Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Green and Marsh going to play in the final? Will Richardson or Morris be fit? Gunna be an interesting couple of days.
IPL starts during the final they're on over a million each, no chance Marsh or Green play. Wade will play for Tas because he's only there as a reserve keeper.

The current team got us there and is good enough

IPL starts during the final they're on over a million each, no chance Marsh or Green play. Wade will play for Tas because he's only there as a reserve keeper.

The current team got us there and is good enough

Looking at the sides that played this round we shouldn’t have even had to win that game tbh. No one else should be getting near us.

Outside of WA the standard of the shield sides looks dire tbh. No wonder we can’t find any new batters for the test team. It’s almost county level now.

We have a had great era of Women's Cricket in Australia.

But out of the big 3 guns who have dominated (Lanning, Healy and Perry).

Ellyse is the GOAT for mine of the era. She has done it all in all 3 formats with Bat & Ball.

Healy & Lanning are/were great players and deserve there HOF status in Australian Cricket.

But Perry for mine has them both covered.

Made her debut at 16 and is still going strong 17 years later.

On top of playing for the Matildas as well at some stage.
Meg Lanning is my all-time favourite cricketer, I even have a cat named after her haha.

But Ellyse Perry is the GOAT in women's world cricket. She bats, she bowls, she's a gun in the field, she stands up to win games for Australia, she's still evolving and getting better even at the age of 32, and has dominated in all 3 formats as you have said. Best Ever.

(And she was 16 when she debuted for the Matildas, same year she debuted for Australia in cricket. From memory she scored a goal in her first game. She then had to make a decision which sport to pursue as it was a 'bit tricky' to play at the absolute highest level in two different sports. What a phenomenon she is.)

Meg Lanning is my all-time favourite cricketer, I even have a cat named after her haha.

But Ellyse Perry is the GOAT in women's world cricket. She bats, she bowls, she's a gun in the field, she stands up to win games for Australia, she's still evolving and getting better even at the age of 32, and has dominated in all 3 formats as you have said. Best Ever.

(And she was 16 when she debuted for the Matildas, same year she debuted for Australia in cricket. From memory she scored a goal in her first game. She then had to make a decision which sport to pursue as it was a 'bit tricky' to play at the absolute highest level in two different sports. What a phenomenon she is.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on Ollie Davies Paracleet
Haven't seen a single frame of him. I wouldn't be getting excited without seeing him deliver outside of a single run of form (he's made 300 runs in the last 3 weeks, but it was against Queensland and SA; last and second last).

Despite what Punter says, and he should know better, t20 conversions are the exception not the rule. Have a look at the ICC batting rankings and tell me how many established their reputations as a t20 hitter before starting (or returning to one after being dropped early e.g Fraser-McGurk) a first class career.

More excited by Vidler's teammate Konstas composed performance (reportedly) in the first dig. I note he didn't bat in the second innings did he get subbed out due to a head knock or something?

Haven't seen a single frame of him. I wouldn't be getting excited without seeing him deliver outside of a single run of form (he's made 300 runs in the last 3 weeks, but it was against Queensland and SA; last and second last).

Despite what Punter says, and he should know better, t20 conversions are the exception not the rule. Have a look at the ICC batting rankings and tell me how many established their reputations as a t20 hitter before starting (or returning to one after being dropped early e.g Fraser-McGurk) a first class career.

More excited by Vidler's teammate Konstas composed performance (reportedly) in the first dig. I note he didn't bat in the second innings did he get subbed out due to a head knock or something?
As someone who knows their cricket, would watch some highlights and let me know what you think of his technique given his incredible average this year

As someone who knows their cricket, would watch some highlights and let me know what you think of his technique given his incredible average this year

Doesn't move his feet, stays leg side of the ball (bit Travis Head in that sense). For a hundred highlights package it has a lot more top edges from pulls and edges through third slip / fine gully from back foot shots that I am entirely comfortable with. Obviously has a good eye.

Still its highlights. We need to watch him live to see the balls he's not playing at. To my mind the only way you succeed as an ultra attacking batter at test level is to force the bowler to bowl into zones that aren't 'bad bowling' zones, but you can still score off. You're not going to prosper from either hitting bad bowling (which you get much less of at top level) or taking undue risks.

