Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Guns Squad for games against Vic Metro & Vic Country over the next 2 weeks. These players are eligible for the MSD

View attachment 1962134

Ryan Eyre lol. Most of these little campaigners you can't tell which is the surname and which is the christian name. ******* Cooper Trembath, Tobyn Murray. No, just no.

Gold Coast started compromising drafts in 2010, the year Dimma came on board. Definitely enough time for a full rebuild.
After 6 years we still only finished 13th, Devils are coming in 4 years, In 6 years time the Devils will still be getting draft picks and free agents handed to them by the AFL, there will be no meatball, Lynch etc available. We need to be back in the finals well before they arrive a total rebuild usually takes many years to complete, do the math.

1713512818973.png

We've all been keeping a bit of an eye on this guy, but he seems to be really buying into what the team needs. He turns 20 in August and is around 200cm so will likely be a couple of years off the physical maturity and co-ordination required for AFL footy. I am starting to think if he keeps going on a similar trajectory it is a matter of when and not if he finds himself on an AFL list. Richmond can take 2 and possibly 3 guys in the MSD if they care to, and I am wondering now if the club might pull the trigger on this project key forward sooner rather than later. 9 tackles is a hell of a number for a key forward but if he is good at trapping the ball in and around 200cm, then he is an AFL forward one day, it is as simple as that.

View attachment 1964089

We've all been keeping a bit of an eye on this guy, but he seems to be really buying into what the team needs. He turns 20 in August and is around 200cm so will likely be a couple of years off the physical maturity and co-ordination required for AFL footy. I am starting to think if he keeps going on a similar trajectory it is a matter of when and not if he finds himself on an AFL list. Richmond can take 2 and possibly 3 guys in the MSD if they care to, and I am wondering now if the club might pull the trigger on this project key forward sooner rather than later. 9 tackles is a hell of a number for a key forward but if he is good at trapping the ball in and around 200cm, then he is an AFL forward one day, it is as simple as that.
I doubt it. He's a long term prospect and unless he goes on a goal kicking spree I'd be surprised if he wasn't available won't our last pick in the rookie draft at the end of the season.

I doubt it. He's a long term prospect and unless he goes on a goal kicking spree I'd be surprised if he wasn't available won't our last pick in the rookie draft at the end of the season.
I'd be happy if we took him in the MSD as it gives him the advantage of spending an extra 6 months in a full time program which would see him get a head start heading into 2025. Anyone we pick up now isn't really going to make a massive difference to how our season goes this year.

Clubs aren't necessarily looking for guys who kick goals at VFL level. Ryan for example is getting plenty of goals at that level and whilst he looks a decent marking target forward for a resting ruck, if the sherrin hits the deck he has got no chance against AFL defenders of even stopping them waltzing out of the backline with the footy. Key forwards who can stand up in contests against multiple opponents and also stop the ball escaping the area by laying tackles are much more valuable than someone who can kick 2-3 goals per game average at VFL level, which might translate to one contested mark and a goal a game at AFL level if you are lucky.

I'd be happy if we took him in the MSD as it gives him the advantage of spending an extra 6 months in a full time program which would see him get a head start heading into 2025. Anyone we pick up now isn't really going to make a massive difference to how our season goes this year.

That will be the club's thinking for sure. They will be happy to take project types and give them a head start for future years. What I like about May is his improvement, he wasn't often able to stand up in contests before and was struggling on the ground. Just watching him the last couple of times I have seen him he has clearly improved in those areas which means he is focussing on the things that could make him viable at AFL level one day.

It'd just be too much of a reach at this stage for me. He has shown some good signs but not enough to be on a list yet IMO.
Clubs aren't necessarily looking for guys who kick goals at VFL level. Ryan for example is getting plenty of goals at that level and whilst he looks a decent marking target forward for a resting ruck, if the sherrin hits the deck he has got no chance against AFL defenders of even stopping them waltzing out of the backline with the footy. Key forwards who can stand up in contests against multiple opponents and also stop the ball escaping the area by laying tackles are much more valuable than someone who can kick 2-3 goals per game average at VFL level, which might translate to one contested mark and a goal a game at AFL level if you are lucky.
Ryan is projecting as a ruck long term. May is a legit KPF, barely VFL level at this stage.

It'd just be too much of a reach at this stage for me. He has shown some good signs but not enough to be on a list yet IMO.

Ryan is projecting as a ruck long term. May is a legit KPF, barely VFL level at this stage.

We shall see. Maybe the 9 tackle game was an anomaly. But if you think about where someone like Ben Miller was at the same age, this would equate to early 2019 for Miller, and he was barely keeping his head above water at VFL level. A player like Archie May in the future could possibly fill a similar role on our list, ie if not a best 22 player, a viable injury replacement. Frampton just played in a flag team. So if you can provide a contest, you don't necessarily have to be a superstar at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can manage to snag at least 1 decent prospect out of our 2 picks it’d be huge. I’d be going to the best 19/20yr olds

View attachment 1964089

Looks quite similar to lord from PA , I agree unless more pressing options present then he could be worth it ,,still I like. Mutaz

I was mentioning Woodcock last year but he got overlooked again. Still only 23 and killing it at Southport. What is the reason that he is continually overlooked?
Impossible for him to survive at Richmond. When he was at Port, constantly staged for frees and threw his head back. Won't get any treatment from the umps so no hope for us.

Jasper Scaife

I want this bloke
Could be a worthwhile pick if we're not sold on May. On the skinny side as he's listed at just 85kg, so would be another project player

MSD would give him 3 months as a full time professional player inside our system. By then we would have a good idea if he will make it and if we think he can then we have first option to sign him for next season. This seems to be the real value of the MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back