Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old fashioned punch to the back of a forwards head by Scott Thompson. Don’t see that too often these days.

St Kilda having a good patch actually.

It's Geeelong's request to play Hawthorn at the G because of the crowd. Eagles game was a home game this year, everyone wanted it at the G except for some weird contractual obligation the AFL had with Etihad. In the finals we always play interstate sides away if we finished lower so never an issue there.[/QUOTE]

Except if its the last final of the year.

I really hoped Victorians knew better about the advantage they have but that's sadly been put to bed.

As one of this board's few resident Vics, I can say growing up it was never something that crossed my mind. West Coast in the early 90s, Adelaide in the late 90s, and then Brisbane's dominance in the early 2000s (not to mention 04, 05 & 06 also being won by interstate sides) meant that it always felt even.

It's only post 2006 that it's really been an issue, with 10 of the last 11 flag winners being Victorian (and almost certainly 11/12 after 2018). I suspect there are three main reasons for this:
1. The game is less skillful now than it once was, and more fitness and athleticism based. Players are under more physical stresses, which magnifies the effects of traveling during rest days.
2. Umpiring is much worse now due to the constant pointless rule changes. There are a lot of rules now that are so inconsistently umpired it feels like every time they come up the umpire pretty much flips a coin on what they want to do. Put people in a situation where they are no longer confident in their own knowledge of the rules (because they are changing every week), and the crowd affirmation free kicks becomes much stronger.
3. The fixture. All I can really say is that it's awful, I don't have specific comparisons here, but it's clearly not a fixture that was designed with fairness in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their scheduling for the first week of finals has me baffled.

Assuming the higher placed team wins every game, week 2 would be...

Friday: Hawthorn (8 day break) vs Melbourne (7 day break)
Saturday: Collingwood vs Sydney (both 7 day breaks)

Which makes sense from an AFL marketting perspective

But then in week 3 you're left with either giving WC the Friday game, and therefore giving first placed Richmond a shorter break before the grand final (and also the presumably higher rating game on Saturday) or making the winner of the week 2 Saturday game play off a 6 day break versus Richmond. Neither of those options makes sense.

I won't bother watching one finals Game I don't reckon. Completely disinterested.
Yeah footy can get stuffed for a while. I'm only watching whenever we play out of obligation.

Melbourne two players down in the second half and still doing it easily. The AFL needs to throw more money at GWS.

If the AFL can fund GWS to pay out Leon Cameron's contract they can bloody well fund us to pay Ken out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back