Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Optus is much better as a stadium for sure, from a viewing and service point of view that can't be argued, but what i dont like is all the flashing lights etc. Trying to turn our game into something like the NBA - americanised bells and whistles. Games at Optus don't actually feel like you're at a footy game anymore, it's morphed to something different. There's no raw essence of the game, we're so focused on all the periphery stuff. I find all the lights and sirens cringeworthy, but appreciate the newer generation like that sort of stuff. Why we need to hear music after a goal? I'd much rather hear the roar of crowd in all it's glory. we dont need to dull that out with music, commentary and lighting shows.

Yep exactly

The raw emotion of the crowd was felt at subi. Seemed far wilder than optus. I get caught day dreaming at optus as I'm bored

Is that because we have sucked for the majority of our time there?

Were you bored in 2022?
I think also by virtue of Optus being bigger, it will always feel more empty unless it's full, but even when it has been full, the crowd is far more reactive. There's no cauldron atmosphere that comes with people being jammed in on top of each other, and i reiterate my point that all the flashing lights, music etc, dilutes any impact that the crowd may have in creating an intimidating atmosphere. Even after the initial roar of the crowd, the dull but excited murmuring of the crowd's anticipation adds to the atmosphere, but now we drown that out with trying to pretend where watching basketball.

The noises of disapproval, from booing through to outright abuse of umpires/opposition players, are slowly disappearing from football crowds as less and less people engage in it. It's probably a god thing, especially for kids at games. But it isn't unique to optus, crowds everywhere are better behaved and less raucous. If games were still being played at Subi they'd be quieter today than games that were played there 20 years ago

The noises of disapproval, from booing through to outright abuse of umpires/opposition players, are slowly disappearing from football crowds as less and less people engage in it. It's probably a god thing, especially for kids at games. But it isn't unique to optus, crowds everywhere are better behaved and less raucous. If games were still being played at Subi they'd be quieter today than games that were played there 20 years ago
Ive been to a lot of games all over the country, since the early 90's. I took my son to his first game at Optus in 2022 (Freo v Hawthorn) and was pretty horrified of the language around us. Throughout my younger years i distinctly remember less swearing and just plain crap talk - what i remember was more banter, with humour, much more witt. Still obnoxious, but with a hint of witty intelligence. The drunk yobbos back when i was younger wouldnt swear, but instead come up with quite witty derogatory comments to the opposition, which everyone laughed at, and the kids had no idea what was going on. And yes you're right crowds today would be quieter at Subi. It's apples and oranges to compare. People have changed. they want more comfort, light and sirens. I'd argue more people today attend footy games for the overall spectacle, not because they actually live and breathe for the game. And again that's by virtue of the stadium holding more people. You're diluting the actual faithful. Bigger isnt always better.

Ive been to a lot of games all over the country, since the early 90's. I took my son to his first game at Optus in 2022 (Freo v Hawthorn) and was pretty horrified of the language around us. Throughout my younger years i distinctly remember less swearing and just plain crap talk - what i remember was more banter, with humour, much more witt. Still obnoxious, but with a hint of witty intelligence. The drunk yobbos back when i was younger wouldnt swear, but instead come up with quite witty derogatory comments to the opposition, which everyone laughed at, and the kids had no idea what was going on. And yes you're right crowds today would be quieter at Subi. It's apples and oranges to compare. People have changed. they want more comfort, light and sirens. I'd argue more people today attend footy games for the overall spectacle, not because they actually live and breathe for the game. And again that's by virtue of the stadium holding more people. You're diluting the actual faithful. Bigger isnt always better.
Yes I don't mean swearing per se, which is more pervasive everywhere in life. It's as you say, there's less general passion, particularly negative tribal passion directed at the maggots or opposition players, that previously generated a proportion of the noise/atmosphere. You used to not be able to hear yourself for the boos when the opposition full forward was lining up a goal, at some games now you're lucky if you hear a sigh of resignation

Yes I don't mean swearing per se, which is more pervasive everywhere in life. It's as you say, there's less general passion, particularly negative tribal passion directed at the maggots or opposition players, that previously generated a proportion of the noise/atmosphere. You used to not be able to hear yourself for the boos when the opposition full forward was lining up a goal, at some games now you're lucky if you hear a sigh of resignation
Yeah, I recall booing Stuart Leowe when he was cutting is up for St Kilda, and Gary Ablett Jr when he was on top, Anthony Koutifides and many others. Then when we also booed Adam Goodes it was decided that this was racist - even though we booed all the opposition teams best players. From this point, it was almost as if booing the opposition's best players was outlawed.

