Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris Andrews was watching a NEAFL game at his old club Aspley and lined up for hot chips with the rest of us. He got a water as well and a Coke for Rhys Mathersion who didn’t wait in line.

I'm surprised that Rhys didn't just duck into the line and expect to get his stuff for free.

I saw Patrick Dangerfield at Coles in Geelong once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I saw Patrick Dangerfield at Coles in Geelong once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I think you meant to put this in the "most boring posts" thread.

Saw Andrew Mcleod going for a run along the Linear Park trail

he is still ripped as *

Saw Dion Prestia picking up some takeaway

Not quite a boring AFL player encounter but I bumped into Mal Maninga in circular quay in Sydney in 1993. I was a little drunk, not that familiar with rugby, and as a result I didn't quite recall his familiar face.

Unfortunately I got the big thick eyebrows confused with a Merv Hughes big thick moustach and greeted him with a loud drunken "Merv!"

He look a little angry but I lived to tell the story

Last edited:
Was riding behind Bob Murphy on high st prahran. He was dressed like he was straight outta footscray. But it looked weird on a bicycle.

He let me past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walking on the linear trail near my home I espied Johnno Brown running towards me like a locomotive.
As he drew level I nodded and said " Mr Brown". He replied "gday mate".
A few minutes later he passed me on the way back and noticed he has very skinny calves from all the running.

Back in the late 90s, I was walking along Brunswick St (footpath of south bound side) on a sunny Sunday arvo with Mrs 73, enjoying the atmosphere. I happened to look across to the north bound side as a tall figure was striding purposefully through the crowd. It was Matthew Richardson, wearing a baseball cap. Most of the crowd appeared oblivious to his presence, but I knew he was there. We turned to go into an eatery (think it was Joe's Garage, a favoutite at the time). I lost sight of him, and haven't seen Richo in person since. I often wonder where he was going that day, and what he did when he got there.

At the 2000 Olympics in Sydney I was lined up in a long queue at a food outlet. Directly in front of me were Wayne Campbell and a Richmond team mate (can't remember who).

In the adjacent queue were a couple of attractive young Brazilian women (possibly sisters), conversing in a foreign language (possibly Portuguese).

I focused my attention on the two Brazilians, and proceeded to ignore Campbell and his mate.

Campbell was facing away from me at all relevant times. So it’s unlikely he’ll remember it, if he was to be asked.

Last edited:
I saw Sean Denham at Waverley park in 1993. I said howdy and he said gday. I also saw Peter Somerville leaving the MCG one day. He looked annoyed so I didn’t bother him.

Was walking up from St Kilda beach in 2006 and saw Ron Barrassi on the other side of the street going the other way.
Was about 7am.

Some old flog further up the road shouted out THATS BARRAS, BARRAS!!!

Ron turned and gave a token wave as he kept his head down.

Still believe that old fella walking his dog had the revelation of his life.

Must live in the South Morang / Mill Park area. I saw him walking out of woolworths Rivergum (around the corner) about 10 years ago, a car drove up and picked him up.
Lives in Plenty I believe. I used to live near the Plenty Oval. Saw him several times kicking goals at the never. I said hi once. He replied with what I believed was a "hello mate" buy he was quiet spoken.

This was 2013 so he might have moved since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back