Player Watch Most overrated players (current & retired) part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure it's tackles not tacos?

Yep.

Hawkins' workrate (both in attack and defensively) and fitness is not an issue, and he's as good as he's ever been right now. Those that disagree seem to be stuck in 2010.

As we speak, he's...

- #8 in the league in goals per game (on pace for 45+ goals for the 7th straight season)
- #4 in the league in goal assists per game (career high average)
- #7 in the league for score involvements per game
- #11 in the league in marks per game (career high average, indicating the workrate and mobility is there)
- #3 in the league in contested marks per game
- #3 in the league in marks inside 50
- #10 in the league in tackles inside 50 per game (#1 at Geelong)
- Also averaging a career-high 14.50 disposals per game (also indicating the workrate and mobility is there)

No, he's not winning the Grand Final Sprint anytime soon, but which 30-year-old, 6'6", 100kg footballers are?

Last edited:
T
Meanwhile, Hawkins is #1 at Geelong and #8 in the league for tackles inside 50 this year (while also being on track for 50 goals and a career high in marks)
Tackles alone doesn't show the entire forward pressure picture. For all we know all these tackles are from forward fifty stoppages. I am surprised by that stat however it's a bit misleading

Current:

Max Gawn - he’s good. Just not as good as the media makes out. Which qualifies him as “overrated” imo.

Joe Daniher - need I say more?

—————————————————————-

Tom Hawkins - stats pretty similar to tex, and tex is the spudliest player in the comp apparently so I guess they are both overrated. /s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell is the afl most overrated player .

Oppo coaches do not focus on stopping him getting the ball because of his ball use .
I never use to believe this. I thought “ how can someone have 40 and not be effective or damaging?”.

Then I watched him closely , and I’m with you. He’s always getting the handball off a mark, can’t kick it much further than 40m, doesn’t really take the game on much, loves the 1 2 that doesn’t do anything.

His 40 aren’t useless, but probably only worth about 20 decent ones .

From my side - over a career, Ben Reid.

Absolute battler for his first 3.5 years before becoming a premiership player at 21 (automatic elevation of reputation). He was a rightful All-Australian in 2011 when he became one of the best defenders in the league but he’s lived off that 18 months of glory ever since. 2012 was a pretty good season at best but then came a spiral of injuries and inconsistent form that never allowed him to recapture his form. Played some good footy up forward at times and played a really good 2016 at centre half-back but eh, he’s only played 142 games, at least half of which have been poor to average.

If you suss the Pies board, there’s still heaps of supporters with him locked into the weekly 22 when fit for whatever reasons they don’t care to elaborate on, it just seems being a 2011 All-Australian and a premiership player has carried him for years.

The only thing he’d have in common with Viney is a good looking rig. Viney has genuine power and acceleration, Graham struggles to get 15 disposals a game. Tim Smith at Melbourne is ranked number one for average tackles per game, guess that makes him a gun too.
Not really.

Jack Riewoldt overrated? Spare me. Went from gun FF to gun CHF seamlessly and is imo Richmond’s most important player.
very true.
Easily most important player. He’s also the best “footballer” at Richmond by a margin. His skills are easily overlooked and on either side of the body.
I agree he won’t be AA but really who gives a * about that.

Dane swann. Never saw the attraction. The bloke had the worst kick in the afl. Yes he got alot of the ball but his kicking was attrocious.

Agree with others about hurley. Had high hopes of him becoming a solid backman and occasional forward. Just didnt eventuate. Possibly the asada saga was to big an interuption.

I never use to believe this. I thought “ how can someone have 40 and not be effective or damaging?”.

Then I watched him closely , and I’m with you. He’s always getting the handball off a mark, can’t kick it much further than 40m, doesn’t really take the game on much, loves the 1 2 that doesn’t do anything.

His 40 aren’t useless, but probably only worth about 20 decent ones .
Matt Boyd for us was similar. Got 40 with ease but oppo coaches never tagged him. We had a period with west, cross and Boyd. Greatm players but none could kick a football.

Matt boyd redeemed himself skill wise late in his career and became a premiership hbf.

I’ll say Heppell. I swear people just look at the stats sheet and see his 30+ touches and assume he’s a gun. Very little hurt factor if you ask me and I’m not sure I can recall a slower, more uninspiring captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back