Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just come out that West Coast players have taken "significant" pay cuts. Does that mean they now have enough cap space to legitimately pursue Cripps?

It has? Didn't every club have a reduced cap for 2020?

If WC intend to pursue Cripps then the 2021 salary cap plays zero part, save for any front ended contracts. There is no point playing salary cap games until such time Cripps indicates he wants to join WC. Building a 'war chest' is a North Melbourne thing to do.

It has? Didn't every club have a reduced cap for 2020?

If WC intend to pursue Cripps then the 2021 salary cap plays zero part, save for any front ended contracts. There is no point playing salary cap games until such time Cripps indicates he wants to join WC. Building a 'war chest' is a North Melbourne thing to do.
Perhaps Cripps has already given an indication and they are preparing early?

Couldn't they just trade two second rounders to acquire a first round pick? GWS did that last year by trading picks 25 and 30 for Collingwood's 2021 first rounder.

West Coast have their own 2021 second round pick as well as Port Adelaide's 2021 second rounder (via Sydney from the Tom Hickey trade) so they are probably already in a position to acquire a first round pick. They also have their 2022 first and second round picks if they want to get creative at the trade table. There are always ways to acquire necessary picks if you need them to land a big fish.
If Cripps leaves it will be for more than one first round pick bro , try two first round picks and a player .

You think Cripps is worth five first round picks?

Someone clearly didn't finish reading that sentence.

Cripps is worth a top 3 pick, plus two late first/early second rounders. The only time Cripps would be worth 4-5 first rounders, is if the top 3 pick wasn't being offered, and the other picks (like I very clearly mentioned) were around pick 20.

If Cripps leaves it will be for more than one first round pick bro , try two first round picks and a player .
The post I was responding to suggested the Eagles were unable to complete a trade for Cripps without an extra first round pick and I offered a solution of trading two second rounders for a first round pick like GWS did with Collingwood last year. I didn't suggest Cripps was only worth a single first round pick.

Cripps is worth a top 3 pick, plus two late first/early second rounders. The only time Cripps would be worth 4-5 first rounders, is if the top 3 pick wasn't being offered, and the other picks (like I very clearly mentioned) were around pick 20.
I read what you wrote. Unless a top three pick is involved (which is going to be very difficult for West Coast to acquire) you believe Cripps is worth four/five picks between 10-20. Now you're softening and saying those five picks would need to be "around pick 20". That's still a ridiculous assertion.

Jeremy Cameron is a fantastic example of a high profile free agent choosing to switch clubs and how it would likely play out with the two clubs involved. GWS barely managed to squeeze three first round picks out of Geelong and they were all in the 13-20 range. There's absolutely no way a trade involving Cripps would result in Carlton acquiring five picks between 10-20.

There's overvaluing your players and then there's ridiculous statements like yours. You better hope Cripps chooses to stay otherwise you're going to be VERY disappointed when the trade period rolls around.

Highly doubt West Coast will sell the farm for Cripps for three reasons:

1 we used a lot of picks already on a much younger, fresher T Kelly
2 Cripps age
3 Legit questions surrounding the mileage on Cripps, I know he's only had 1 owner - but that owner thrashed him

If Cripps wanted to come home, you'd think it would be more Fremantle who would be in the prime position as they would be more willing to throw more picks at Carlton.
That said, when a player nominates a particular club good clubs usually try and get the deal done, even to their own detriment.

It’s blowin in the wind
Eagles all took a paycut across the board to make room for PC, the champs JK and SHurn retire
Bundle together our seconds for a first, Future First, future third or similar permutation
Someone like Brander the steak knives

Exactly , Essendon could have had him for 6,7 &8 . Not really I still would rather he stays and he will . Only possible reason he left would be if his missus absolutely had to be in WA for health reasons and if that was the case I'm sure most Carlton supporters would understand and wish him all the best but would want fair and reasonable compensation .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see WC being into him at his age, maybe if he nominates us and it's a good deal, probably wants to be with his gf and maybe play some footy with his cousin Infront of family and friends.

Highly doubt West Coast will sell the farm for Cripps for three reasons:

1 we used a lot of picks already on a much younger, fresher T Kelly
2 Cripps age
3 Legit questions surrounding the mileage on Cripps, I know he's only had 1 owner - but that owner thrashed him

If Cripps wanted to come home, you'd think it would be more Fremantle who would be in the prime position as they would be more willing to throw more picks at Carlton.
That said, when a player nominates a particular club good clubs usually try and get the deal done, even to their own detriment.
He is only 25. Barely reached his prime.

