Majak Daw Charged with Rape

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to argue that a punch to the jaw has the same long term impact to the victim as rape you're proving yourself to be incredibly ignorant.

Even if we assume the victim doesn't suffer any physical harm during the rape, the psychological harm is severe and long lasting.

After watching my brother go into rehab to get himself back together after being punched to the jaw, gives me a different perspective on this.. I can tell you there is plenty of psychological harm involved for the victim and there family!

No Im saying that its a ridiculous attitude to say Daw should be sacked as its not a good look while somehow its ok to get behind a person convicted of assault. Just ridiculous to assume what people accept as ok and whats not.
I'm not interested in a debate about what's worse. But I will say this. Assault can be throwing a punch out of frustration or drunken stupidity. Does that excuse it? No. But rape requires a hell of a lot more consideration, thought and intent than assault.

Its that fact that was the reason. Your club certainly didn't mind keeping on blokes with similar indiscretions as long as he was liked by the boys.

Our club offloaded him because Knights was clueless.

Give me a break, Milne's disciplinary track record was nowhere near as bad as Lovett's and it was that track record which was the reason your club got rid of him too, it had nothing to do with Knights.

Not at all.

They have asked for his promotional duties to be decreased, that's all
They won't be telling him to suspend him. They'll be suggesting North "stand him down" for a few weeks. That's how they work.

Of course they can suffer psychologically. You're not going to get an argument from me that our society is generally too accepting of physical assault. But on the whole the long term impact of sexual assault is much more severe. I'd get you some links to the myriad of studies that would show the increased rate of suicide amongst rape victims, the self blaming that can ruin people, etc, but I don't want to have a "mental effects of rape" search show up in my work history.

As far as ranking crimes, ummmmm. That's pretty much exactly what our justice system does with its sentencing laws? We as a society rank crimes literally all the time.

I assume that your background is in the Psychologies as well. From my experience, this is not necessarily true.
Studies themselves are not indicative either, filedrawer biases etc.

To automatically take this stance would be a bit silly as well. It speaks nothing of the extent of trauma experienced, the internal representations of the event, resilience and individual differences.

But having said that, if you have some reputable papers (i.e. meta analyses, cross-cultural and taking into account of null effect studies), I'd love to see them.

Yeah, but rape has the potential to cause a lot more damage to a person then getting smacked in the jaw.

I don't want to get into an argument over which crime is worse, because quite clearly both rape and king hits are horrible crimes that don't deserve any sort of justification, under any circumstance.

However your comment comes across as terribly naive and certainly indicates you don't understand just how serious the consequences of a king hit can be.

King hits can easily lead to death. Does the name Daniel Christie ring a bell? Earlier this year he became Australia's 15th fatality from king hits in the past few years.

I reckon you've missed the mark by a long, long way on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a tough situation that North find themselves in with how to handle this situation - no matter how they will react there will be people that will be critical and complain that either they have been too soft and not taking the situation seriously, or that the club is being too harsh and not allowing justice to be served first.

A couple of years back with Geelong when Jessie Stringer was questioned on an alleged assault (don't know if he was ever charged), he was suspended from the AFL side for the rest of the year, a 4 or 6 week suspension from the club and after that period he would be permitted to play VFL.
The AFL praised Geelong's handling of the situation but the AFL players association were critical of the club and that "the decisions to impose sanctions of this type, and to issue public statements of the nature that have been issued, have a very real potential to undermine the fundamental rights and interests of the individuals involved in the case".
Yep I think it's why these decisions have to be made case by case.

Take Toby Greene. Fighting a bouncer is definitely a lesser crime than rape. But there he is in the footage clearly in a fight and having drinks. He had to be punished for drinking when injured and they may as well have got some of the initial punishment for brawling out of the way even if the AFLPA didn't like it done that way.

These criminal matters are probably the rare time where the AFL's deal making and public image type of policies are probably the right way to go.

Interesting how this comes to light now, 7 years after the supposed incident, when he suddenly has an afl career ahead of him. I'm not doubting the severity of the charges nor the unsavoury nature of them, yet it seems odd how the victim would press charges this far after the incident.

Interesting how this comes to light now, 7 years after the supposed incident, when he suddenly has an afl career ahead of him. I'm not doubting the severity of the charges nor the unsavoury nature of them, yet it seems odd how the victim would press charges this far after the incident.
He's been an AFL player for years. Victims taking a long time to feel comfortable coming forward is not unusual at all. Understand where you're coming from, but a very silly thing to say.

No it doesn't.

7 years is not that big a delay in sex offence matters. There are plenty of cases in Victorian courts going back to the 1980s and 1970s. Hell, there was one going back to the 1950s just last year.

The court process is a quite brutal one for complainants. It can take time to be strong enough and to build up the courage to go through it.

Rape has the potential to be more damaging than getting smacked in the mouth but, conversely, getting smacked in the mouth also has the potential to be much more damaging than a rape. You can't take a blanket argument of rape is always worse than assault as different cases result in different outcomes depending on several factors including the severity of violence, the mental strength of the individual victim or just bad luck.

I personally think that players should be suspended pending the completion of the case for any violent crime. Delisting before the case has been concluded is an inappropriate response but a temporary standing down of the player should be automatic.

Why oh why did this have to come out during school holidays.

You think this doesn't happen? You think every male who has gone to court is guilty? Maybe you should be back at school. ;)

This incident occurred years before Daw was drafted. There is no reason to stand him down, either morally or legally.
Even if he is guilty of what he's alleged to have done, my guess is that being suspended wouldn't make any difference to the risk of him doing it again.

So there's no public safety reason to stand him down - the only reason would be the "it's not a good look" / PR / image management reason that drives a lot of AFL decision-making these days.

I don't want to get into an argument over which crime is worse, because quite clearly both rape and king hits are horrible crimes that don't deserve any sort of justification, under any circumstance.

However your comment comes across as terribly naive and certainly indicates you don't understand just how serious the consequences of a king hit can be.

King hits can easily lead to death. Does the name Daniel Christie ring a bell? Earlier this year he became Australia's 15th fatality from king hits in the past few years.

I reckon you've missed the mark by a long, long way on this one.

I'd suggest there have been a lot more than 15 fatalities from rape incidents over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back