Most disappointing, underachieving lists ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
- St Kilda from 2004-2010
- Geelong from 2004-2007 (round 4 or so)
- GWS last decade
- Carlton late 2000's/early 2010's

Any others?

With Marc Murphy retiring, it reminds me of how disappointing Carlton was over the last 13 or so years. The careers of top draft picks like Murphy, Kruezer, and Gibbs are so depressing. Chris Judd was the best thing that happened to that club. Since he left, they've done absolutely nothing. They were developing in the right direction under Ratten.

- GWS last decade

Any others?

With Marc Murphy retiring, it reminds me of how disappointing Carlton was over the last 13 or so years. The careers of top draft picks like Murphy, Kruezer, and Gibbs are so depressing. Chris Judd was the best thing that happened to that club. Since he left, they've done absolutely nothing. They were developing in the right direction under Ratten.
Bulldogs 2010 was absurdly stacked, but peaked at a prelim

St Kilda with Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes, Milne and a bunch of other superstars I'm forgetting.

Eagles 2019-2021
Agreed.

2019 was a big disappointment. The team was right there with Richmond and Collingwood... Had extremely close losses at the MCG to them late in the season. We just fell off the last couple or so rounds, and lost the top 4 position. Lost to Hawthorn, which shouldn't have happened.

2020 we had significant injuries. Probably would've been top 4 if healthy. Not quite as disappointing as the others.

2021 was a major disappointment. Really strong in the first half of the season, despite injuries. Got healthy and fell off a cliff.

Not sure where we go from here? Maybe some of our core veterans are over-the-hill?

Definitely St Kilda 2004-2010 were an awesome team full of stars but could never get over the line in September.

As a cats fan watching our team develop I always felt we were 1 step behind St Kilda until 2007 where we went to another level.

Even after that I always had great respect for that side and think they should have won premiership but the footy gods didn’t agree ultimately.

I don’t consider teams like st kilda and the dogs from 07-11 in that sort of discussion because their actual level of performance in other years would have easily yielded premierships. There’s no shame in being outstanding and still having another couple of groups who play better. Cats 89-95 were in that boat a bit.
I think the freo side of last decade were a big underachiever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah really good side that one. My memory is they struggled big time against West Coast of that period though.
We did, however, we had the wood over the Swans in that period so it was a shame we never played them in the finals. Still, the biggest killer was the '05 QF loss to the Saints.

We did, however, we had the wood over the Swans in that period so it was a shame we never played them in the finals. Still, the biggest killer was the '05 QF loss to the Saints.
Was going to state this.

Crows > Swans > Fremantle > West Coast > Crows > Swans = West Coast < Fremantle

Was going to state this.

Crows > Swans > Fremantle > West Coast > Crows > Swans = West Coast < Fremantle
Yeah, that Freo side was arguably stronger than the 2012-2015 Freo side but Cuddles Connolly's main job was to be a walking Freo hype-man and not an actual coach. If we'd have had Lyon around that period I'm sure we'd have had at least 1 WC/Freo GF

- GWS last decade

Any others?

Think the Cats team gets a pass given that they were able to click and won 3 flags. None of those other teams listed were able to win one

Eagles 2019-2021

Predictable, but I think WC after 1994 are greater underachievers. From 1995-1995 we won 14, 15, 13, 12, 12 games.

St Kilda 2004-2006 really should've made a GF. More talented than the Ross Lyon teams IMO.

Ditto GWS 2016/17 before they had to shed players in a hurry.

Judd era Carlton is a terrible nomination. They were a painfully average team that peaked with a single 14 win season.

Predictable, but I think WC after 1994 are greater underachievers. From 1995-1995 we won 14, 15, 13, 12, 12 games.
Even if we got dudded twice (96, 99) by the MCG rule, not even making a prelim in that period was pretty poor, particularly in the next couple of years after winning in 94.

96 we had a chance for two home finals but lost to a Lockett-less Swans in the last round, before the MCG rule kicked us in the nuts for good measure. That one hurt. Must be said the Swans were bloody tough to beat by that point, particularly in Sydney. But still.... What an opportunity that went to waste. Even with Jakovich out that was still a premiership calibre team.

Looking back we copped some pretty brutal finals hidings at the G through that period. Maybe it was best we didn't take on Carey and the Roos in the GF that year :huh:

EDIT: Brisbane fans could also look back on 96 with a lot of regret.

Greater Western Sydney's 2017 side that only won 14 games and came fourth, and were pretty well taken care of in finals

B: Heath Shaw - Phil Davis - Adam Tomlinson
HB: Nathan Wilson - Aidan Corr - Nick Haynes
C: Tom Scully - Callan Ward - Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene - Jeremy Cameron - Devon Smith
F: Steve Johnson - Jonathan Patton - Rory Lobb
R: Shane Mumford - Josh Kelly - Dylan Shiel
I: Zac Williams - Steve Coniglio - Matt De Boer - Jacob Hopper

Depth: Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen, Matt Kennedy, Tim Taranto, Adam Kennedy, Sam Reid, Will Setterfield, Harry Himmelberg

Greater Western Sydney's 2017 side that only won 14 games and came fourth, and were pretty well taken care of in finals

B: Heath Shaw - Phil Davis - Adam Tomlinson
HB: Nathan Wilson - Aidan Corr - Nick Haynes
C: Tom Scully - Callan Ward - Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene - Jeremy Cameron - Devon Smith
F: Steve Johnson - Jonathan Patton - Rory Lobb
R: Shane Mumford - Josh Kelly - Dylan Shiel
I: Zac Williams - Steve Coniglio - Matt De Boer - Jacob Hopper

Depth: Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen, Matt Kennedy, Tim Taranto, Adam Kennedy, Sam Reid, Will Setterfield, Harry Himmelberg

2018 was worse.

2017 we were leading 1 game out from the grand final until Shiel was taken high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back