RearNaked

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
TEAM MIR!!!!!!!!!
our current one is s**t almost all our loses this year we would of won if we didnt have s**t goal kicking coach

Perhaps if we would take shots from less precarious positions then we might convert a few more opportunities. Don't underestimate Sydney's ability to force us wide in the first three quarters, they were relentlessly sensational.

tonight isnt the only night our set shots have been s**t house we are one of the worse teams from a set shot all year

Perhaps if we would take shots from less precarious positions then we might convert a few more opportunities. Don't underestimate Sydney's ability to force us wide in the first three quarters, they were relentlessly sensational.

Do you watch all of our games? We kick s**t in almost every single game bar west coast I believe. Tonight was a little worse than usual but overall on a full season perspective our kicking at goal was been woeful.

There isn't a football side in the country, at any level of football, that would kick as poorly as we did tonight. Pathetic.

I wouldn't directly blame the goal kicking coach, we had tons of difficult shots.

What really steamed me was Hurley kicking to Heppell early on, Hurley on the correct side for a right footer kicks it to a lefty.

This. I'd almost rather Hurley kick a behind from where he was than Heppell kick a goal. It's a completely unnecessary possession & one that happens far to often.

I haven't missed a Bombers game all year, admittedly I slept through the first half last week, when I woke I saw large amount of behinds. I thought it was fairly evident tonight in the final quarter, when we were taking shots from in and around the corridor we manage to convert. I think we've done that reasonably well all year.

We are having more inside 50s than ever before, we are having more shots, we are going to have more misses. I don't know if I want our side practising goalkicking anymore at training; it appears to result in torn quadriceps to gun players...

we won almost every ******* stat we never should have been 40+ points down and the one quarter that we kick straight we almost get the win matty egan * off you were a defender should not be teaching our forwards how to play and how to kick

I just love that inbetween last week and today, we did goalkicking training, and lost a key midfielder to injury because of it

(by love i mean hate)
and he injures our players BOO egan BOO

Fact is that we have the second worst goal kicking conversion in the AFL - Has cost us the last 2 games and could have cost us another one or two games earlier in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Hurley is a forward more than a defender. I just think he's doing a few things wrong at the moment which are fixable and the true forward will once again be acknowledged. I have faith that it will turn around.

1. Missing goals. The last few games he could've easily got 1-3 goals per game if he'd converted and not stabbed at the ball.
2. Being too unselfish. Take some responsibility and realise that if you're 40 metres out with a set shot, finding an opponent 20 metres out is not necessarily a better option because it requires an additional disposal that could be turned over. Take the shot!
3. Taking the ball out in front rather than on his chest (he indicated he was aware he was doing this and is working on it)
4. Tending to kick the ball wide to a leading opponent rather than looking for an option in the corridor. The team needs more straight-forward shots on goal and we play better when we do this, rather than kick to a deep-wide option in the pocket.
5. He is ferocious on his attack at the ball, but he is NOT currently ferocious when the opposition gathers it. Needs to switch modes more quickly and show desperation to harrass, block, smother etc more consistently.
6. Knowing when to wrestle. He is good when he wrestles and the ball is going over the top and he works to the back of his opponent. He is not as good wrestling when the ball is out in front. In these instances he needs to try not to engage the wrestle so vehemently and keep arms-reach of his opponent so he can jump at the ball and clunk the mark.

We don't need a goal kicking coach as much as we need to practice goal kicking. This is where the weapon's methods can be crammed up his arse (it is not like Geelong was particularly good at converting either). Sooner or later a side will focus on conversion and the trends will change. We might as well focus on it now.

What we know about guys like Lloyd, Wilkinson and Beckham (and all the other great converters) is that they were obsessive compulsive about practice. The modern AFL player is anything but obsessive about goal kicking practice.

Take Hurley as case in point. When he started playing he was basically as good a shot at goal as Lloyd was. Now that he is no longer the carefree lad he is crushed by expectation and pressure and is a disaster in front of goal. He needs the comfort in his goal kicking routine and general approach to be able to blok everything out. The only way to correct the problem is to adopt an obsessive aproach to practice.

I don't think it's simply goal kicking, although the scores indicate that. IMO we're kicking badly predominantly because our I50s are rushed, rubbish entries, leaving our forwards with very diffcult set shots, or someone eeking out a rushed shot from general play.

We're playing on too quickly and not hitting targets in general all over the gorund, and as we go inside 50.

Slow down a touch, lower our eyes and hit up a good lead.

It's not the physical skill of kicking that needs practice. It's the mental skill of being able to pick a target behind the goals, block everything out and kick it at the target. The players are shooting at the blank space between the goals and hence stabbing at it. They should be kicking at a target past the centre of the goals. Think about how easy it if you kick to a teammate in the field across 30 to 40 metres. Chances are you'll either hit them or go two or three metres each side. So why is it any different when kicking at goals? That's what needs practice and it doesn't require 50m shots.

It's not the physical skill of kicking that needs practice. It's the mental skill of being able to pick a target behind the goals, block everything out and kick it at the target. The players are shooting at the blank space between the goals and hence stabbing at it. They should be kicking at a target past the centre of the goals. Think about how easy it if you kick to a teammate in the field across 30 to 40 metres. Chances are you'll either hit them or go two or three metres each side. So why is it any different when kicking at goals? That's what needs practice and it doesn't require 50m shots.

This.
I had a team-mate (off the Hawthorn list in the late 80's early 90s) who would nearly knock me over from 30 metres every time we had a kick, but put him in front of goal 25 m out directly in front, and he would stab at the ball.

Seriously.. if players need goal kicking coaches by the time they reach AFL level, there is a problem.

It's mental - not physical.

yeah it doesnt help our accuracy kicking them from 50m out or from the boundary, it helps when we lower our eyes and kick it to players in better positions.

Jobe missed one on Saturday night in 2nd quarter when he kicked it to Ryder on the boundary instead of looking to the corridor where Hocking would have ran into an easy goal from 30m directly in front.

Do we even HAVE a goal kicking coach? We have a forward coach, but I assume his main role is to teach structures, how to lead, how to block, how to make space, etc.

I think its more that players don't practice kicking as much as they used to. Conditioning staff don't like players taking lots of shots at training due to chance of injury. Then when they are allowed to take shots, they will practice trick shots from the boundary. Whatever happened to getting the basics right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back