So to take Warner, he could score quickly because bowl a good ball on off stump he would block it, bowl a good length ball outside off he would let it go, bowl a length ball outside off that was 6 inches too short or too full he would hit it for four. Whereas most traditional top batters would be waiting for something a full 3 feet shorter or fuller. Extra runs, not that much more risk.

Last edited:

Doesn't move his feet, stays leg side of the ball (bit Travis Head in that sense). For a hundred highlights package it has a lot more top edges from pulls and and edges through third slip / fine gully from back foot shots that I am entirely comfortable with. Obviously has a good eye.

Still its highlights. We need to watch him live to see the balls he's not playing at. To my mind the only way you succeed as an ultra attacking batter at test level is to force the bowler to bowl into zones that aren't 'bad bowling' zones, but you can still score off. You're not going to prosper from either hitting bad bowling (which you get much less of at top level) or taking undue risks.

So to take Warner, he could score quickly because bowl a good ball on off stump he would block it, bowl a good length ball outside off he would let it go, bowl a length ball outside off that was 6 inches too short or too full he would hit it for four. Whereas most traditional top batters would be waiting for something a full 3 feet shorter or fuller. Extra runs, not that much more risk.
Yeah, we dont have a lot of prospects and this is really as promising as it is. It's basically the most village looking technique to average 50+ at first class level I've seen. Like Smith he must have an incredible eye and is basically Travis Head 2.0. Hopefully he can prove this year was no fluke and move up the order for NSW a bit next year and still average over 50. He's never batting higher than 5 at test level

Yeah, we dont have a lot of prospects and this is really as promising as it is. It's basically the most village looking technique to average 50+ at first class level I've seen. Like Smith he must have an incredible eye and is basically Travis Head 2.0. Hopefully he can prove this year was no fluke and move up the order for NSW a bit next year and still average over 50. He's never batting higher than 5 at test level
So, Snaff and Para, you both seem to know the game a little more than the average Joe, how do we solve the problem that is beckoning the Aussie test team to fall over the cliff.Fall over the cliff both in batting and bowling.
On both sides of the game, afe has caught or is catching up with our team.
How do we solve the problem.
In regards to bowling, we showed no foresight when taking Neser and Boland to NZ. Both are much closer to retirement than starting. A lack of thought from the selectors.They also used Morris as a water boy earlier inthe season when he should have been playing for his state.I believe lack of his bowling in games has caused his injury problems.
Batting wise, too many need to be replaced in the very near future. Maybe the message should have gone out to them earlier.
I applaud Smith for putting his hand up to open, but that is a far more difficult position to bat than number four when the shine , most times has gone from the ball.
Smith , Khawaja, Marnus, and Head all in their 30s. Maybe next year two, maybe three will walk away from the game.How do we replace them.
With CA showing no sign of taking the Sheffield shield seriously, where do we get players that can play four or five day cricket.
From a position where the SS was considered only behind test cricket a few years back, pre circus cricket,how can CA be convinced they need to take the SS more seriously.

So, Snaff and Para, you both seem to know the game a little more than the average Joe, how do we solve the problem that is beckoning the Aussie test team to fall over the cliff.Fall over the cliff both in batting and bowling.
On both sides of the game, afe has caught or is catching up with our team.
How do we solve the problem.
In regards to bowling, we showed no foresight when taking Neser and Boland to NZ. Both are much closer to retirement than starting. A lack of thought from the selectors.They also used Morris as a water boy earlier inthe season when he should have been playing for his state.I believe lack of his bowling in games has caused his injury problems.
Batting wise, too many need to be replaced in the very near future. Maybe the message should have gone out to them earlier.
I applaud Smith for putting his hand up to open, but that is a far more difficult position to bat than number four when the shine , most times has gone from the ball.
Smith , Khawaja, Marnus, and Head all in their 30s. Maybe next year two, maybe three will walk away from the game.How do we replace them.
With CA showing no sign of taking the Sheffield shield seriously, where do we get players that can play four or five day cricket.
From a position where the SS was considered only behind test cricket a few years back, pre circus cricket,how can CA be convinced they need to take the SS more seriously.
My opinion is everyone is ****ed against India anyway and our test team will always be 2nd or 3rd strongest basically no matter what we do.