Jeremy Cameron is a fantastic example of a high profile free agent choosing to switch clubs and how it would likely play out with the two clubs involved. GWS barely managed to squeeze three first round picks out of Geelong and they were all in the 13-20 range. There's absolutely no way a trade involving Cripps would result in Carlton acquiring five picks between 10-20.
Say what you will about him being a past Coleman medalist, across his 8 year career Cameron has averaged just over 2 goals a game, or about 45 goals a season.

Let's be honest here, a KPF who kicks around 50 a year is much easier to get your hands on than one of the best, if not the best, inside mids currently in the league.

So knowing that Cameron is worth pick 13, 15, and 20 (all which are picks between 10 and 20 ;)), you would think that Cripps would be worth another pick in that range to truly match his value.

Not such a "ridiculous statement" after all?

Carlton are only going to match a bid if what they receive from free agency is going to be less than what west coast can offer. As stated previously if we look at a worst case scenario (which would mean most likely chance of cripps walking) then carlton finish 16 and eagles finish top 2.

Compo would be pick 4 to go with their nominal pick 3.

Eagles can't trade their 2020 first, don't have the young players to acquire an extra first rounder and if they trade their 2022 first rounder they can't trade any other picks out of that draft hand.

So seriously, Carlton fans, tell me how it could possibly ******* work that West Coast offers you more than pick 4 in what is considered likely to be the strongest and deepest draft of recent times. Cause a 2022 pick between 15-20 plus pick 30 and pick 40 in 2021 is worth nowhere near as much as an early first round pick. Or even lets say pick 30, 40 and Jarrod Brander gets say pick 15-18 off someone (good ******* luck). Carlton are going to prefer pick 4 over pick 18 in 2021 and pick 15-20 in 2022.

Carlton are only going to match a bid if what they receive from free agency is going to be less than what west coast can offer. As stated previously if we look at a worst case scenario (which would mean most likely chance of cripps walking) then carlton finish 16 and eagles finish top 2.

Eagles can't trade their 2020 first, don't have the young players to acquire an extra first rounder and if they trade their 2022 first rounder they can't trade any other picks out of that draft hand.

So seriously, Carlton fans, tell me how it could possibly ******* work that West Coast offers you more than pick 4 in what is considered likely to be the strongest and deepest draft of recent times. Cause a 2022 pick between 15-20 plus pick 30 and pick 40 in 2021 is worth nowhere near as much as an early first round pick. Or even lets say pick 30, 40 and Jarrod Brander gets say pick 15-18 off someone (good ******* luck). Carlton are going to prefer pick 4 over pick 18 in 2021 and pick 15-20 in 2022.
That's the point WCE simply can't afford him , if he leaves it will be to Freo but it's all irrelevant cause he is going nowhere .

That makes it WC's problem then. You're out of your mind if you think Carlton will accept pick 4 for Cripps. And there's 0% chance he'll walk to the PSD. Unless if West Coast trades out players to Carlton, or to others for several first rounders (just like Freo would have to), Cripps won't be going anywhere.

Or if Dodoro was managing the trade. Then it would be 5 number 1s or stfu.

That's the point WCE simply can't afford him , if he leaves it will be to Freo but it's all irrelevant cause he is going nowhere .

The point is, clubs don't get to pick where the player goes to. If he nominates west coast under the above scenario carlton wouldn't match the offer. It's that simple.

If Cripps goes to carlton with his GF/fiance back in Perth and says i'm heading back to Perth to be with family and I want to play for west coast you don't just get to go to the dockers and go hey, can you offer him 200k more a year, get his manager to talk him into playing for you and then once you've done that we'll match the free agency bid so we can extract as much value in picks and players out of you as we can.

Clubs, no matter what the club is will almost always extract the best they can out of a situation but if Cripps nominates west coast with those season parameters Carlton aren't holding the cards.

Oh and whether we could fit him into the salary cap? A retiring Hutchings, Hurn, Kennedy and if Cripps comes in likely Redden would certainly cover the wage of Cripps and 3 draftees. Rotham and Witherden are there now and ready now to replace Hurn (Duggan the other defender who is likely moving into the midfield), Hutchings is outside of the best 22, Cripps would replace Redden, Oscar Allen would replace Kennedy and Bailey Williams would be in the side as the second ruck/resting forward.

Don't be surprised is all of Williams, Allen, Rotham and Witherden all play 10-15+ games each this year.

If however Cripps was to walk and chose Freo they could very easily put 2 first round picks on the table + a suitable young player (if carlton can talk the player into wanting to play for them)

The key point is not what potential clubs have in trade value its that if Cripps nominates a club Carltons response will almost certainly be determined by who Cripps nominates, relative finishing positions and trade capital.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back