Teams New York Giants - The G-Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants GM Dave Gettleman insisted he's tried to trade back in previous drafts.
"I've tried! I've tried to trade back," Gettleman responded when asked about the "urban myth" — his words — that he won't trade back. "But it's got to be value. I'm not getting fleeced." He can say all he wants, but the fact he's never sought value and completed a deal in eight years suggests otherwise. He also said the team's "biggest direction" in finding the type of players they're looking for is with linebackers, in particular those with "versatility" and "two-way go." The team could land just that with the No. 11 overall pick this year.
SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter
Apr 22, 2021, 12:46 PM ET

Great trade from Gettlemen today
Edge rusher in r2 please

Indeed. You’d think there should be more talent available next year, so good business all round.

A guy like Ronnie Perkins might be around the mark.

No o-line? Must have a lot of confidence in the guys drafted last season. I think you did smart trades for future though if Dimes flops this coming season you have ammo to go get a top qb next year.

No o-line? Must have a lot of confidence in the guys drafted last season. I think you did smart trades for future though if Dimes flops this coming season you have ammo to go get a top qb next year.

Yep, probably the one query from the draft, that otherwise was pretty impressive. From the little I know about salary cap, there can be issues down the line drafting two players of the same position (after Thomas last year), so maybe that came into it. Maybe they're got their eye on a potential free agent. Maybe they saw enough development in Thomas and co towards the last half of the year to not think it was necessary. Maybe they just didn't rate any of the options later on - it does seem to be a position where you don't get value on day 3 of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

N.Y. Giants Had Violent Culture off the Field, Suit Claims
By Chris Dolmetsch
May 21, 2021

The New York Giants fostered a workplace rife with intimidation and physical violence, according to a lawsuit filed by the team’s former video director, who claims he was fired for complaining about an assault on another worker.

David Maltese said in his complaint filed Thursday in New Jersey state court that the assault he reported “was just a recent example of a pervasive and continuing pattern and culture of violence in the workplace by Giants’ management toward subordinates.”

Maltese, who worked for the National Football League team for 30 years, said in December 2004 he was pushed into a table by an assistant coach in front of players, other coaches and team owner Christopher Mara.

The suit claims Maltese was wrongfully fired in March after complaining on behalf of another employee he alleges was physically attacked by a supervisor six months earlier. According to the suit, Maltese’s job was threatened after he reported the assault, and he was warned against pushing the matter further.

Giants General Counsel William J. Heller told Maltese he would “strangle you until you can no longer breathe” if he told anyone else about his discussions with team officials about the incidents, the suit claims.

“We are aware of the civil filing by a former employee and are prepared to aggressively defend the organization and its employees against the meritless claims,” the Giants said in a statement. “Beyond that, we do not intend to make further comment on this matter.”

As video director, Maltese managed employees who produced film of players during games and practice for use by coaches and other personnel. His suit is seeking lost wages and benefits, compensation for pain and suffering and reputational harm and punitive damages.

The case is David Maltese v New York Football Giants Inc., 3317-21, Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County

Remove this Banner Ad

Back