Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, i don't think violence is the solution.

Somehow I'm supposed to be super-concerned more about poor Tony Abbott's least-vicious headbutt of all time - you know, the one he said he didn't want to make a big thing about, that he's held two press conferences about today, and said "It’s just a reminder of how ugly this debate is getting" . I'd rather use my energies being concerned about the daily abuse and violence LGBTQI people suffer.

I'm not going to post that little Mexican (?) girl asking for two types of tacos as that would demean this conversation, but I'm not sure why people can't be concerned about the abuse and violence LGBTIQ+ people receive AS WELL AS the abuse Tony Abbott or Christian child entertainers receive.

I keep hearing that this is a nuanced argument with lots of grey areas, but I see a lot of people endorsing something because it happened to someone or a group they dislike. (Not you as such deaneus, but it's pretty much all my social media is full of at the minute).

We've become like America, where you protest violence on the other side by being violent yourselves. Or you decry bullying while have a bash at someone yourself. Hypocrisy writ large, with a complete unawareness of it, all the while thinking you're right and if only the other side would just come around to your thinking then the world would be a better place.

Geez this whole vote has become a circus, distracting politicians from governing the country... when they should have just had a parliamentary vote to save us time, money & protests... but that would have requires them all to show leadership.

Geez this whole vote has become a circus, distracting politicians from governing the country... when they should have just had a parliamentary vote to save us time, money & protests... but that would have requires them all to show leadership.
couldn't agree more

Yep Kane. Except I'd argue this circus is just distracting the politicians from their usual circus.

Yup, completely real

I thus concur, Mr Abbott was assaulted, which is wrong and cannot be tolerated.

Do you sir concede that the attack was not motivated by the SSM marriage debate?

(Tell you what, anyone reading this, ask yourself the same question, and if you did think it was SSM related, raise your hand. You don't have to post it here, do it quietly at home and reflect)

My last post for the evening - I think we can all agree we have more important matters tonight: the annihilation of the lost evil force known to man

Methlong

So he was wearing a "Yes" sticker......The man himself.

They say don't judge a man by his looks...

The guy is a Grade A cretin.

Yup, completely real

Do you sir concede that the attack was not motivated by the SSM marriage debate?

(Tell you what, anyone reading this, ask yourself the same question, and if you did think it was SSM related, raise your hand. You don't have to post it here, do it quietly at home and reflect)

My last post for the evening - I think we can all agree we have more important matters tonight: the annihilation of the lost evil force known to man

Methlong
I suggest your statement there is 100% wrong in the words of man the committed the violent act himself.
Time to admit you've been proven wrong on all counts.

But you're welcome to keep digging that hole for yourself.

You can't ignore the reality that they are just one part of a total party machine. They don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want, especially if it is directly opposed to the existing party position. Turnbull would have had to have lobbied the powerbrokers pretty hard to be able to take a plebiscite policy to the election. It seems so simple that a conscious vote be held in parliament allowing all elected members to vote what they think represents their electorates or general community view. He would have absolutely have wanted that but there's a reason that he can't have it that way.

You can't ignore the reality that they are just one part of a total party machine. They don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want, especially if it is directly opposed to the existing party position. Turnbull would have had to have lobbied the powerbrokers pretty hard to be able to take a plebiscite policy to the election. It seems so simple that a conscious vote be held in parliament allowing all elected members to vote what they think represents their electorates or general community view. He would have absolutely have wanted that but there's a reason that he can't have it that way.
Which just goes to show the current parties structures are stuffed & would prefer to waste taxpayer money that could be spent on far more important things & saved us from this circus.

I suggest your statement there is 100% wrong in the words of man the committed the violent act himself.
Time to admit you've been proven wrong on all counts.

But you're welcome to keep digging that hole for yourself.
Abbott is very punchable, but can't condone violence even if he says idiotic things.

Yup, completely real

Methlong

I might be in the minority, but I never really considered it important one way or the other. It doesn't matter what side of any fence one sits on, when you get right out to the extreme on both sides, you're only dealing with efftards. Yes voter or No, the blokes just not quite the full quid.

Which just goes to show the current parties structures are stuffed & would prefer to waste taxpayer money that could be spent on far more important things & saved us from this circus.

Yeh, you and me both, should have just been a conscious vote in parliament. Out of interest, what was to stop the Greens introducing the legislation in the senate which might have forced the government's hand into accepting a conscience vote. It's been a long time since legal studies, but I have a vague recollection that the Senate can introduce legislation.

