Player Watch Pick #51 (2017) - Kane Farrell

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 1 KPD outside our 22, Hombsch.

Lienert and McKenzie will be playing out of position as KPDers in the SANFL.

Righto but I'm not convinced we need to look at drafting a defender until next year.

Plus KPD is not really a firm position in our defense, we are more zone / mobility based.

It's not the size or strength, it the ability.

Not really sure that a first year player drafted at pick 60 would have helped our defence much anyway.

I agree that we want to get another tall or two onto the list, but I’m hoping that we have a good plan to address that in next year or so.

I’ve really, really loved our recruiting the last two years. It certainly won’t end up perfect, but its been really focused and has clear strategy in mind. We’ve essentially recruited defenders, talls, inside mids, outside mids, and now a couple of forwards over the last few years.

Will be very interesting to see what we do next off season, but for now I’m freaking excited about 2018!

Not really sure that a first year player drafted at pick 60 would have helped our defence much anyway.

I agree that we want to get another tall or two onto the list, but I’m hoping that we have a good plan to address that in next year or so.

I’ve really, really loved our recruiting the last two years. It certainly won’t end up perfect, but its been really focused and has clear strategy in mind. We’ve essentially recruited defenders, talls, inside mids, outside mids, and now a couple of forwards over the last few years.

Will be very interesting to see what we do next off season, but for now I’m freaking excited about 2018!

I have loved our recruiting/drafting since Ken came on board.

I have loved our recruiting/drafting since Ken came on board.
It's been very targeted that's for sure.

Needed a ruck target Ryder & draft Ladhams, need inside mids Atley, SPP & Drew with FA Rockliff the following trade period, key forward? trade in Dixon & pick up Marshall, lose a bit of pace in Impey & replace it with Motlop & Barry.

There are a lot of things Ken gets questioned about but his list management with his off field department & ability to sell the club to potential recruits & attract talent here isn't one of them.

It's been very targeted that's for sure.

Needed a ruck target Ryder & draft Ladhams, need inside mids Atley, SPP & Drew with FA Rockliff the following trade period, key forward? trade in Dixon & pick up Marshall, lose a bit of pace in Impey & replace it with Motlop & Barry.

There are a lot of things Ken gets questioned about but his list management with his off field department & ability to sell the club to potential recruits & attract talent here isn't one of them.
A lot of credit has to go to Jason Cripps and Geoff Parker as well.

But for some reason pick Pick 56 players average 77 games which is more than pick 6

Between 1990 draft and 2005 draft 7 x 200+ gamers and 4 x 100-199 gamers were drafted. Its been a poor pick since 2005 draft when Joel Patful was drafted with 56. Hopefully Doogie breaks that mould.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks/56

But for some reason pick Pick 56 players average 77 games which is more than pick 6
Only 15 odd years (so n=15 for a pick) worth of decent talent identification (not zone based) networks, is going to throw up lots of statistical anomalies. Looking at picks 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, then 21-30, 31-40 etc. would start giving you enough data points to give you more confidence in the results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 15 odd years (so n=15 for a pick) worth of decent talent identification (not zone based) networks, is going to throw up lots of statistical anomalies. Looking at picks 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, then 21-30, 31-40 etc. would start giving you enough data points to give you more confidence in the results.
Not sure what you mean. 31 drafts before this year's, using pick 56 and 16 consecutive drafts 1990-05, produced quality in 11 of those 16. The other 15 drafts didn't. Why? when 11 are after 2005 draft and supposedly there is more effort put into the draft and resources compared to the 1990's, have so many been a bust? The first 7 after 2005 were a bust with the next 4 guys still playing and career not finished?

Not sure what you mean. 31 drafts before this year's, using pick 56 and 16 consecutive drafts 1990-05, produced quality in 11 of those 16. The other 15 drafts didn't. Why? when 11 are after 2005 draft and supposedly there is more effort put into the draft and resources compared to the 1990's, have so many been a bust? The first 7 after 2005 were a bust with the next 4 guys still playing and career not finished?
I just meant 15 data points for any particular pick is a small enough sample that one or more of the picks has a good chance of looking odd. It just happens to be pick 6 or the high picks.

Just watched the highlights video on PTV. Has he ever swung his leg past forty five degrees when kicking?. Never seems to kick hard or 'through the ball' but is finding his target well with the right weighting on the ball. Happy we drafted some skills

Kane Farrell has to defy the odds. Pick 51 has been a desert for drafting players only averaging 12 games per player over 30 drafts.
https://www.draftguru.com.au/picks/51

Nearly every pick up to #80 has at least one, and often more, 100+ game players, premiership players and AA players. Only 1 player was drafted at #65 who played more than 50 games and players drafted at #80 played 65 games at an average of 3.6.
Picks 51 and 65 are the only two picks up to #80 that have been really poor, in general you would expect quite a few zero game players and maybe a few diamonds from late picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back