Remove this Banner Ad

Lade Schulz R.Gray
Dew Tredrea Motlop
N.Stevens Francou Boak
S.Burgoyne C.Cornes Montgomery
Wilson Wakelin Paxman

Primus P.Burgoyne R.James

K.Cornes J.Carr Wanganeen Wingard

Incredible goalscoring options. A midfield that oozes class and a defence full of the most reliable players you can find. Pretty good flexibility there as well.

Wanganeen on the bench is just silly, might as well just put Tredders on there too & have Damon White at CHF.

Would be interesting how the best PAFC team of the last 20 years would go in a hypothetical game against the best SANFL Port Adelaide team from 1976 to 1996 (previous 20 years to AFL entry):

FF Hodges, Evans, Ginever
HF Clifford, D Smith, Obst
C Buckley, Bradley, Anderson
HB Abernethy, Phillips, Giles
FB Leslie, Delaney, Fiacchi

RUCK
Johnston
R Ebert
Cunningham

INT M Williams, Light, S Williams, Russell

EMERG Brown

Im sure the AFL side would win this hypothetical game, due to fitness, but the SANFL side looks equally as accomplished.

Those hitout numbers don't reveal how good Primus' 2002 was.

Besides his abysmal finals series record (like everybody elses during 01-03), he was rarely beaten in a one-on-one contest and was surprisingly nimble at ground level, see him on the wing here:

He was a very good footballer on his day and especially during the H&A series.

Lade was a better forward than Primus.
Lade better than Primus as a tap ruckman.
Primus had more complete games than Lade, although Lade was more damaging for what were often low disposal numbers/1%ers/taps to advantage.

Pretty even I reckon, but not daylight between the two.

Obviously we all loved Byron Pickett and the way he went about it, and the Norm Smith just caps his legend off. But did he really do enough for Port at AFL level to make this team? 55 games across 3 seasons going at 11.47 disposals per game/1.4 goals per game. By comparison Angus Monfries has played 60 games across 3 seasons (effectively) going at 15.27 disposals per game/1.38 goals per game and he wouldn't be anywhere near the discussion.

I wouldn't have picked Byron, he's being picked entirely on the Norm Smith.

I'd have Monty well ahead of him, he was a wonderful halfback. Move Dom to the bench and have Monty on the flank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have picked Byron, he's being picked entirely on the Norm Smith.

I'd have Monty well ahead of him, he was a wonderful halfback. Move Dom to the bench and have Monty on the flank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Choppy to me was a fan cult hero like Grave Danger moreso than a great clubman like Tim Ginivear.

2004 GF obviously stands out and the Showdown final will forever live in infamy amongst supporters, but he was suspended throughout large patches of 2003 and 2005 and all up only spent 3 years on our AFL list, so I think Monty ahead of him makes sense.

If we are leaving Nick Stevens out on the basis he did the dirty on the club then we might need to take Shaun Burgoyne out too.

If we are leaving Nick Stevens out on the basis he did the dirty on the club then we might need to take Shaun Burgoyne out too.

We're leaving Stevens out on the basis that he wasn't very good. Went to Carlton and did absolutely nothing. Great at playing for himself and racking up stats, but when it came time to play for his teammates he went missing. A microcosm of everything that was wrong with Port 2001-2003 era if he is rated anywhere near our best 22.

Burgoyne, on the other hand, went to Hawthorn and won another three premierships and was a vital component in all of them.

1976-1996

Hynes Evans Ginever
Obst Grainger Clifford
Buckley R.Ebert Bradley
Abernethy Phillips Wanganeen
Curtis Hughes Leslie

Johnson M.Williams Cunningham

Anderson Hodges Woite McLeod

How about that- this time I get Wanganeen in the starting 18 but 3 Magery Medalists and a Norm Smith Medalist (albeit post 96) have to sit on the bench. I can't resist picking Port players who had to leave, especially after 1990, to play in the big league, and I know many will point to the flags won by Delaney and co but that was in a significantly weakened comp. Most of my team were worthy State or State of Origin reps. And I know my CHF will cause a stir but that's precisely why he plays. His raw talent has been severely underestimated by history.

Oh and the match up of D.Grainger on C.Cornes would be mouth watering.

Apologies to Light, Kinnear, Eckerman, Giles, D.Cahill, Sorrell, Delaney, Fiacchi, D.Smith, Waterhouse, R.Smith, Faletic, S.Williams, M.James, Russell, R.Ebert as a CHB, R.Ebert as a FF, R.Ebert as a back pocket and R.Ebert on a wing.

