Players that your club turned down or gave away

Remove this Banner Ad

It was more than an "expression of interest" that he signed. An expression of interest is not legally binding, so Carlton would not have taken legal action over that.

Yep, that's usually the case, and actually I think it was a 'Letter of Intent' but either or, it was not a playing contract.

Please note while an 'Expression of interest' or 'Letter of intent' are 'usually' non-binding legally, depending on the language in the document either party may have legal recourse specifically if one party incurs costs (the car) and/or the breaching party has ignored specific conditions stated in the document which they have clearly failed to undertake in good faith.

Last edited:

Recently:
Jesse Hogan - didn’t seem to be much resistance from the club internally when he went to Freo.

Jeremy Howe - IIRC we were trying to get him to shift and extract a high draft pick from Gold Coast. Backfired a bit when he wanted to go to Collingwood, backfired even more so given the player he has become.

Lynden Dunn - didn’t fit Goodwin’s plans and was effectively delisted. Thank goodness that Oscar McDonald is the best KPD in the comp.

James Frawley - probably could’ve kept him but the AFL were offering up ridiculous compensation.

The naughties:
Brock McLean - his development had stalled but still got a first rounder out of Carlton and used it on two time Rising Star nominee, Jordan Gysberts.

Shane Woewodin - probably the right call but awfully handled and damaged the club.

Darren Jolly and Troy Simmonds - handy ruckmen but were behind Jeff White.

The 90s:
Matthew Bishop - became a solid defender and premiership player at Port.

Nathan Bassett - became a Crows legend.

The 80s:
Drafted Darren Jarman but couldn’t convince him to come and play.

The 60s:
Kevin Sheedy was in Melbourne’s recruiting zone and tried out at the club before going back to Prahran and then being cleared to Richmond. Religion/sectarianism probably came into it from either or both parties.

Roughly four decades later he was an unsuccessful coaching applicant at the club missing out to Dean Bailey at the end of 2007.

Posted this before Fitzroy rejected Terry Wallace as too slow and Gavin Brown I believe.Were also offered the Daniher bros for John Murphy but took 2 nonentities.
If they had made right call I suspect would have won at least the 1983 flag and then who knows

Posted this before Fitzroy rejected Terry Wallace as too slow and Gavin Brown I believe.Were also offered the Daniher bros for John Murphy but took 2 nonentities.
If they had made right call I suspect would have won at least the 1983 flag and then who knows
They had a chance to get Dunstall in the 80s as well, picked Scott McIvor instead. Handy player who ended up at the Bears, but geez missing out on one of the greatest full forwards of all time hurts.

Geoff Raines was tied to FOOTSCRAY .
Jim Jess was somehow st Kilda bound before tigers
John Ironmonger was tied to Richmond
Brett chalmers Michael Clarke and John klug were either signed toRichmond or under 19s
Michael Aish was form 4 to Richmond
Scott Turner was demons listed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Freo has the mother of all balls ups...We traded first dibs on Andrew McCloud to Adelaide and picked up Chris Groom. Really set the tone for us early 😂

We gave up Jeff White, James Clement, Peter Bell’s best years must to name a few. I’m sure there’s more but I’m already crying and I don’t want to end up with a migraine.

We did something with Mumford. Not sure what exactly but he was at Sydney the following year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picking Gumbleton Over Selwood, Steinberg over Parker, and Myers over Cyril. Throw in letting Houli and ted Richards go

And yes, we could've bent over backwards and pandered to every whim of GAS in the knowledge of his undeniable talent (ie. keep turning a blind eye to him not turning up to training, keep selecting him over teammates that were training and training hard, rocking up on game day whenever he felt like it etc etc), and compromised all of the club's professional standards and expectations...but where did that get you guys?
One man does not win a premiership but GAS went bloody close in 1989.

Imagine if Ablett has been surrounded by as much talent at Geelong as his son was....

One man does not win a premiership but GAS went bloody close in 1989.

Imagine if Ablett has been surrounded by as much talent at Geelong as his son was....
Glong had plenty of talent playing with Ablett Hawthorn just had more
Stoneham Hocking Bews Brownless they had plenty more to add to that but can’t recall them atm

We wouldnt have won flags. Ablett was toxic.

Selwood is the interesting one. Would he have accepted unders to stay through our flags ?

Lol.

So he could get an inferior side - and lets be honest at that stage an inferior club - to Hawthorn, to 4 grand finals, one of which we lost by 6, another of which we led handily, but somehow his literal silence and introvertedness during his career would have somehow stopped you succeeding.

He didnt want to play for Hawthorn. They didnt think he was worth fighting for. They went on to win a truckload of flags and Geelong won nothing.

Yet somehow Hawthorn screwed up ?

Don’t think anyone is saying it’s a screw up. But it’s pretty stupid claiming he would have somehow torn the club apart just because he was a bit of an individual.

Good clubs manage those players. As the most successful one arguably of all time I find it doubtful Hawthorn wouldn’t have managed

Lol.

So he could get an inferior side - and lets be honest at that stage an inferior club - to Hawthorn, to 4 grand finals, one of which we lost by 6, another of which we led handily, but somehow his literal silence and introvertedness during his career would have somehow stopped you succeeding.

And won none of them. And yes.

The consensus at the time was 100% committment from all players and all coaches and he disnt want any of that.

Hawthorn:
G. Ablett Snr - thus also Jnr
J. Leppitsch - played U/19s
A. Lynch - we had a choice of 3 Tasmanian players
We almost got 17 year old J. Brown - we got cold feet and took D. Loates
Josh Kennedy
McPharlin (we had little choice)
We should have drafted J. Selwood...

And many others
Hadn't realised hawks were close to landing J Brown

D Loates though was fair compensation

Remove this Banner Ad