Opinion Peak Judd was the best from any midfielder this century

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd - higher peak
Ablett Jr - longer peak

Correct.

Peak Judd was out of this world, I’ve never seen a better midfielder.

That ability to be able to win the ball in the thick of a pack, then escape with it in your possession, and be up to top speed in a few steps and away as one of the fastest players in the league… it was devastating.

Don't need the word 'peak' in the title and it's still true.

He turned two different versions of himself into two different best players in the game, which is just remarkable. I doubt there's ever been a player to do that. He was the best in the game for years at WC as a burst goalkicking mid. And then he was the best player in the game, albeit for a shorter period, as a contested ball pig at Carlton. A truly incredible footballer.

He's 2nd only to Franklin after 2000 for me.

West Coast Judd was Cassius Clay, Carlton Judd was Ali.

And Goodes/Buckley should hand over their 2003 medal to Judd
yur kidding right ? Buckleys Collingwoods best ever according to most and probably the most elite user of the ball possibly ever and Goodes played every
position except for FB and won 2 charlies legit,not gifted one by Demitriou for licking Pratts jewel bag

Chuck arguably the goat ruckman in cox, norm Smith medallist embley, and Tyson stenglein in, and they absolutely did

Ottens - not as good as cox but you could argue as a finals player he was every bit as good
Ablett - 8 time all Australian
Bartel - Brownlow medallist
Corey - 2 time all Australian
Enright won his first AA as part of the mid field
James Kelly - All Australian
Selwood - 5 times all Australian
Johnson and Chapman - two multiple all Australians rotating through it
Ling - all Australian.

Don’t think they batted as deep

OP is correct. Peak Judd… 2004, 2006… possibly (probably?) the best midfielder the game has seen.

From 07 onwards injury got him and he was just normal “great” level 🤣 Thats all some people saw or remember of him. But those first five years at WC… holy sh*t.
The midfield group during his time at the Eagles was phenomenal. Allowed him to play a destructive attacking midfield role to perfection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first three you mentioned are as good as anyone but they didn’t bat as deep as Brisbane or Geelong
If we're talking about centre square combinations, that includes ruckmen. And WC have Brisbane and Geelong covered when you frame it like that.

Ottens - not as good as cox but you could argue as a finals player he was every bit as good
Give me a spell.

Cox, Judd, Cousins, Kerr. A ruckman and 3 mids who start in the centre square. WC win. There's no debate.

Last edited:
West Coast Judd is the best footballer of the modern era. Judd the bloke, Judd the media figure, Judd the Carlton player, Judd the Carlton board member, Juddchella, have all served to obscure and diminish the pure greatness of the first 130-odd games of his career.
I reckon you could still make the case for Franklin.

I reckon you could still make the case for Franklin.

Judd had a consistency and inevitability that Franklin never had, or at least didn't have from after the 2008 prelim onward. Franklin 2009-2013 was infuriating at times. I remember in 2012 having a lengthy conversation about how Hawthorn had blown their premiership window and wouldn't capitalise on the list build. The very next weekend Buddy came out and kicked 13. Almost like he knew both he and the club were in a bit of a spiral towards mediocrity. People forget Hawthorn were 4-5 sitting eighth and coming off a 10-goal belting at the hands of Richmond going into that game. As an aside, North laying down to get pounded in that final quarter is still one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Anyway, Judd has a norm smith whereas Franklin's best grand final came in the 2014 smashing. That alone tips it Judd's way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back