Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been surprised how many people are happily talking about voting Palmer\Hanson etal.

They are obviously doing more convincing talking than people give them credit.

Does show how ordinary our main party politicians are.

I look at the SA Senate and just shake my head.
Our main parties aren't actually that bad. What we see and hear from the press is a product of own ability to only listen to sound bites and cliches (on average). They speak and act in a way that tries to appeal to those people. They're poor at it and seem really disingenuous. Where as a doofus like Hanson seems genuine. Lots of people have no interest in politics (so they say) but are easily susceptible to propaganda.

Imo even though I don't like some of the liberal's core social values and some individual MPs, they're not performing that bad. Leading a country in today's age is a tough gig. The economy is barely keeping afloat and has some serious deep down issues. There is so much scrutiny on everything regardless of if it is even warranted.

Labor has some bold policies that might have a small positive or negative effect (time will tell), but overall are pretty similar to the liberals economically. They're both aiming for a surplus. Both favour strong free markets (slightly different for financial) and trade.

The economy is one area that is indifferent to which party is in imo.

So I'm old so my memory doesn't work so well these days I'm sure we had four year election cycles at one stage? Half the problem these days is the three year election cycles parties are so worried about polls they don't ******* do anything

So I'm old so my memory doesn't work so well these days I'm sure we had four year election cycles at one stage? Half the problem these days is the three year election cycles parties are so worried about polls they don't ******* do anything

State politics is 4 year terms, but federally it's always been 3 year terms from what I can remember.

Labor had a launch this weekend too

I don't get it

The election campaign has been going for five weeks

Why is the Launch today?!?!
It has to do with funding. From memory, they have to fund things themselves after they launch their campaigns. A lot of the funding before that comes from govt coffers. Something like that.

EDIT: Confirmed
If you're wondering why the parties leave their official 'launches' so late, there's a simple - but infuriating - answer: they only have to pay for their own campaigns after the official launch. Until then, it's a taxpayer-funded romp around the nation.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...6-labors-campaign-launch-20160619-gpmjao.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a book or a comic?

I've read the comic and thought it was great. I thought the Voice acting in the movie by Hugo Weaving made the character.

It's a graphic novel, not a comic ;)

Page 2 and 3 of The Advertiser today is a double full-page ad for UAP

So disturbing, i saw one of his many ads on TV last night and he was talking just rubbish - "make it so companies pay tax only once a year"

I worry for this country, when a billionaire who won't pay his workers or the ATO will throw $50M at an election to get himself elected to a $200K/year job, because he knows he can pressure the Govt from the senate to get his mines signed off

So disturbing, i saw one of his many ads on TV last night and he was talking just rubbish - "make it so companies pay tax only once a year"

I worry for this country, when a billionaire who won't pay his workers or the ATO will throw $50M at an election to get himself elected to a $200K/year job, because he knows he can pressure the Govt from the senate to get his mines signed off

Money talks and always will unfortunately.

Has there been any proof that the $7m of unpaid monies to workers has actually been put into a trust account? If it can't be proven then it is horse s**t and needs to be called out.

I actually don't understand the logic in that, at the end of the day it still has to be paid.

It's like someone saying just pay your mortgage once a year and save yourself a $1,000 a fortnight. At the end of the year you still have to come up with the $26,000 to pay for your mortgage.

jenny61_99 yo're up in QLD, what's the general feeling around the UAP?

Please tell me no one there is falling for it?
I’m a little concerned to be honest. His advertising has been never ending. My son - who votes for the first time this weekend - said he’s seen these ads in every YouTube vid he’s watched (and often multiple times). He’s got multiple billboards everywhere. I mean, you just can’t go anywhere without seeing his presence. Unfortunately that will translate to votes because you know, the average person is a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back