Analysis Pies win one for the ages! 78-62 - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

But they are nothing! I starting going to the footy in 1997 and hated Essendon. Growing up in the West you either followed Essendon, Collingwood or the bulldogs. Carlton did not have many fans in my area plus their club is so s**t how can you hate them.
because...it’s in your DNA

As I keep saying to my mates. They need to take out the holding the ball free kicks out of the count. It’s deceiving. Basically the better team with higher pressure gamestyle will get skewed results.

I agree.

Also, I've seen a few Richmond games this year. What I've noticed is that same high pressure is what sometimes gets them into trouble. Often they tackle with so much intensity that they push players in the back or take them high, etc.

I think sometimes the adrenalin a player can have when lining up an opponent with the ball can hinder their ability to stick a perfect tackle. That said, their tackling is generally pretty elite.

Never understood the pure hate for Carlton they are just the next Fitzroy. Carlton should merge with North Melbourne. Carlton Kangaroos fc
Ironically that is an example of one reason to hate them - their arrogance.
They tried to buy North Melbourne.

Just had a phone call from a friend who is a Geelong supporter and said he heard Taylor Adams on SEN (not sure when) who said that Pendlebury got the group together at 3/4 time and told them, "I will lead and I want you all to follow'.
Gave me goose bumps. What a Captain!!!

Did anyone else hear this?

Just had a phone call from a friend who is a Geelong supporter and said he heard Taylor Adams on SEN (not sure when) who said that Pendlebury got the group together at 3/4 time and told them, "I will lead and I want you all to follow'.

I quickly heard Crisp on SEN this morning, pretty sure he said it didn't happen

they discussed it the other day.

Pendlebury told the other mids at 3/4 time to lock down at stoppages and he would concentrate on clearances.

regardless of what was said, Pendlebury's actions in the last quarter were a clear strong, leadership statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been saying pretty much since I joined BF that the Top 3 worst in the comp in order are:

1) Essendon - Staggering for a club with such a large supporter base of a club almost as big as ours that their supporters have so little idea of the sport they're actually watching. It's incredible stuff. I don't mean the usual bias that comes with being a die hard supporter of your club. I mean the really bizarre stuff. Like...if a Collingwood player has the ball and an Essendon players fingertip makes contact with the Collingwood player with the ball you'll hear "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OH MY GOD THESE UMPIRES ARE THE WORST!". Like literally with fingertip contact. It's bizarre.

2) Hawthorn - Seriously, sitting around these people in the AFL Members for the last 20 years has been...something. Similar to Essendon supporter in that you just wonder if they actually know what sport they're watching. I mean, it's scary to think that the Collingwood supporter base, the most "one-eyed" in the league has more objectivity than these people.

3) St.Kilda - We're known as the club with "the most ferals" but I tell you right now, the ratio of ferals in St.Kilda's supporter base eclipses ours by a long way. We may have more ferals through sheer weight in numbers because of how many supporters we have, but St.Kilda's supporter base has to be at least 50% ferals where ours in reality might be 20% at worst. I mean, even when they're getting pumped by 15 goals, you'll hear them after every. single. goal. "St,Kilda!" *CLAP CLAP CLAP* "St.Kilda!" *CLAP CLAP CLAP*. Oh my god shut the f**k up you're getting pumped.
On the other hand, my Essendon-supporting oldest friend sent me this message today...

“I just heard some stats from Champion Data. Collingwood has lost the most games through injury of its best 22 players, and they’re still second on the ladder! Get a few back and you never know. Get excited BA!!”

Class act. They’re not all bad.

1st Thing I have heard that Pendles has Stood up like this as Captain.

Shows how Important Maxwell has been since he Returned at Start of Season

What does that have to do with Maxwell?

Think that Pendlebury is his own man and has stood up before and proved to be a good Captain, even DeGoey credits him with helping/supporting him.

I would have liked to have seen a Barry Hall type response to be honest but he'll need a few years in the gym first.

So funny watching Barry bring 4 Kangas down with him!
They're funny when they try to act tough aren't they?

My grandfather taught me that blokes that ACT tough aren't !
You've gotta watch the quiet ones!
download-1.jpg download-2.jpg

What does that have to do with Maxwell?

Think that Pendlebury is his own man and has stood up before and proved to be a good Captain, even DeGoey credits him with helping/supporting him.

giphy.gif

Am I to assume you disagree by posting a gif? No problem, lucky we are all entitled to an opinion without ridicule.

It wasn't directed at you Maggie5 and especially not to ridicule your opinion.

It was directed at Dave because I know your opinion of Nick.
It was obviously a poor attempt to tell Dave he was in trouble now.

Curious to know if this is something our coaches are pushing hard. We seem to use the swat/tap alot in 2018 so I'm going to assume it is. Degoey does it all the time, as does Langdon.

More swattage/tap to advantage. How good was big Cox's tap!
emYzL2E.gif

Congratulations on the win and apologies as I meant to have this up much earlier.

Midfield frequency stats for the match - for those that haven't seen these before, this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at each centre bounce.

There were 25 bounces

Pendlebury 22
Mayne 21 wing
Adams 17
Sidebottom 16 (9w, 7i)
Sier 15
Phillips 14 wing
de Goey 9
Daicos 6 wing
Thomas 5

Rucks:
Grundy 25

Notes:
- Grundy is only the 2nd ruck (after Goldstein in Rd 14) to attend every bounce in an analysed match this season. Cox has averaged 5 bounce attendances over the 10 Collingwood games analysed.
- Sidebottom moved into his old wing role for the 2nd half, largely at the expense of Phillips
- Second lowest appearances for Phillips in an analysed game this season, the only game lower was Rd 8 where he got injured.
- On a couple of occasions in the first half, when Sidebottom was starting off the back of the square and Sier in the midfield, Sier would attend the bounce then run away from the next stoppage to play as a forward with Sidebottom replacing him as the 5th mid.
- For a 2nd game player, a lot of trust was placed in Sier as he attended 5 of the 8 bounces in the last term.

Congratulations on the win and apologies as I meant to have this up much earlier.

Midfield frequency stats for the match - for those that haven't seen these before, this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at each centre bounce.

There were 25 bounces

Pendlebury 22
Mayne 21 wing
Adams 17
Sidebottom 16 (9w, 7i)
Sier 15
Phillips 14 wing
de Goey 9
Daicos 6 wing
Thomas 5

Rucks:
Grundy 25

Notes:
- Grundy is only the 2nd ruck (after Goldstein in Rd 14) to attend every bounce in an analysed match this season. Cox has averaged 5 bounce attendances over the 10 Collingwood games analysed.
- Sidebottom moved into his old wing role for the 2nd half, largely at the expense of Phillips
- Second lowest appearances for Phillips in an analysed game this season, the only game lower was Rd 8 where he got injured.
- On a couple of occasions in the first half, when Sidebottom was starting off the back of the square and Sier in the midfield, Sier would attend the bounce then run away from the next stoppage to play as a forward with Sidebottom replacing him as the 5th mid.
- For a 2nd game player, a lot of trust was placed in Sier as he attended 5 of the 8 bounces in the last term.
Please don't apologise, this is awesome. Come more often if you're going to drop off gems like these!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back