I think the batting talent over 25 is dire but 25 and under has promise in McSweeney, Davies and with time a couple out of McSweeney, Goodwin, Wyllie and Kellaway show promise. We have remarkable spin promise in Roccichelli, Murphy and Sangha and the fast bowling will sort itself. Worth noting, Shield pitches are A LOT harder to bat on these days and a top order 40 average is probably similar to 50 back in the 90s / early 2000s.

Test squad needs to bite the bullet on someone though and give them a shot before it completely bottoms out in the top of the order and all three of the top 3 retire or are dropped almost simultaneously.

My opinion is everyone is ****ed against India anyway and our test team will always be 2nd or 3rd strongest basically no matter what we do.

I think the batting talent over 25 is dire but 25 and under has promise in McSweeney, Davies and with time a couple out of McSweeney, Goodwin, Wyllie and Kellaway show promise. We have remarkable spin promise in Roccichelli, Murphy and Sangha and the fast bowling will sort itself. Worth noting, Shield pitches are A LOT harder to bat on these days and a top order 40 average is probably similar to 50 back in the 90s / early 2000s.

Test squad needs to bite the bullet on someone though and give them a shot before it completely bottoms out in the top of the order and all three of the top 3 retire or are dropped almost simultaneously.
Thanks for that. But will we have to select the under 25 on circus cricket, or can CA be convinced that they need to revamp the SS competition.
I agree re Roccichelli. He looks a very good prospect.Murphy, I think has shown he has the want to be successful.

I wouldn't be panicking yet. We were all tearing our hair out between 2008 and 2012 or so bemoaning a lack of talent to replace the golden generation and we ended up with 25000+ test runs from guys who did start first class cricket in that period still in team or recently out of it. I mean I'm not saying we will get test stars out of the crop of 19 to 23 year olds currently or recently in Shield sides but we're not going to know until after the fact.

My impression is there are actually a lot of young players dominating grade cricket around Australia but they're understandably struggling with the foreign conditions when they come up to Shield games. The wickets now... I mean it's like when you read those old biographies of 70s or 80's players talking about playing country cricket for a year and every week the wicket was emerald green and opposition bowling attack always seemed to be Joel Garner, Imran Kahn and Vincent van der Bijl.

Wayne Clarke on SportFM was extremely vocal about this over the summer. Reckons the selectors are extremely culpable for Morris' injuries.

And he knows his stuff!

I wouldn't be panicking yet. We were all tearing our hair out between 2008 and 2012 or so bemoaning a lack of talent to replace the golden generation and we ended up with 25000+ test runs from guys who did start first class cricket in that period still in team or recently out of it. I mean I'm not saying we will get test stars out of the crop of 19 to 23 year olds currently or recently in Shield sides but we're not going to know until after the fact.

My impression is there are actually a lot of young players dominating grade cricket around Australia but they're understandably struggling with the foreign conditions when they come up to Shield games. The wickets now... I mean it's like when you read those old biographies of 70s or 80's players talking about playing country cricket for a year and every week the wicket was emerald green and opposition bowling attack always seemed to be Joel Garner, Imran Kahn and Vincent van der Bijl.
Yeah, the decks are going too far the other way with the leg breaks seemers are getting at 135 clicks - McSweeney's innings was special that last round.

Thanks for that. But will we have to select the under 25 on circus cricket, or can CA be convinced that they need to revamp the SS competition.
I agree re Roccichelli. He looks a very good prospect.Murphy, I think has shown he has the want to be successful.
We haven't had this depth of spin talent for God knows how long. Some good all rounder off spin batting options for one dayers like Manenti. Test wise Kuhnemann is still only 27 and we have Murphy, Rocchiccioli and lastly keep your eyes on Warren at Victoria. He might end up jumping the que in front of all of them. (I'm declaring Swepson not up to it)

Another great hot take from the delusional English.

Unless Jimmy Anderson has a bowling average of 10 it isn't even on the same planet & just because has played nearly 200 tests and playing on selfishly to break SK Warne 708 test wickets.

Not sure he’s ever had a good series outside England in a career that’s gone 20 years.

Wouldn’t get a game in our current team except in England even at his very very best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back