Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just looked at the SANFL player ratings from yesterday.

Farrell - 0.0

How the club hasn't developed forwards is amazing, it's my biggest gripe and seems to be a common theme under Hinkley - we have had problems goal kicking all year and the best damn shot is wallowing in the 2nd's.

How do we not develop forwards is an indictment on the PAFC - 2013-2019.

Lucky we have 38 half back flankers.

kmfmcx8.jpg

Re ex Port players who have improved their game since moving to another club I'm on the same page as those who believe Impey is heading in the right direction, but the bloke who has surprised me the most is Pittard at the roos.

I haven't seen any of the all too regular ( ie at least one per qtr ) bomb scare moments from him in the games I have watched, he has been poised in his decision making more often than not, and his disposal, particularly by foot has improved as well.
I expected him to spend the vast majority of his time at North in the VFL and then be delisted after a maximum of 2 seasons, so you really do have to wonder how much poor coaching had to do with him falling through the floor at Alberton.
I am sure there is a chicken and the egg argument here but our crowd got to Pittard eventually.
The move was the best thing for him.
Happy for him.

Imagine the melts if they lose!

If they win then, meh. They should anyway.

If Carlton are on they’re more than capable of exposing Adelaide’s soft underbelly of 9 or 10 super ordinary blokes.

Re ex Port players who have improved their game since moving to another club I'm on the same page as those who believe Impey is heading in the right direction, but the bloke who has surprised me the most is Pittard at the roos.

I haven't seen any of the all too regular ( ie at least one per qtr ) bomb scare moments from him in the games I have watched, he has been poised in his decision making more often than not, and his disposal, particularly by foot has improved as well.
I expected him to spend the vast majority of his time at North in the VFL and then be delisted after a maximum of 2 seasons, so you really do have to wonder how much poor coaching had to do with him falling through the floor at Alberton.

North have deployed him in more defence-oriented roles where he was always really underrated as a spoiler/interceptor.

Hinkley infected him with that “take the game on, I’m happy to wear your mistakes” nonsense. So we burned a good defender with a good kick, expecting him to be a loosey goosey with an excellent kick.

And ended up with the worst of both worlds.

4th Vs 5th this week for a shot at the top 4
6th Vs 9th with top 4 and top 8 hopes riding

Yet IMO the match of the round this week is so clearly the Crows Vs Carlton.

What a ripper that promises to be. I'm not even joking, there's gotta be a s**t load of spice in that match up, with the fascinating undercurrent of the #2-3 draft pick.

I am almost more interested to see how that s**t show goes than our own game.

Icing on the cake would be if Mitch McGovern kicked the winning goal, but unfortunately McGovern ate all the cake.

Swings and roundabouts

If the Minister For Propaganda is insistent on beating us over the head for not being forever grateful for Hinkley’s miraculous feats of 13/14, by the same metric we owe an even greater debt to Chad Wingard.

I had to go to stats to confirm they were real https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-port-adelaide-power--kane-farrell
DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 15​
Jun 29​
3​
1​
4​
1​
0​
1​
5​
0​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
36​
25​
Round 14​
Jun 22​
Cats
3​
1​
4​
2​
1​
0​
1​
0​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
27​
24​
Round 13​
Jun 15​
6​
4​
10​
2​
4​
1​
1​
0​
0​
2​
0​
3​
0​
1​
1​
59​
72​
Round 11​
Jun 2​
5​
2​
7​
2​
2​
0​
1​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
41​
59​
Round 10​
May 25​
4​
5​
9​
1​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
2​
0​
1​
0​
1​
0​
34​
36​
Round 9​
May 19​
Suns
9​
5​
14​
4​
3​
0​
3​
0​
0​
2​
1​
0​
0​
1​
0​
80​
86​
Round 8​
May 11​
6​
5​
11​
2​
1​
1​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
4​
0​
0​
2​
39​
38​

Hang on, Farrell has kicked DOUBLE what Dixon has, for only part of the same forward game time.
W.T.F

Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2019
W.T.F

Dixon. Is = 60th for contested marks in 2019. 7th in 2018. 2nd in 2017

Dixon is. 3rd in Frees against in the AFL

4th, by 0.01%, in Clangers, in the AFL

Meanwhile, Ladhams and Marshall can't get a game,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I’m seeing a few predictions of ‘straight sets’ around the traps, but they’ve never lost a final at the Gabba (12-0 — 1996, 1999-2004, 2009).

When it’s packed to the patricks on one of those balmy spring nights up there, they’re a force to be reckoned with.

Imagine having a coach who just lets his players have a go?
Wherever The Lions finish this year, Chris Fagan should be coach of the year.

Chris McDermott, for ones wrote something of use in yesterday's Sunday Mail. Pointed out only 2 coaches - Malthouse and Blight have gone from failing to win a flag in their first go, to doing so at their second club. It's probably why we don't follow the NFL route of many coaches getting 2nd chances. It happened more in the VFL in the 1970's and 80's but the second tenure was usually short. Since its become a national comp not many blokes have gotten a second go, especially this decade, unless they have won a flag, Roos and Sheedy at GWS come to mind. Eade at the GC and Lyon at Freo haven't won a flag before or since.

Be warned. In the past 50 years of the AFL/VFL, only two men have coached a team to a premiership after failing to deliver the silverware at their first coaching gig. And they were two unique men — all-time greats and legends of the game — Mick Malthouse and Malcolm Blight. The mere mortals have found it impossible.

Malthouse took the West Coast Eagles to glory for the first time in 1992 and backed it up in 1994, after finding the challenge too great at Footscray in 1985. The Doggies made it to a preliminary final but could go no further.

Blight took Geelong to the “one day in September” in 1989, .... + 1992 and 1994

Chris McDermott, for ones wrote something of use in yesterday's Sunday Mail. Pointed out only 2 coaches - Malthouse and Blight have gone from failing to win a flag in their first go, to doing so at their second club. It's probably why we don't follow the NFL route of many coaches getting 2nd chances. It happened more in the VFL in the 1970's and 80's but the second tenure was usually short. Since its become a national comp not many blokes have gotten a second go, especially this decade, unless they have won a flag, Roos and Sheedy at GWS come to mind. Eade at the GC and Lyon at Freo haven't won a flag before or since.

Be warned. In the past 50 years of the AFL/VFL, only two men have coached a team to a premiership after failing to deliver the silverware at their first coaching gig. And they were two unique men — all-time greats and legends of the game — Mick Malthouse and Malcolm Blight. The mere mortals have found it impossible.

Malthouse took the West Coast Eagles to glory for the first time in 1992 and backed it up in 1994, after finding the challenge too great at Footscray in 1985. The Doggies made it to a preliminary final but could go no further.

Blight took Geelong to the “one day in September” in 1989, .... + 1992 and 1994

are you saying Ross Lyon could be the third

are you saying Ross Lyon could be the third
No, just remembered there have been a couple who didn't have a flag but got a 2nd chance after Roos and Sheedy. There are probably more but I didn't remember them and wasn't going to look anything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back