List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But Caddy thought according to SJ that he was after him, which Stevie denied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why ? If that's the case, danger may have thought that w the trading out of player's the club did too get patty ? Which would be hard as gore is languishing in the crows sanfl side....was SJ part of the danger trade ? can't remember....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There's no question about that. But as Cook explained when a player says they want to be somewhere else the philosophy is to let them go. That was what happened with Caddy. The salary cap relief was clearly a factor in that decision though because we are still paying 100% of the cap.
Don't think it worried cads tbh? He'd just bought a house in geel or the surf coast as well

Don't think it worried cads tbh? He'd just bought a house in geel or the surf coast as well

Worried him? Not sure what you mean by that.

If you are eluding to the fact he admitted himself he had no interest in leaving until Richmond showed interest, that's right.

[QUOTE="bigfarter, post: 49275654, member: 84407]For the record, I thought Geelong made a mistake with the Caddy ordeal. I'd be fascinated to know whether they were actually trying to nudge him out or if it was a genuine error that occurred during the Deledio negotiations[/QUOTE]

I think it was out of an error that occurred during/out of the Deledio negotiations.

Last edited:
I think it was out of an error that occurred during/out of the Deledio negotiations.
It went:

1. Deledio nominates Geelong
2. Richmond says "we will take Caddy"
3. Geelong says "nah"
4. Caddy says "yeah"
5. Geelong can't afford Deledio and accedes to Caddy's wishes.

Why ? If that's the case, danger may have thought that w the trading out of player's the club did too get patty ? Which would be hard as gore is languishing in the crows sanfl side....was SJ part of the danger trade ? can't remember....

Hang about I think I was referencing the game when we played GWS not anything about the trade!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geelong don't like to keep players that don't want to stay, looks like it might work out anyway Parfitt looks a gem.

How many AFL games has Parfitt played?
Oh I'm sorry i look to the positives with players, keeping a player that doesn't want to be on your list is never a good idea was my main point but you ignored that part.

Wait, wait, wait - you'd prefer to watch footy and take some joy out of it, following as a promising young player develops, rather than constantly berating the club you "support" and attacking their every decision?? What are you, CRAZY? :D
I'd have been burnt at the stake as a witch in a bygone era with such radical thoughts. :eek:

Oh I'm sorry i look to the positives with players, keeping a player that doesn't want to be on your list is never a good idea was my main point but you ignored that part.

I have my doubts that Caddy didn't want to be on the list. It seems to me he was open to the move to Richmond. That doesn't mean he would have been dissatisfied with remaining with Geelong. This wasn't a Bryce Gibbs situation where he approached the club wanting out. By all accounts, it seemed he was happy at Geelong. He was willing to go to Richmond when he was approached as part of the Deledio deal, but it wouldn't seem he was kicking and screaming to go.

The fact that all the club received was pick 26, then, is a disgrace, especially given it desperately needs a first rounder.

I'm sure plenty of players would be open to moving clubs if offered more time in their preferred position and more money, but that doesn't mean the club is obligated to trade them. It doesn't mean the player won't be happy to stay there.

We're just glossing over what this was, though. The Cats needed cap space because they couldn't offload Motlop and had eaten up cap space signing the perpetually-injured Scott Selwood who we again won't see until the last few rounds of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have my doubts that Caddy didn't want to be on the list. It seems to me he was open to the move to Richmond. That doesn't mean he would have been dissatisfied with remaining with Geelong. This wasn't a Bryce Gibbs situation where he approached the club wanting out. By all accounts, it seemed he was happy at Geelong. He was willing to go to Richmond when he was approached as part of the Deledio deal, but it wouldn't seem he was kicking and screaming to go.

The fact that all the club received was pick 26, then, is a disgrace, especially given it desperately needs a first rounder.

I'm sure plenty of players would be open to moving clubs if offered more time in their preferred position and more money, but that doesn't mean the club is obligated to trade them. It doesn't mean the player won't be happy to stay there.

We're just glossing over what this was, though. The Cats needed cap space because they couldn't offload Motlop and had eaten up cap space signing the perpetually-injured Scott Selwood who we again won't see until the last few rounds of the season.

Also, Chris Scott lures elder players with a siren song... Andrew Mackie hears it and dances toward it but NO! When he's too close Chris Scott literally bites him, like a snake!

We have no desperate need for a first round pick. That is a misnomer.

We have no desperate need for a first round pick. That is a misnomer.