Optus shits all over Subi. Subi was a s**t hole. Sitting in the 3 tier stand was great atmosphere wise but the actual seats sucked major testicles. The stadium was a run down piece of s**t.

From a WAFL perspective it just made Subi richer.
Hate absolutely hate that stadium.
The fact that it was in Subiaco, with the profits going to the smug WAFC and Subiaco FC. Stuff that. So hate getting to, nothing of note surrounding the stadium.

When you go travelling around the country/world experiencing the top arenas and stadiums then come back to Perth. It was pretty depressing.

Higher average crowds at Optus obviously helps, but since moving across, Fremantle haven’t had success other then the EF.
Have loss the last 4 games at Optus. Hardly inspiring

Yeah, I recall booing Stuart Leowe when he was cutting is up for St Kilda, and Gary Ablett Jr when he was on top, Anthony Koutifides and many others. Then when we also booed Adam Goodes it was decided that this was racist - even though we booed all the opposition teams best players. From this point, it was almost as if booing the opposition's best players was outlawed.
The difference was Goodes wasn't being booed because he was a great player.

The difference was Goodes wasn't being booed because he was a great player.
I guess you can speak for yourself there. I personally was just trying to put him off his game like every other opposition star player. No doubt there was probably a few ferals in the crowd as there always is - but this doesn't apply to all of us - or even the majority. Regardless, it seems we don't boo the opposition's best palyers anymore, to the same degree - we may not be the wharfees we once were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never understood booing champs, but I do get booing chumps.
For the evils for example, I didn't boo Judd until he eye gouged Pav, but Gaff is certainly worth the boo.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think also by virtue of Optus being bigger, it will always feel more empty unless it's full, but even when it has been full, the crowd is far more reactive. There's no cauldron atmosphere that comes with people being jammed in on top of each other, and i reiterate my point that all the flashing lights, music etc, dilutes any impact that the crowd may have in creating an intimidating atmosphere. Even after the initial roar of the crowd, the dull but excited murmuring of the crowd's anticipation adds to the atmosphere, but now we drown that out with trying to pretend where watching basketball.
Exactly, it never the same when a ground is only 2/3 full.

The EF v the Dogs the crowd was very loud, right from only after we finally got a couple of goals on the board.

Walters snapping the goal to put us within a couple the roar was ****ing massive.

I guess you can speak for yourself there. I personally was just trying to put him off his game like every other opposition star player. No doubt there was probably a few ferals in the crowd as there always is - but this doesn't apply to all of us - or even the majority. Regardless, it seems we don't boo the opposition's best palyers anymore, to the same degree - we may not be the wharfees we once were.
You clearly missed a few little things. Like, oh I dunno, the King Kong reference, for example.

Political correctness has destroyed people’s ability to express themselves

By the time they’ve over thunk( that’s a word ) who they might offend they just say * it and sit there quietly

Exactly, it never the same when a ground is only 2/3 full.

The EF v the Dogs the crowd was very loud, right from only after we finally got a couple of goals on the board.

Walters snapping the goal to put us within a couple the roar was ****ing massive.
Was pretty quiet about 20 minutes before half time when I was thinking of leaving in disgust

Bloody glad I stayed
Best atmosphere at a game since 2012/13

Can I plead a hearing for the case against pervasive swearing? Feck, like a much loved and dearly departed work colleague agreed, is one of the finest words in the English language. Used appropriately. Swearing generally has its zip because it is vulgar/inappropriate/shocking/aggressive. It's edgy, that's why comedians tend to swear a lot. That's its appropriate usage. But when debased by overuse - especially thrown about in general or where others can unnecessarily overhear - it displays disrespect to other people and to the conventions that enable strangers in society to peacefully co-exist. And I think we as a society need things to bring us together ATM, not to encourage things that easily alienate. So, can we please have a bit more civility, for feck's sake.

Can I plead a hearing for the case against pervasive swearing? Feck, like a much loved and dearly departed work colleague agreed, is one of the finest words in the English language. Used appropriately. Swearing generally has its zip because it is vulgar/inappropriate/shocking/aggressive. It's edgy, that's why comedians tend to swear a lot. That's its appropriate usage. But when debased by overuse - especially thrown about in general or where others can unnecessarily overhear - it displays disrespect to other people and to the conventions that enable strangers in society to peacefully co-exist. And I think we as a society need things to bring us together ATM, not to encourage things that easily alienate. So, can we please have a bit more civility, for feck's sake.

Feck off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back