Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenny's ace up the sleeve come finals will be Pep attending stoppage... as a ruck!
He'll announce it like Gil at the Brownlow too.

"With Lycett injured, our #1 ruckman in this weekend's game will be Sam ... Powell-Pepper".

I think back to when we picked up Sam and in his first preseason game he dropped Shaun Burgoyne on his ass with what was arguably the best don’t argue in history, at least at some form of AFL level. Yeah it was a preseason game but this was a 19 year old kid on a veteran of the game doing something not even Dusty could do, and he was the bloke most would think of when it comes to a don’t argue. It was a move that could’ve just been a flash in the pan, yet all across his first season we’d see it almost week in week out.
After he popped his shoulder against the Eagles that same year, it looked as if he sort of toned down his aggression on the field and over a couple years he sort of lost what made him him.
In the years since though he’s found his role in the side and built upon the aggression in his game to do all the tough things not many others can do. It’s truly a privilege to see him wearing our guernsey and I hope we see that until the day he retires. Port Adelaide through and through.

sometimes I feel like we need Sam in the midfield for his crash/bang, forcing the issue to change things up/turns things around at times

He is now our #1 one on one, or one on two bull. He has the fitness to run and spread from a clearance. He defends, tackles, is rarely brought down and would be a clearance machine given the chance. It beggars belief that he does not spend more time at clearances especially at times we are struggling there. But it seems all falls to the wayside its all about keeping the ball inside our forward fifty.

Managed to get into the change rooms after the Collingwood loss, through some completely obscure associations with Carr.
What struck me is how much SPP has come on as an ambassador of the club. Completely taken aback with the manner in which he interacted, without prompting, with the kids who were present. A rub on the head, a high 5 - splendid diplomacy. The others, despite the loss, were friendly when asked, but for SPP it was completely natural and unrequested.
Great marketing tool.
I hadn’t realised how much Pepp had matured…level headed, humble, grounded, speaks so well, team minded.
Absolutely loved this interview… def worth a listen..He is known as Sam Powell Pressure interstate according to Rowe.🤣
Also his missus is expected to deliver their second child sometime over the next few days. Selfishly I hope it’s not Saturday pm.

He has had such a good year that he deserves some time in the middle on occasion. He's earned it and offers something different.

Worst case scenario he stays forward.

F3Zc18WboAACIgG

I like how the umpire gave GWS a free kick against Sam because he felt sorry for the little fella getting bulldozed in a perfectly fair tackle. Strong little league umpiring vibes. Pick yourself up lil man we won't let the big bully hurt you

The little man being Callan Ward, renowned as one of the hardest players in the comp. He would've been as surprised as anyone.

I like how the umpire gave GWS a free kick against Sam because he felt sorry for the little fella getting bulldozed in a perfectly fair tackle. Strong little league umpiring vibes. Pick yourself up lil man we won't let the big bully hurt you
Haha. Yeah.

Ward was facing Sam when he got the ball, didn't attempt to evade the tackle, just stood and turned side on, let Sam tackle him, fell to ground and rolled over, then gets a free for in the back 🙄😒

Garbage decision.
As was half the decisions yesterday again.
Won by nine goals, still lost the tackle count, despite all Ken's sucking up to the umps. 😡☹️

Stuff those cheating ***'s.
Don't ever give them any kudos. Not even one scintilla.
They're not deserving of any praise whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is our best option for the HF position. Can't help but feel we should play him in the middle
He just needs to add that first give attacking hand-ball.
Where currently he only hand-balls when he gets stuck and is out of options.

Sam might now get reported for his don't argue, if he gets it wrong and gets a bloke in the head. The AFL yesterday released its rule / interpretation changes for 2024.

Explained: All the new rule changes for the 2024 season
  • The action of a player ruled to have committed a strike when intentionally shoving or fending an opponent will now be graded as Intentional rather than Careless (watch Charlie Ballard incident below, cited by the AFL as an example)

Sam might now get reported for his don't argue, if he gets it wrong and gets a bloke in the head. The AFL yesterday released its rule / interpretation changes for 2024.

Explained: All the new rule changes for the 2024 season
  • The action of a player ruled to have committed a strike when intentionally shoving or fending an opponent will now be graded as Intentional rather than Careless (watch Charlie Ballard incident below, cited by the AFL as an example)

Laura Kane on AA last night did clarify that would only be the case when the 'fend' was off the ball

Doesn't apply to a ball carrier giving a don't argue

Laura Kane on AA last night did clarify that would only be the case when the 'fend' was off the ball

Ok thanks for the clarification. I didn't hear that as I only caught part of the interview whilst in the car.

Heaven forbid Dusty Martin might be scrutinised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back