Player Watch Pick #12 (2021) - Josh Sinn

Remove this Banner Ad

I was quite impressed with his game on Fridays intertrial.
A couple of times his vision to pinpoint a pass inside 50 was elite.

I was shocked, I mean it was eyebrow raising stuff. I'd written him off, had his papers stamped and filed him under 'bust'.

Not only did he deliver but finger's crossed, injuries aside, he looks hungry for plenty more. He'd have watched fellow

draftees from his year forge careers and thought "i'm as good as those mofo's now out of my way i've got a point to prove".

Hope he plays 20+ games this year

Think he played 17 last year so wasn't far off it. Certainly does feel like he's had an uninterrupted pre season though which should ensure he has his best opportunity yet to cement himself in the AFL side.

Think he played 17 last year so wasn't far off it. Certainly does feel like he's had an uninterrupted pre season though which should ensure he has his best opportunity yet to cement himself in the AFL side.

Josh Sinn has played 4 career games

Edit: unless you were talking about SANFL games, then play on

Accidentally put the post below in the Will Lorenz thread instead of here. For context it was about how well he played

in the scratch match

I was shocked, I mean it was eyebrow raising stuff. I'd written him off, had his papers stamped and filed him under 'bust'.

Not only did he deliver but finger's crossed, injuries aside, he looks hungry for plenty more. He'd have watched fellow

draftees from his year forge careers and thought "i'm as good as those mofo's now out of my way i've got a point to prove".

The footy he played in the trial was a glimpse of the draft highlights from Xavier College, quick run and carry from the back half , with a long penetrating kick. Seemed to be cleaner in his short passing also, which was a small concern. Hope he can just stay sound and get a run of games. Positive signs at least.

The fact everyone is writing off a 20 year old is a head scratcher, the fact people are rooting for him to fail for what we sold for him, the fact people haven’t even seen him in the flesh yet pass judgement that he is a bust just sums up this society and board in it’s entirety.

Watch the 2004 team get inducted to the PAFC Hall of Fame and listen to Choco talk about a weak and soft Toby Thurstans waiting 4-5 years to make his debut…

We are lucky Sinn is on our list and even if he never plays another game for us, with the youth and talent we have on our books he was worth the price and risk we paid.

The fact everyone is writing off a 20 year old is a head scratcher, the fact people are rooting for him to fail for what we sold for him, the fact people haven’t even seen him in the flesh yet pass judgement that he is a bust just sums up this society and board in it’s entirety.

Watch the 2004 team get inducted to the PAFC Hall of Fame and listen to Choco talk about a weak and soft Toby Thurstans waiting 4-5 years to make his debut…

We are lucky Sinn is on our list and even if he never plays another game for us, with the youth and talent we have on our books he was worth the price and risk we paid.
Who is rooting for him to fail?

That last paragraph is a joke right?

A Player doesn’t control where he gets picked or what trades were done to get him nor whether he gets injured. His only responsibility is to try hard. That’s it. But Josh has been judged a bust because of where he was drafted. Moronic.

It’s a testament to the extent of his talent that he was capable of turning around the naysayers in a single internal trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peninsula Boy liking that post after his little episode over McEntee is a classic.

Don't write off the good looking first round draft pick who just looks like a footballer but open season on the battler taken as a mid season rookie who has actually shown more.

Peninsula Boy liking that post after his little episode over McEntee is a classic.

Don't write off the good looking first round draft pick who just looks like a footballer but open season on the battler taken as a mid season rookie who has actually shown more.
so true, Jed gets smashed but it's only been 2 and bit years since he was drafted, and as a mid season rookie with very low expectations. I think he has actually performed above expectations, not many of those mid season rookie's have gone on to do much.

i suspect most of the angst against Jed is that he seems to have a gold pass at selection, but that's on the selection committee so it just completely irrational to be going after the player.

I doubt many if any Port supporters want Josh Sinn to fail, but given what was involved in drafting him it was fairly obvious he was always going to be under more scrutiny than most.

There were no doubt promising signs in the internal trial and the obvious confidence he got from it with his subsequent comments that he is now over his injury woes and is ready to cement a spot in the team.

The above aside, although the signs for 2024 are no doubt promising I'm not getting too carried away with a player's form in an internal trial just yet, as he wouldn't be the first to look a million bucks in trial and practice matches to later struggle when the heat is applied in the real stuff.

It was definitely a step in the right direction though, so here's hoping it's onwards and upwards from here on in and we see more good signs in tomorrow's game against the fruit tingles.

Bloody Hell, I jumped off the Jed thread because people were getting their knickers in a knot over not much.

To the post above, once more again, just BS.

I assess players as best I can, with what I see, footage, their attitude, etc.

I have always loved Josh Sinn's potential, not because he is a first rounder, but of what I have seen and heard. I am a big draft fan so I eat up just about all the content I can. I have always personally felt that only injuries are holding him back and nothing else.

I don't like Jed so much because I haven't seen much form at all at AFL level.

I have talked up Jase Burgoyne, Hugh Jackson and Thomas Anastasopoulos on their threads and they are late draft picks.

I also talked up Bergman at the start of the last year and said he could make the midfield even with the stars we have in there. People scoffed at that.

I suggest people going for the ball and not the man and especially making up false narratives which have no foundation. Lets leave the calling of white noise and propaganda to Koch and co.

Last edited:
The footy he played in the trial was a glimpse of the draft highlights from Xavier College, quick run and carry from the back half , with a long penetrating kick. Seemed to be cleaner in his short passing also, which was a small concern. Hope he can just stay sound and get a run of games. Positive signs at least.

I also thought his presence around the contest was improved

I don't think people want Sinn to fail but they are a little anxious and a little frustrated that he hasn't shown any real form yet.

Usually by now, a player who has been in our system for a couple of years would have shown us a good run of form, a quarter here or there or at least glimpses and flashes of brilliance at AFL level or even in the SANFL. And Josh hasn't quite wowed us yet.

If you add that he was a first round pick, 12 overall and we had to trade a future 2nd Rounder to move up two spots, you can see our return on investment thus far is not cutting the mustard.

You can pile on a mid-season draft pick who isn't playing well but if he's a first rounder, it can be even more vicious. :cool:

Thinking Josh might nab that 7th defender half back bench spot, and it’d be in the clubs interest to give him a decent run of games. If they want longevity and to build his body up, playing on the wing might be too much running.

Challenge will be how to fit Houston, Bergman, Jones, Burton, Farell, or Williams into the other 3 spots. Surely one of them goes up to the wing…

Thinking Josh might nab that 7th defender half back bench spot, and it’d be in the clubs interest to give him a decent run of games. If they want longevity and to build his body up, playing on the wing might be too much running.

Challenge will be how to fit Houston, Bergman, Jones, Burton, Farell, or Williams into the other 3 spots. Surely one of them goes up to the wing…
It will be the classic Hinkley flanker surplus story.

Start the year with proper structure, 3 talls at each end, and by round 11 there'll be 10 half backs in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back