MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, gotta be ... off the ball, likely broken teeth and perhaps his jaw ... great result for us.
4 displaced teeth and broken Jaw according to Ross Lyon.

Have to spare a thought for Mum and Dad Brayshaw. Watched Angus go through his issues, then Andrew in his first season gets assaulted on the field. It'd be hard work trying to be a parent

Have to spare a thought for Mum and Dad Brayshaw. Watched Angus go through his issues, then Andrew in his first season gets assaulted on the field. It'd be hard work trying to be a parent

By another brother's teammate too

AFLMembers_2018Final.png

Gold Coast will die if the AFL doesn't come up with some kind of plan soon. Just a giant sinkhole of money at the moment, they should actually put some strategy behind it.

If it was up to me I would go and find a bunch of schools around the ground and give about 10-15k kids free memberships for the next 5-8 years. Learn from the cigarette companies in the 60's target the kids and try to get them hooked.

Gold Coast will die if the AFL doesn't come up with some kind of plan soon. Just a giant sinkhole of money at the moment, they should actually put some strategy behind it.

If it was up to me I would go and find a bunch of schools around the ground and give about 10-15k kids free memberships for the next 5-8 years. Learn from the cigarette companies in the 60's target the kids and try to get them hooked.
I feel like that would be more like when parents catch their children smoking and force em to finish the whole deck. The experience would be so bad they would never want to experiment with footy again.

Poor kid ... I knocked out one of my front teeth years ago, it’s not ideal
Knocked out two, took ten years to fix the damage properly

Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, Geelong and North are the ones I hate. Starting to warm a little to North now that the hoodoo is broken though.

I base my hatred on players, coaches and the clubs in general - but not supporters. Every team has flog supporters.

The rest are all OK.

Except i have found that since 09 Geelong supporters treat us like we are beneath them, as if they think were peasants
There arrogance is uncanny.

Obviously 186 at Skilled didnt help, just perpetuated there thoughts of us that were witches hats/laughing stock/basket case on and off the field.

It really irked me.

Last edited:
Interesting to see what left field, behind the scenes agenda driven punishment Gaff cops. If it’s anything consistent with the AFL’s and society’s message on unprovoked violence and consistent with recent trends in suspensions for head punches, it’ll be 4-6, maybe 7 weeks.

Interesting to see what left field, behind the scenes agenda driven punishment Gaff cops. If it’s anything consistent with the AFL’s and society’s message on unprovoked violence and consistent with recent trends in suspensions for head punches, it’ll be 4-6, maybe 7 weeks.

At a minimum it is worth the same as Bugg. With the damage to Brayshaw it is probably worth more but with Gaff being a cleanskin for his prior 170 odd games I think he'll be "discounted" back to about the 6 games, same as Bugg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surgery gone well for Brayshaw, jaw back in place, teeth back in held by a splint, back home drinking out of a straw for 4 weeks.
* that. Poor bastard, been through that s**t

When you see tickytouchwood bans that cost players brownlow chances people scream for dumping the ineligibility.

When i see what Gaff (or Bugg) has done wether it be intentional or not, i'm up for keeping it (although i always have). I don't care if you're the best.

That said, i hardly ever give two *s about the brownlow anyway

When you see tickytouchwood bans that cost players brownlow chances people scream for dumping the ineligibility.

When i see what Gaff (or Bugg) has done wether it be intentional or not, i'm up for keeping it (although i always have). I don't care if you're the best.

That said, i hardly ever give two ****s about the brownlow anyway

Oh absolutely. Brownlow is not the be all and end all e.g. Shane Woewodin

I sit on both sides of this topic. Gaff absolutely deserves the maximum punishment. He threw a punch, regardless of his intent and has left Brayshaw with horrific injuries.

BUT this incident should go a long way to stamping out all the childish niggling that continues to creep into the game. I'm of the firm belief he intended to hit him in the chest. Brayshaw drops just as Gaff begins to swing, and if you look at the point contact his made, Gaff's fist is significantly below where Brayshaw's head would normally be were he standing upright.

This incident serves as a way to show the consequences of what all of these mini punches can lead to.

Further to that, people who are outraged by the "this is totally out of character" narrative. As has been mentioned countless times, the guy has played 175+ games and never even received a fine. By definition, this incident is out of character. I look at the way Gaff carried himself for the rest of that game compared to Bugg last year. Gaff was absolutely distraught after that game and in his post game interview you could've been excused for thinking his parents had both just been killed. Bugg carried on for the rest of the game with a false sense of bravado and his apology in the rooms after seemed far from genuine. I wouldn't be painting the two with the same brush, despite the severity of both incidents.

I sit on both sides of this topic. Gaff absolutely deserves the maximum punishment. He threw a punch, regardless of his intent and has left Brayshaw with horrific injuries.

BUT this incident should go a long way to stamping out all the childish niggling that continues to creep into the game. I'm of the firm belief he intended to hit him in the chest. Brayshaw drops just as Gaff begins to swing, and if you look at the point contact his made, Gaff's fist is significantly below where Brayshaw's head would normally be were he standing upright.

This incident serves as a way to show the consequences of what all of these mini punches can lead to.

Further to that, people who are outraged by the "this is totally out of character" narrative. As has been mentioned countless times, the guy has played 175+ games and never even received a fine. By definition, this incident is out of character. I look at the way Gaff carried himself for the rest of that game compared to Bugg last year. Gaff was absolutely distraught after that game and in his post game interview you could've been excused for thinking his parents had both just been killed. Bugg carried on for the rest of the game with a false sense of bravado and his apology in the rooms after seemed far from genuine. I wouldn't be painting the two with the same brush, despite the severity of both incidents.
That’s pretty harsh on Bugg. You make it sound like he’s some psycho who revelled in what he did. He played like s**t for the rest of the night, I think the incident obviously effected him. Then in the post match interview I got the sense he was embarrassed about it more than anything, and couldn’t really say much on the matter. Sometimes “yeah I ****ed up and I’m really sorry” are the only things you can say.

Disagree nick I thought Bugg was visibly affected by it and played accordingly.

Disagree about Bugg. I thought he sounded utterly shocked.

This incident serves as a way to show the consequences of what all of these mini punches can lead to..
Could not agree more. Came here to say this.

Ross Lyon bleating about his 18 year old star being out for the rest of the year with a shattered jaw after sending said 18 year old star out there to scrag someone all day in a game where they were always going to lose by 10 goals and meant pretty much nothing to them.

If there were suspensions, or at least free kicks handed out for all this BS scragging, jumper punches, gut punches, blocked runs off the ball, arms across chests/throats etc, perhaps there'd be less of these incidents (of which there really aren't heaps by the way but still).

Sure, you can't go punching people, but part of me thinks if someone is getting away with grabbing your jumper, punching you in the guts all day then even the 'nicest' blokes have their limit. This is the end result. An 18 year old star with a shattered jaw who has to eat food through a straw for a while. Inflicted by a bloke who hadn't been even cited for 175-odd games..

Its gotta be 6 weeks at least no matter what going off the Bugg suspension. And graphic footage of this one may even get him 7.

Good to see the Freo players go after him in the last quarter, i would have also, suspension be damned. Hayden Ballantyne trying to hand out his "Tom Jonas" was a fail but he gets maximum points off me for the effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back