Analysis Pick Watch - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Id throwing 23 and 26 around and seeing who we could possibly net with them. Id be looking at Dom Tyson from the Dee's, especially if they can get Gaff, I reckon they'd jump at 23 or 26 as their first pick isn't until pick 31in the draft. Jake Lloyd and/ or Nic Newman from the Swans who are both OOC. Lloyd has already turned down two contract offers and Newman is OOC too and on the outer after a good 2017. All three would be good gets for us. All three are in the right age bracket. All quality players IMO.

Newman and Lloyd are players that would look good in a strong team but will look like Mullet in crap sides. Not sure those are the players we should bring into our club.

I'm 30 so was only 7 when we won the 95 flag. Wish I could say I remember it well but I don't. Just a vague memory of watching the game and seeing how pumped my dad was.

He told me about how often we won them and how we were the greatest club in afl history.

He passed away about three years ago. I bet at the time he didn't think that would be the last flag he would see.

I see these 60 year flag droughts some clubs go through, and a small part of me asks "will I actually ever see one?"

Pretty much my whole life I have had the hope that we will be good in 3 or 4 years... then 3 years into that it's still "in 3 or 4 years"

Want to know the days I long for.... 2011... how sad is that.

When this rebuild stated, we were told a 66 game three year rebuild. And I quote.. "we are a club in a hurry".

Three years in, and I'm hearing be patient, we will be good in 3 years or so...

I just.. ... my damn soul has died a little more each week this year.
Couldnt understand this club in a hurry statement bolton was so often stating over the past couple of years .
Havent heard it for awhile now go figure .

I hate to say this but we are the Saints of this century.

People have such short term thinking. Saints, Fitzroy were basket cases for decades and little success for over a century. This is our worst period in our successful history but we will be back and the rest of the competition will pay

Newman and Lloyd are players that would look good in a strong team but will look like Mullet in crap sides. Not sure those are the players we should bring into our club.

If we get a priority pick though then I'd be happy to take a shot at bringing in Lloyd with pick 26. I don't think he's a world beater but he's not that bad.

Which out of contract players would you chase with #23 or #26? Or would you rather keep them both for the draft? If so, what if we get gifted #19 as a pp? Would you then take a shot at any out of contract player with one of #19, #23 or #26?

My early call. SOS see's this a the last big list change

Will go hard on FA for Gaff Dahlahus Lester etc and offer overs as we have the money. Any trades will be done using future picks where possible. eg. Brodie/Scrimshaw for future second round and steak knives

We will also chase as many good picks as possible. Pick One is on the table for more good picks and a trade. A top 10 pick, a pick between 10-20 and a good player will do it. A draft with around Picks 7, 15 then 20 & 30 would be a good result. BSOS at 64 then late gold at 81. Then a couple of rookies.

2019/20 will be for FA's and "Big Fish" and a couple of draftees. That on top of what we have developing has us looking good in 2020/21

By 2020 our list will look very very different and so much better. Northern Blues flag in 2020 :)

Not sure who will bite. Maybe nobody, but it can't hurt to ask the question. I've been keen on it since the end of last years trade period.

Depends on how each club rates the draft and how they view the prospects likely to be available beyond pick 20.

I just think we're in a really good position with a great deal of flexibility.

Looking at how things are sitting at the moment, if the Suns lose Lynch, I wonder how prepared they'd be to swap some picks to bring in Lukosius. Would be nice to bring in the Eagles first pick and again would open up even more options for us...

If Tarryn Thomas finishes the year strongly North may want to get rid of their first round pick (currently 10) in exchange for some 2nds to get him for the best possible value using points.

Then depending on the perceived value of #1, perhaps you could look at flipping it for 2+16/25/player or 8+13/player+19/37/player.

Our current hand of 1, 23, 26, 66 & 73 could become one of the following:
2, 10, 16, 52, 73
2, 10, 25, 52, 73
8, 10, 13, 19, 52, 73
8, 10, 13, 37, 52, 73
...plus the extrapolations involving players, be it Brodie, Scrimshaw, McGovern, Gallucci, or whoever's name is being thrown about at the moment.

If we get a priority pick though then I'd be happy to take a shot at bringing in Lloyd with pick 26. I don't think he's a world beater but he's not that bad.

Which out of contract players would you chase with #23 or #26? Or would you rather keep them both for the draft? If so, what if we get gifted #19 as a pp? Would you then take a shot at any out of contract player with one of #19, #23 or #26?

