List Mgmt. List Management 2017 -Who Stays, Who Goes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I completely agree with this and I think a guy like Amon could be on the trade table as well if any of Toumpas, McKenzie or Trengove have a really good year and force their way into the team. Not sure about contracts though and if any of the older guys were to fall off a cliff we could have a retirement but hopefully not.
I don't think Amon will be 0n the trade table.
I have been watching all our 2017 replays and he has not done much wrong in any of them.
Liked his tackling, and his in and under stuff. In his last game, even the commentators were impressed, and said he has only made one mistake in the game, and that was a kick out of bounds.

Last edited:
The other possibility is that the rookie list disappears altogether, moving to a list of 44 overall, plus cat B rookies (which I guess just become rookies?)

Then Hewett, Snelling, Toump + the worst performing of McKenzie, Trengove, Neade etc can all go.

We might also find the likes of Broadbent and Amon on the trade table.

We could use a couple of our later picks (2x3rd rounders) for a possible academy pick swap to move up the draft order?

Reckon Whesthoffs gone after next year a few young talls needing games. Jack Trengove may not get an opotunity, Neade, Hewitt and Don Barry could only be signed to a 1 year deal because he's played AFL before.

Could imagine a half back being traded, maybe Broadbent from lack of opportunity. Can imagine port trying to move up the draft to get Rankine or Lukosius so we may not use all 5 picks.

I think as long as Westhoff maintains the level he's at then he's not going anywhere. Ken isn't one to retire a player unless their body isn't up to it.

Now that our list is finalised do I have this right?

39 on main list, 5 rookies (Ladhams, Lienert, Snelling, Hewett, Thomas), 1 category B rookie (Irra).

Also, any rookie can be played in 2018 at any time so the distinction between main list and rookie list is only relevant now for salary cap reasons?

Now that our list is finalised do I have this right?

39 on main list, 5 rookies (Ladhams, Lienert, Snelling, Hewett, Thomas), 1 category B rookie (Irra).

Also, any rookie can be played in 2018 at any time so the distinction between main list and rookie list is only relevant now for salary cap reasons?
If true then maybe Thomas, Irra and Lienert might sneak a few games in the A grade side.

Might be just me, but Im starting to think the Maggies wont be significantly weaker in 2018.

Definite chance of top 3 IMO.

Our AFL side is what really matters, but all up I reckon we've regenerated the squad without really hurting our depth that much.

Summary:

In: 10

FA in - Rockliff & Motlop
Trade in - Watts
DFA in – McKenzie & Trengove

Draft picks:
Sam Hayes 203 cm 93kg ruck
Kane Farrell 182cm 74kg HBF/mid
Jake Patmore 181cm 72kg HBF/mid
Joel Garner 184cm 83kg HBF/mid
Dom Barry 179cm 76kg mid/forward
Lindsay Thomas 180cm 79kg forward

Out: 11
Trade out – Impey, Ah Chee, Young, Austin & Lobbe
FA out - Trengove
Retire – Krakouer & Monfries
Delistings – White, Palmer & Eddy

Draft picks 2018: Port 1st, St. Kilda 2nd, Port 2nd, North 3rd, Port 3rd

Summary:

In: 10

Trade in - Watts

Draft picks:
Lindsay Thomas 180cm 79kg forward

FA out - Trengove

You might want to count the "ins" again. I get 11 ins.

Tip- in addition to using fingers, drop your dacks to count.;)

We have loaded up for 2018 but the key to list management is building for the future too. Here is our Under 25 team:

F Neade Hayes Johnson
HF Atley Marshall Drew
C Amon Wines Barry
HB Bonner Hombsch Houston
B DBJ Clurey Lienert

R Frampton Powell-Pepper Wingard

I Garner Farrell Patmore Ladhams

E Hewett Snelling Toumpas Irra

16 have already played AFL, one has won a B&F and AA honours. Add in a series of good draft picks in 2018 and keep the troops from Levering and we can expect to play finals for a decade.

