Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a few years back I was in a queue behind Paul Roos at noisette. He and his wife were squinting at the baguettes trying to read the signs that say what the fillings are - I helped them out with one that they were struggling to read and said I thought it was Brie and Serrano ham. I didn't want him to feel like an old guy so I kind of smiled and followed up with "yeah that writing is really small, should really be bigger". That's the moment when I realised it was Paul Roos, I just thought it was a squinting stooping guy originally, so I followed up with a "Go the Mighty Dees". They looked more alarmed than grateful. It was all pointless anyway because they ordered mini cheesecakes and earl grey tea. I don't know why I bother.

Used to see Darren Bewick at the Redback Brewery in North Melb, near Royal Children's. He was fairly p1ssed quite often mid-week and in-season. Didn't seem to affect his game day though... Impressive.

Lived in North Fitzroy many years ago - Tony McGuiness lived nearby,as did the then-Demon Tony Campbell and Ken Hunter. Also Red Symons, and Brian Mannix lived a few doors up.

None of them looked like Steven King.

Was in the Francis Hotel many years ago (about 1990-ish) with mates on a Sat night, when 20 or so Ess and North players came in as a group. Somehow I ended up in a shout with John McCarthy amongst others - he told me he "was sick of being played out of position and could win the Brownlow if that f-wit Schimmelbusch could actually coach" (his words, not mine).

McCarthy's words about Schimma were actually complimentary compared to Rock and Chandler's opinions of the coach.

One day I hope to bump into Schimma and ask his opinion of those three, or if he thinks any if them look like Steven King.

Edit: forgot to add it was just after McCarthy kicked 8 goals in a night game vs Saints, and he walked me through pretty much all of them, and thought Longmire and Carey, who also kicked a few in the same game, deliberately stopped him from kicking quite a few more. The more sh1t he spouted, the more my mate and I egged him on. In the end one of the Essendon and another North player told him to just shut the $&@€ up. Ah, good times.

Last edited:
I saw Stevie J at the bank once, he'd lost his ATM card and was getting cash. I wanted to see how much, but it would have been weird to stay and watch.

Was cycling home from work along Swan street this arvo, and saw a hulk of a man on a push bike wearing a Collingwood back pack with the initials AR on the back of it. ''Twas Anthony Rocca. Went straight past him as he lumbered along.

Worst 200 game player with his initials on his back pack ever.

Worst 200 game player riding a bike with his initials on his back pack ever

I can't remember if I said this last week so ill say it again. Saw Jamie Elliot in the ALDI car park in Shepparton over Christmas

Was at a Glenelg v Norwood night game at The Parade about 5 years ago. James Sellar had been dropped by the Crows and was in and out of Glenelg's team with injury, and wasn't playing that day, but was still named in the budget. We were standing on the wing and a mate of mine who was reading the budget spent a solid 3 minutes openly bagging the sh*t out of Sellar.

After the open sledge a tall bloke standing to our right with a trendy beanie glanced over and gave a wink. His missus grabbed his arm, told my mate to f*ck off and they left.

That was the day we met James Sellar.

Saw "The Hoff" in his food van "Forage Supply Co." at the Tanunda Xmas Street party.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's out for back/neck related issues this season having to crane himself over in that cramped space!

Proceeded to bottom the van out towing it off the kerb at pack-up time as well!

Nice guy though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to play junior footy with Lance Whitnall, Darren Milburn & Anthony Rocca.

I saw Mark Richardson pissed on two separate occasions once at a pub in Hawthorn the other time in Crown.

Met Paul Wheatley at a party. Had a chat but I think he got over talking to me.

Saw half the Demons side at a pub in Prahran. I played it cool but did manage to strike up a conversation with Brent Grgic. Asked about an injury that occurred during the day. He assured me it was only cramp then missed the next week.

Met Neale Daniher at a bar at the Aus Open tennis. I was blind drunk & went up to him. He was great & even came up to me & said goodbye when he left.

Was doing a delivery at a school & there was a landscaper working & it was Terry Daniher. He said G'day when he must of known I recognized him

Got served by Boomer Harvey in a sport store in Northland. I only knew that because my mate was friends with him & told me he played for North.

Once saw Aker at Bunnings.

Saw Jeff Farmer at a club in the city. They had a win earlier that day against North so I said Go Dees to him. He looked at me like I was the biggest drop kick of all time. I was going to say something nasty to him then I looked in the corner & saw Byron Pickett, Winston Abraham & about 10 others. Decided it might be a better idea to hold my tongue & carry the weight of being dismissed by the Wizard for the next couple of decades.

Saw Jeff Farmer at a club in the city. They had a win earlier that day against North so I said Go Dees to him. He looked at me like I was the biggest drop kick of all time. I was going to say something nasty to him then I looked in the corner & saw Byron Pickett, Winston Abraham & about 10 others. Decided it might be a better idea to hold my tongue & carry the weight of being dismissed by the Wizard for the next couple of decades.
Until now.

Was killing time having a beer at an average pub in Vic Park Perth,when I saw Reece concave sitting by himself in the dodgey tab betting mid week,mid afternoon. Wanting to ask how the punt was going but figured he was betting during the day,mid week at a s**t pub because he wanted to avoid people, so I let him be.
Dont bag the Franklins Tavern!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Swam in the same pool water as Glen Jakovich at a Broome beach resort circa 06/07.

Stayed at the villa next to Brett Heady and his family over NYE 2014. Played plenty of family cricket with him and his kids etc. Top bloke.

Saw Josh Hill at Old Faithful in Perth mid-September 2015. I gave him the "Hillyyy!!" and thumbs up and received the big grin and returned thumbs up.

Swam in the same pool water as Glen Jakovich at a Broome beach resort circa 06/07.

Stayed at the villa next to Brett Heady and his family over NYE 2014. Played plenty of family cricket with him and his kids etc. Top bloke.

Saw Josh Hill at Old Faithful in Perth mid-September 2015. I gave him the "Hillyyy!!" and thumbs up and received the big grin and returned thumbs up.
That reminds me; I once crashed into the back of Brett Heady while riding the tubes at Adventure World, circa early '90s. Hope I didn't break him. Heady days.

once saw Ben Kennedy on a flight I was on from Melbourne to Adelaide, he had just been traded from collingwood to melbourne, and he was on a budget airline, so of course I was thinking now that he doesn't play for collingwood that he could only afford to fly with budget airlines :)

Last edited:
A few years ago I was waiting at the pedestrian lights to cross Jacka Blvd in St Kilda and N Riewoldt was standing there too along with his hot wife. We crossed on the green and I went left to Donovans and he went right, I presume to The Stokehouse. Didn't say anything to him as Roo is a bit of a flog. BTW, Donovans is my favourite restaurant in Melb and the best dish is the Leader prawn entree. The best entree I've ever had are the chilli prawns at Rubira's. Rubira's half owner is the Uncle of that Taberner who plays for Freo although the Uncle is a mad Swans supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back