On the party structure, having been pretty close to the action up here in the Territory, I can assure you that a weak party that allows the parliamentary wing to act on any idiotic thought bubble that enters there head is a significantly worse situation. You need a strong party to keep the egotistical dickheads in check.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, you and me both, should have just been a conscious vote in parliament. Out of interest, what was to stop the Greens introducing the legislation in the senate which might have forced the government's hand into accepting a conscience vote. It's been a long time since legal studies, but I have a vague recollection that the Senate can introduce legislation.

On the party structure, having been pretty close to the action up here in the Territory, I can assure you that a weak party that allows the parliamentary wing to act on any idiotic thought bubble that enters there head is a significantly worse situation. You need a strong party to keep the egotistical dickheads in check.
Didn't the Greens vote with the coalition to stop a vote being brought on in the Senate on their own bill?

Edit : Yes they did.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/poli...reens-slammed-for-blocking-same-sex-vote.html

I support marriage equality

I voted yes

But even more so, I support the rights of those to vote no and to not be labeled

That’s just thin, superficially appealing clap trap. No real thought behind it at all

No one is ever immune from the consequences of their free speech, it’s not what it has ever meant.

People absolutely do not get, do not deserve and are not entitled to free from the labels their freedom of association and speech implies. It’s ridiculous to even think it let alone say it

To the point I doubt the motivations of anyone saying it, and what conclusions they really came too.

Anti racists do not support the racists right to be heard

Anti homophobia campaigners do not support the right of bigots to be heard

Etc etc

I find it hard to believe someone who so trenchantly believes in the rights of people against equality not to be labelled for what they are, really voted yes. Much more likely they are just pretending so their so called opinions don’t get dismissed out of hand

Might I recommend a dose of

8C10A7C5-A6B3-40DB-9897-1805317575EF.jpeg

If we are really interested in toning down the homophobic rhetoric on these boards, perhaps a crack down on the use of terms such

Eat a dick
Or
Suck my dick

Sure that’s been used many times in relation to Danger, and a desire for him to be experience the full prison shower effect, but it’s also implying that these acts are wrong, shameful and not becoming of a real man

I got no problem calling out thick, knuckle scraping racists and bigots, and using deeply emotive language to do it, but we can do without language that carries ingrained prejudice in it

Though I am prejudiced against thick people, I admit to my hypocrisy!

I don’t care if they’re gay straight black or transgender, god didn’t discriminate when handing out stupid :D :p

Who else has been spammed by the VoteYes Mob today with an unsolicited text message,??

Their pushy attitude is not doing their cause any good IMO.

YmRm22.png

Who else has been spammed by the VoteYes Mob today with an unsolicited text message,??

Their pushy attitude is not doing their cause any good IMO.

YmRm22.png

It's in contravention of the Spam Act 2003 - and they were dumb to include an Australian link in there as well. That just confirms it's unlawful spam.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...k=aca0b99b3fed8eb457b248c521bd601f-1506226096

Matthew Abraham: How Premier Jay Weatherill keeps the lid on controversies

His great political weapon – and he has a few because he is now almost certainly Australia’s most formidable, some would say shameless, political operator – is his capacity to calm a population that, on the issue of power prices and grid stability alone, should be rioting in the streets. Figuratively speaking.
In this half-awake state, he frequently gets away with some ludicrous statements. When Lynn Such, the widow of the late MP for Fisher, Bob Such, called ABC Radio Adelaide this week to ask why the government did not reveal its plans to close the Daw Park Repatriation Hospital until after two local by-elections, the Premier said he “didn’t know about it ... there might have been plans somewhere in the agency”. Really?
When presenter David Bevan questioned the plausibility of this denial, the Premier replied: “Well, it’s not being closed, its services are being distributed all around.”
It’s not being closed? Are you kidding? This will be news to hundreds of nurses, doctors and veterans who know their much-loved hospital is cactus. The whole idea is that voters vague out during his government’s increasingly frequent policy calamities – Gillman, Oakden, abused children in state care, dumping the old RAH consortium, the Leaning Bridge of South Road, or hot and cold running legionnaires in the new hospital’s drinking water – but wake up to applaud the latest Great Escape, a little like a great uncle who nods off intermittently during Die Hard 2.
The Premier departed from the lullaby script just once, in 2015, his Year of Living Dangerously, when he launched the hideously expensive nuclear dump royal commission – a costly debate about changing our time zone and a cheap chat about lifting the GST rate. None of which amounted to much.
It is all very clever. The ALP must be banking on an electorate waking up with sweet dreams instead of a nagging sense of things falling apart, of a centre that cannot hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back