Opinion Need a new goal kicking coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly- if you're kicking from close range, you should be picking an object (or person) in the crowd and aiming for that. Forces you to kick through it.

I guess the challenge is remembering to do this under the pressure of match-day conditions.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/make-accuracy-your-goal/story-fncw5ppl-1226382962095
Collingwood's Travis Cloke practises his goal kicking while listening to recorded crowd noises on his iPod. A novel approach that appears to have worked.
In 2010 his accuracy was 48 per cent. Last year, employing this method, he kicked 69 goals at a career-high 58 per cent. So far this season he has kicked 19 goals at 65 per cent.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/make-accuracy-your-goal/story-fncw5ppl-1226382962095

Knew this was happening before the 3rd of this month, but just wanted some evidence to back-it-up.

Good idea for a few of the boys or garbage?

Hurley has been very disappointing. He has an amazing set of hands and an unlimited amount of skill but he fails to deliver when the pressure is on. We need Gumbleton to come back in and show them how its done!

Out of curiosity does Matthew Lloyd have any affiliation with Essendon anymore?

Lloyd doesn't have any official affiliation with Essendon, no. His only coaching roles at the moment (AFAIK) is the AIS academy role he has.

Wouldn't surprise me if he keeps in some contact with Hird and co though...get him down to Windy Hill ASAP.

Sheeds has just given Lloyd a whack in the media for not being a risk taker and taking a league coaching role.

Interesting to see if anything comes of that. Insofar as Lloyd being queried on one of those show's he's on. See what his response is.

If it were as easy as routine or picking something behind the goals and kicking to that then surely everyone would be doing it and goal kicking would not be an issue across the league.

I'd say it comes down to pressure and how players handle it.

Anyone recall Crameri kicking a monster goal against Adelaide last year? It was about 53 metres out, right on the intersection of the fifty arc and boundary line on the left half forward flank. When he actually kicks through the ball, rather than trying to guide it/stab at it, he is a beautiful kick of the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back