List Mgmt. Players returning from Injury for finals

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see this topic is popping up in various threads so thought I give it a dedicated thread as it is a important issue that we face heading into September.

We discussed on last nights Podcast that as it stands right now we only have Nankervis, Butler, Townsend, and now Lambert missing from the Grand Final line up.

Nank is back without questions, Towner is up in the air.

Butler and Lambert have now just had the same minor ankle surgery with a view to get them right for the first final according to the club. Conca is also trying to fight his way back from injury after rolling his ankle in his limited match time in the VFL on the weekend.

How much of a risk is it to be throwing these guys back into the team in September?

I think Lambert is excluded from this as his lay off will only be for a few weeks so he should still have a decent fitness base and conditioning, so his transition back into AFL should be a lot easier.

Butler will have missed 8+ weeks of football and Conca around 5-6 by the time he is right.

Do we take the risk with those two knowing there is a chance they could blow up by mid way through the 3rd quarter? If so, who are they replacing in the side?

Big decisions to be made at the selection table!

for anyone interested in hearing the discussion from last night, link below to the Pod.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/15480500
1 advantage we have is VFL will be playing Finals so we can give the rest a run around to get match fitness back up again.

What are the rules regarding playing VFL finals when AFL team has a bye?
Does common sense prevail?
Such as Butler (or Conca or Lambert etc) allowed a returning from injury run in VFL despite not playing a single VFL match all year?

What are the rules regarding playing VFL finals when AFL team has a bye?
Does common sense prevail?
Such as Butler (or Conca or Lambert etc) allowed a returning from injury run in VFL despite not playing a single VFL match all year?
As far as i am aware anyone can play. Cyril played a half in a GF for Box Hill to get a run before playing in the AFL GF the next week one year.

As far as i am aware anyone can play. Cyril played a half in a GF for Box Hill to get a run before playing in the AFL GF the next week one year.

Rules will change this year. Just wait for it. Anyone who plays VFL finals will be ineligible for AFL finals.:rolleyes:

As everyone has said Lambert is a walk up start for Finals W1.

Butler and Conca - I think you could probably risk playing 1 of them a little underdone in Finals W1 but definitely not both.

I’d really feel for Conca if he missed out again given everything he’s gone through missing out last year, getting into some really good form this year and then having that sickening ankle injury derail him

Did I read Butler was at 95% before they decided on surgery? It had just taken too long to get there so that prompted him going under the knife. He was operated on before Lambert so should be ready before him. It’s just a question of how much footy can he miss.

Did I read Butler was at 95% before they decided on surgery? It had just taken too long to get there so that prompted him going under the knife. He was operated on before Lambert so should be ready before him. It’s just a question of how much footy can he miss.
Got to play butters if he's 100% very important link up across half forward if he's not i would play loyd in his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back