daniher [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

This thread is meant to be about the situation in 2020.

He is now a restricted free agent, Essendon have drafted a couple of talls, particularly Harry Jones (also a couple of rucks and an Irishman that we think will play defence), so may be in a better position to deal with whatever might come. Sydney have a year to come up with a free agency offer that can't (or won't) be matched.

All parties have about seven months to figure it out, with Joe having a season in front of him (or the better part of one, covid19 permitting), to prove his fitness and decide what he wants to do.

Sure. All info that Ess woul have had to have known in last Oct. They took a risk , a bigger risk that what Geelong did with kelly. Kelly coming off a season where he was playing every game, Daniher is struggling to get on the ground..who knows what comp he gets from a deal. Pull a stubbie out the fridge and open a packet nibbles.. will be interesting come this Oct.

Back