Fitness and tactics aside, I consider that the 1976-96 team had more natural football ability and a far superior mental toughness. Give them a couple of preseasons under Darren Burgess and a modern gameplan and I'd back them any day.

Last edited:
We're leaving Stevens out on the basis that he wasn't very good. Went to Carlton and did absolutely nothing. Great at playing for himself and racking up stats, but when it came time to play for his teammates he went missing. A microcosm of everything that was wrong with Port 2001-2003 era if he is rated anywhere near our best 22.

Burgoyne, on the other hand, went to Hawthorn and won another three premierships and was a vital component in all of them.
Aren't we basing selection on time spent at Port Adelaide? And not what they did before or after coming to Port? Burgoyne's 3 premiership at Hawthorn are irrelevant in a PAFC all time best 22.

I thought Stevens was a great player at his time at Port. s**t bloke and was not that flash at Carlton but I thought that period between 1999 and 2003 he was pretty good for us.

Choppy to me was a fan cult hero like Grave Danger moreso than a great clubman like Tim Ginivear.

2004 GF obviously stands out and the Showdown final will forever live in infamy amongst supporters, but he was suspended throughout large patches of 2003 and 2005 and all up only spent 3 years on our AFL list, so I think Monty ahead of him makes sense.

I like to forget that night ever existed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Stevens was a great player at his time at Port. s**t bloke and was not that flash at Carlton but I thought that period between 1999 and 2003 he was pretty good for us.

He was a finesse player who looked a million bucks when we were having our way with the opposition - which was often - but he suffered badly when the chips were down and didn't receive the protection of teammates his importance to victory was worthy of.

Same thing happened with Danyle Pearce.

Never fulfilled his true potential, but Stevens was underrated at Carlton. A prime mover with a supporting cast that was barely league-standard.

From a pure football standpoint, Stevens is still just about the best kick of a football we've had from a player at AFL level. He was a beautiful kick and his ability to be able to perfectly weight a kick to a lead is unparalleled with anyone else we've had play for our club. He had the skillset and consistency that should have seen him become a 2-3 x All Australian and multiple best and fairest, but he just lacked that little bit extra that should have seen him go from 'very good to great' to 'elite'. He would have been very close to the 23rd man of the AA team in both 2001 and 2003.

Had a crack at it myself....must say mine differs somewhat from the one in the opening post...

FB Michael Pettigrew, Paul Geister, Peter Walsh

HB Darren Pfeiffer, Troy Chaplin, Marlon Motlop

C Jimmy Toumpas, Aaron Shattock, Nathan Lonie

HF Paul Koulouritis, Cameron Cloke, Matthew Westhoff

FF Simon Phillips, John Butcher, Wade Thompson

R Brent Renouf, Steven Salopek, John Rombotis

Int Adam Morgan, Allan Murray, Cam Hitchcock, Ian Downsborough

The skills on show here wouldn't be far off last seasons efforts. :)

FrankDrebin said:
Had a crack at it myself....must say mine differs somewhat from the one in the opening post...

FB Michael Pettigrew, Paul Geister, Peter Walsh

HB Darren Pfeiffer, Troy Chaplin, Marlon Motlop

C Jimmy Toumpas, Aaron Shattock, Nathan Lonie

HF Paul Koulouritis, Cameron Cloke, Matthew Westhoff

FF Simon Phillips, John Butcher, Wade Thompson

R Brent Renouf, Steven Salopek, John Rombotis

Int Adam Morgan, Allan Murray, Cam Hitchcock, Ian Downsborough

a fit Sal doesnt deserve a spot with those numpties - otherwise the ultimate Port spud team!

Spot on. When it came to putting his head over the ball, body on the line, Stevens went missing - not a player for finals. Wasn't upset he left, just the way he went about leaving.

I will never forget lining up behind Stevens to get a hotdog at the G on grand final day in 04... I asked him how the hot dog tasted and he just glared back at me!

I still consider this as one of my all time best sledges!

I would love to follow it up now if I ever see him with... how do the hot dogs taste in prison?

Fu** Nick Stevens.

I will never forget lining up behind Stevens to get a hotdog at the G on grand final day in 04... I asked him how the hot dog tasted and he just glared back at me!

I would love to follow it up now if I ever see him with... how do the hot dogs taste in prison?

Fu** Nick Stevens.
In prison, he's probably feeling the hot dogs more than he's tasting them.

Fu** Nick Stevens.

he went to prison?

oh dear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back