Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit of disservice to say that Connor has more potential than Walsh.

Walsh is no doubt a more vanilla player, so there's lots of room for improvement still, to add more strings to his bow.

Connor is undoubtedly more exciting currently, and has Walsh covered in a lot of ways, but it's highly likely his round 3 game vs Brisbane could end up one of the best he ever plays, like Tredders game vs Carlton in his second year. I guess we will have to wait for an apples to apples comparison that will eventually come when Rozee is in the middle more often.

Til then, who knows, who cares. I'm just stoked we have who we have, Connor, X, and Z.

I'm in the camp that doesn't understand the lack of love here for Sam Walsh. He is special. Has consistently polled coaches votes throughout the season.

But I also agree that Connor has insane upside and a whole untapped world of genuine midfield minutes. This is where he'll be at his dynamic best.

I'm in the camp that doesn't understand the lack of love here for Sam Walsh. He is special. Has consistently polled coaches votes throughout the season.

You have to blame Andrew McGrath.

But I also agree that Connor has insane upside and a whole untapped world of genuine midfield minutes. This is where he'll be at his dynamic best.
Does anyone really not love Sam Walsh here? Saying you'd prefer Connor doesn't mean you don't love Walsh.

Walsh is clearly in another stratosphere to Mcgrath

Yeah I reckon there are a few for sure. Vanilla? Rhys Palmer? Yeah, there's a few.
I posted the Rhys stat comparison that seems to have triggered you.

I rate Walsh and think he will deservedly win the RS.

I would draft him 2nd after Rosee in a hindsight draft.

I also like stirring s**t.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

From memory to date b Walsh has polled two more votes than Connor. They are both pretty bloody handy but very different

From memory to date b Walsh has polled two more votes than Connor. They are both pretty bloody handy but very different

And I was waiting for that stat.... Connors games were 8's and 10"s I'd imagine. Couple of real high end performances.

Check out how many games Walsh has polled in. As I mentioned, it's his consistency.

In a hindsight draft where we have pick 5 i would walk away having picked Max King gleefully
Q: Is it too early to give your top 10 hindsight picks from last years draft?
A: Probably
Q: Can you do it anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waaay too early, except I’ll say again more confidently that we should’ve bid on Blakey at the Rozee pick
Blakey did well up against Duursma (who was injured mind) which was pretty impressive IMO.

Wouldn’t take him over Rozee, Walsh or the other two KPFs though. Maybe not even over Ben King who I haven’t actually seen but apparently is kicking a lot of goals. Rankine is a huge wild card though. Has he even played a NEAFL game?

My question is what type of player do you see Blakey becoming to rate him so highly? Particularly at Port Adelaide?

I’m thinking Josh Kennedy of the Sydney variety FWIW. Though I’ve only really seen his junior highlights and games against us.

My question is what type of player do you see Blakey becoming to rate him so highly? Particularly at Port Adelaide?
He’s got agility, pace, height, leap, the game sense to mark at the apex where he’s hardest to spoil, he can lead and mark or score on the run, he’s a genuinely goal hungry player, and he loves football and will get his team and fans fired up.

Blakey is the best bits of John Butcher and Clive Waterhouse combined with someone who can kick. Maybe a little too big a call but not by much.

I’d stil have Max King ahead of Rozee, but am very nervous that Ben King might turn out a gun too, though if he leaves GC I’ll feel better as ’homesickness’ was the main factor for me in not wanting him at 5 if Max was already in Victoria.

Ben King looks fantastic, worth every bit the pick 6 he was taken at.. and to think he was the unfashionable twin. Reminds me of a super mobile Jason Koschitzke with a sense of balance.

With chat that both Lukosius and Ben King are looking elsewhere I wonder if GC don't regret not picking the more obvious pairings..

#2 Max King and #6 Ben King or
#2 Lukosius and #3 Rozee

Not that this guarantees either will stay (think the Wakelins at Collingwood, Hills at Fremantle) but interesting nevertheless

He’s got agility, pace, height, leap, the game sense to mark at the apex where he’s hardest to spoil, he can lead and mark or score on the run, he’s a genuinely goal hungry player, and he loves football and will get his team and fans fired up.
TBH, this sounds a lot like Rozee as well. Except maybe the loving football part.

Rozee has shown good signs as a forward with plans to move to the midfield as he progresses through his career.
But, he could either go on to become a club legend like Robbie or a one-hit-wonder like Wingard. We will see, and hopefully, it's the former of the two!

It always seems to be the plan that if anyone is any good at what they do, they will play midfield one day.

Im pretty happy with where he is right now and if he can become an even better forward, why not stay there?

There seems to be 2 divisions of opinion in football. That Midfielders win games because they’re the source. Then there’s the group that think forwards win games because they kick scores.

The answer is obviously midfielders btw.

There seems to be 2 divisions of opinion in football. That Midfielders win games because they’re the source. Then there’s the group that think forwards win games because they kick scores.

The answer is obviously midfielders btw.
We are number 2 for disposals, 1 for Inside 50s and clearances.

Yet 8th only on percentage.

That kind of dominance doesn’t help that much of you can’t score. Need to score to win.

We are number 2 for disposals, 1 for Inside 50s and clearances.

Yet 8th only on percentage.

That kind of dominance doesn’t help that much of you can’t score. Need to score to win.

It’s not dominant when Rockliff Wines SPP and Boak hack it forward. If we had better mids we’d move it faster and cleaner inside 50 solving both problems at once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back