Hard to know what players are available, if there was a simple list of available players it would be easier. I only hear about the bigger names like Gaff and Shiel. Those two players would require top line picks. I would not mind waiting a year or two before we attempt to land the big fish FA. I think this year we go to the draft again and if we can get a FA without using picks then look into those styled players.

I know, I grew up as a kid assuming Carlton just win premierships. Now I have a son that tells me he hates Carlton because they keep losing. (He also loves the Eagles because freaking Nic Nat lives 100m from us and plays in the park with him.)

Surely if anyone could get someone to blindly follow their team it would be a 'Lemming Master'....:p

Hard to know what players are available, if there was a simple list of available players it would be easier. I only hear about the bigger names like Gaff and Shiel. Those two players would require top line picks. I would not mind waiting a year or two before we attempt to land the big fish FA. I think this year we go to the draft again and if we can get a FA without using picks then look into those styled players.
Hey LM what do yo think we should do with pick 1? Draft Lukoscious of trade our pick for extra picks in the top 10 somehow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey LM what do yo think we should do with pick 1? Draft Lukoscious of trade our pick for extra picks in the top 10 somehow?

I'm in the Lukosius camp at the moment.
If I'm being honest, I will bank on the following three players being very good Lukosius, Rankine and Walsh... After that, I am not as sold on the options.

King - One with a knee injury and the other reminds me a little of the likes of Boyd... One trick tall forward that might be best suited as a defender
Blakey - Freaking Sydney player
Smith- Kicking hmmmm
Thomas - North

Then what other great options are there?

If we drift down the order too far, there is a little more pot luck on who you will get.

I could see this year having clubs with massively different ratings passed pick 6 or so.
The BF phantom draft is coming up and that may show some elements of how different our rankings are at the moment.

Here you go my friend:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Using our 2nd rounders won't really grab us a big fish, but they should get us some decent experienced players.

I believe they are both far better players than Mullet will ever be. Id definitely looking at bringing in both.

I agree they're better players, just not sure those players suit below average teams. They're the icing styled players.
Look at Melksham who the demons went out and got for a 2nd rounder. 4 weeks ago he was towelling teams up. Normal services have resumed now he is playing decent teams and Melbourne are struggling. We need to be targeting good player if we are giving away 2nd rounders

Move house....
I know, I grew up as a kid assuming Carlton just win premierships. Now I have a son that tells me he hates Carlton because they keep losing. (He also loves the Eagles because freaking Nic Nat lives 100m from us and plays in the park with him.)

Same here, throughout the years took it for grated it was our preordained right to accumulate premierships which we did.
Hate Pies, Tigers, Bombers simple enough. Now we're a shambles.

I agree they're better players, just not sure those players suit below average teams. They're the icing styled players.

I don't want to generalise about the younger generation but I don't see the current crop of midfield stars as the types that are bold enough to do what Judd did for us.
Judd could have gone to Collingwood but for whatever reason he didn't.
By coming to Carlton, he took a risk. He saw the challenge of working with young guys like Gibbs and Murphy and must have said, I am up for this, I can be a part of transforming this once mighty club.
Does anyone remember the Carlton vs Sydney game, royal wedding night, 2011? I do.
We hadn't won there it what seemed like 3 generations but on a night that looked like 80's style mud and slush wet weather football, Judd had something like 25 contested possessions. For me personally, I think of that game as his greatest ever for Carlton.
He was an absolute warrior.
I just don't see those qualities in the current footballers. They seem to be only interested in chasing either big bucks or walk-up finals appearances.
Judd took the opportunity to transform a club back to being a finals contender.
Argh but then again, it is Judd we are talking about. I spose it is not fair to compare mere mortals to the great one!

I don't want to generalise about the younger generation but I don't see the current crop of midfield stars as the types that are bold enough to do what Judd did for us.
Judd could have gone to Collingwood but for whatever reason he didn't.
By coming to Carlton, he took a risk. He saw the challenge of working with young guys like Gibbs and Murphy and must have said, I am up for this, I can be a part of transforming this once mighty club.
Does anyone remember the Carlton vs Sydney game, royal wedding night, 2011? I do.
We hadn't won there it what seemed like 3 generations but on a night that looked like 80's style mud and slush wet weather football, Judd had something like 25 contested possessions. For me personally, I think of that game as his greatest ever for Carlton.
He was an absolute warrior.
I just don't see those qualities in the current footballers. They seem to be only interested in chasing either big bucks or walk-up finals appearances.
Judd took the opportunity to transform a club back to being a finals contender.
Argh but then again, it is Judd we are talking about. I spose it is not fair to compare mere mortals to the great one!

One could say Treloar picked a team for a combination of money and bringing them back to glory.
Prestia with Richmond...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back