We do see a bit obsessed with first round picks around here. Actually our last trade period showed we are planning to invest in the draft more not less. We basically switched Caddy for Thuoy and changed our first pick this coming year (say pick 12-18) for pick 26 last year and pick 20ish this year. Overall we lost a player from an area where we've got depth, gained in an area of real weakness with Enright retired and turned one pick probably in the teens into 2 picks in the 20s giving us an extra chance to bring in a talented kid.

We do see a bit obsessed with first round picks around here. Actually our last trade period showed we are planning to invest in the draft more not less. We basically switched Caddy for Thuoy and changed our first pick this coming year (say pick 12-18) for pick 26 last year and pick 20ish this year. Overall we lost a player from an area where we've got depth, gained in an area of real weakness with Enright retired and turned one pick probably in the teens into 2 picks in the 20s giving us an extra chance to bring in a talented kid.

Geelong does not have depth in the positions Caddy played. Look at Geelong's side on the weekend. In the midfield, you have Danger, Selwood and Duncan, and then it's straight to the VFL players.

Because the seed was planted in Caddy's head.

He's looking at the prospect of more money, a longer contract, more time in the position he'd prefer to be playing, playing with a big Melbourne club that has the MCG as their home ground and one of his best mates has just been traded there (Prestia).

All those things for him, when he weighed it up, he would have mentally committed himself, probably called his mate and said he was on the way.

Once a seed like that has been planted, it's pretty hard to get rid of it.

The question would then be, who planted the seed? Was it the club sounding his management out with regards to being a part of a deal for Deledio?

I was never much of a Caddy fan, but in this instance, without obviously having direct inside knowledge from the club, if the above scenario is the way it played out then it's a big utensil-up on the club's behalf.

“I think we probably err on the side of thinking, ‘if people want to go, they can’. It’s not as though we let our best players go if they put their hand up — I don’t know if anyone has, to be honest — but there’s a philosophy around here that if you don’t like the place or you’re not engaged and you want to go somewhere else, you’re not going to get the best out of them.” - B.Cook, CEO

All reports said he was happy at Geelong, and he'd recently bought a house there. Then he became open to a move to Richmond and left. Was quite clear that Geelong nudged him out. The fact that they accepted such awful compensation confirms that they felt they needed to move him on, likely for salary cap relief. Gotta pay Scott Selwood so he can rehab all season, though, I guess.
Preety much. He became more open to the move after Geelong brought it up with him too.
People on here are insinuating that he wanted out and was shopping himself to Richmond or something.
I wasn't a big fan of Cadds but I'd take him over S.Selwood any day.

[QUOTE="bigfarter, post: 49275654, member: 84407For the record, I thought Geelong made a mistake with the Caddy ordeal. I'd be fascinated to know whether they were actually trying to nudge him out or if it was a genuine error that occurred during the Deledio negotiations

The club ****ed it up. There's no doubt and hopefully they'll learn for next time.
I can't see why people are trying to make up excuses.
Club ****ed up Delidio/Caddy trade royally. s**t happens. It didn't hurt us a hell of a lot. Let's not do it again.

Preety much. He became more open to the move after Geelong brought it up with him too.
People on here are insinuating that he wanted out and was shopping himself to Richmond or something.
I wasn't a big fan of Cadds but I'd take him over S.Selwood any day.
Nah, Richmond approached him.

Nah, Richmond approached him.
They did late last year. Just like all clubs approached many players.
Wasn't going to happen until Geelong caved and then talked to him about going as part of the Delidio deal. After that he was gone no matter what happened.
We messed up but it's not a huge deal IMO.
I know for a fact that Geelong weren't too unhappy with the pick we got for him as they weren't thrilled with his attitude and training.
Way less of a mistake than StevieJ, Chappy, Pods as at least we got something for him. And at least we have some cover for him in Cockatoo, Parfitt, Menegola who all could end up being better.
Unlike those other 3 where we gave them away for nothing with absolutely no replacements.

“I think we probably err on the side of thinking, ‘if people want to go, they can’. It’s not as though we let our best players go if they put their hand up — I don’t know if anyone has, to be honest — but there’s a philosophy around here that if you don’t like the place or you’re not engaged and you want to go somewhere else, you’re not going to get the best out of them.” - B.Cook, CEO

Exactly.
If the player's buy into the GFC is only half hearted or not fully invested, as Caddy indicated he was not by being open to the trade ( which is his prerogative btw) and the chance to clear his SC, his half heartedness, and get a decent pick back in return presents itself... why would you stop it purely out of spite and because you can.

Now, I do agree that 24 was short for Caddy - no argument there - but if thats ALL that was being offered, combined with him happy to go, I can see how the GFC got it done and reasonably quickly as well.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back