How good will our centre square rotations with Frampton, Hayes, Wines, Wingard, Powell-Pepper, Atley, Drew and Garner be in 5 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have loaded up for 2018 but the key to list management is building for the future too. Here is our Under 25 team:

F Neade Hayes Johnson
HF Atley Marshall Drew
C Amon Wines Barry
HB Bonner Hombsch Houston
B DBJ Clurey Lienert

R Frampton Powell-Pepper Wingard

I Garner Farrell Patmore Ladhams

E Hewett Snelling Toumpas Irra

16 have already played AFL, one has won a B&F and AA honours. Add in a series of good draft picks in 2018 and keep the troops from Levering and we can expect to play finals for a decade.

How good will our centre square rotations with Frampton, Hayes, Wines, Wingard, Powell-Pepper, Atley, Drew and Garner be in 5 years?
Thought 'DOOOGS' Howard is worth a spot.....still young!!!

Does anyone have a definitive source saying that Dan Houston is permanently senior listed? Everything I can find excludes him from the list of rookie upgrades prior to the draft. Seems to me that he's still a rookie. Of course, this would mean we have 38 on the main list and can fill the last 2 spots whenever the urge strikes us (as we did in 2017 with Eddy and Dan himself) so no biggie I guess, but thought he would be officially rewarded for his efforts this season.

Going by Patrick Keane's rookie upgrade tweet, it looks like Houston is still a rookie.

It's probably a TPP decision more than anything else. Houston has already been rewarded with a 2 year contract, half of which can sit outside of the salary cap in year 1.

Westhoff on the delist pile????? What twilight zone have I walked into.

On another note the Magpies will clearly be weaker next year, we've clearly lost depth. In particular it is possible that we'll be suiting up without a key forward in SANFL. Marshall, Watts, Westy & Dixon are all we have as key forwards, other than Howard whose likely to play as AFL CHB. So we might have a forward half with Mayes and Ladhams as the keys. They will get slaughtered.

On another note the Magpies will clearly be weaker next year, we've clearly lost depth. In particular it is possible that we'll be suiting up without a key forward in SANFL. Marshall, Watts, Westy & Dixon are all we have as key forwards, other than Howard whose likely to play as AFL CHB. So we might have a forward half with Mayes and Ladhams as the keys. They will get slaughtered.
Coobk001 relax man, I don't reckon it's as bad as you think.

Neade?

Going by Patrick Keane's rookie upgrade tweet, it looks like Houston is still a rookie.

It's probably a TPP decision more than anything else. Houston has already been rewarded with a 2 year contract, half of which can sit outside of the salary cap in year 1.

More likely that Keane just got it wrong considering that the club has already announced that Houston has been upgraded.

More likely that Keane just got it wrong considering that the club has already announced that Houston has been upgraded.

From what I recall, Gil himself stated that 11 players had been upgraded to senior lists as part of his official rules speech directly before the draft. Keane's tweet's got 11 players on it, and I haven't seen anything official from Port saying Houston will be senior listed for next year.

The reason I asked is because so many people presumed it would happen that now they still seem to presume that it did happen.

From what I can tell we are going into 2018 which 38 seniors and 6 rookies + Irra

In: 11
Trade in - Watts

Main Draft picks:

Rookie Draft pick:
Lindsay Thomas

FA out - Trengove

Let me get this straight...

So, we brought in:

a) Rockliff, Motlop, and Watts;
b) Thomas and Trengove;
c) McKenzie and Barry;
d) Hayes;
e) Farrell, Patmore, and Gardner.

Three First-XXII; two talented and experienced leaders; two young men with AFL experience; a promising ruck prospect; and three fast and talented youngsters.

Is that it?!

Last edited:
Let me get this straight...

So, we brought in:

a) Rockliff, Motlop, and Watts;
b) Thomas and Trengove;
c) McKenzie and Barry;
d) Hayes;
e) Farrell, Patmore, and Gardner.

Three First-XXII; two talented and experienced leaders; two young men with AFL experience; a promising ruck prospect; and three fast and talented youngsters.

Is that it?!
nah, apparently all we have are rejets.

nah, apparently all we have are rejets.

All 25-30-year-old rejects, even though six newcomers are younger than that.

Oh! And, apparently, we got rid of our 20-25-year-olds, like Angus, Krak, White, Eddy, ...

(in fairness, it was only one post saying that; but, I couldn't resist)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back