Review Port overcome Dogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Never going to win with the outs we had.

Power has done an amazing job at trades, but our unbalanced list sits with him. No pressure forwards and only 1 AFL standard ruck on the list.

I know people here didn’t rate Lewis Young, but he’s playing great for Carlton. Instead of us playing him, we gave games to Cordy who is horrendous.

With more injuries tonight, that’s season done in my opinion. This team isn’t winning 9 of the next 14. Think we are all entitled to feel pretty flat, our club has shown yet again we are incapable of handling success.
It doesn't help that Nick Austin left after two years. I'm sure that disrupted things recruitment wise.

I’m usually the first to defend umpires but tonight was as bad I’ve ever seen it.

Inconsistent, missing easy free kicks and just not knowing the rules.
Missing the most blatant on the full rushed behind and There is no way in this world the Naughton behind was touched and there certainly wasn’t enough evidence to overturn it. Those two decisions alone cost us 12 points.

Having said the above, the umpiring didn’t cost us the match but it certainly didn’t help.

I disagree - too many players out , plus game day injuries. More than happy with the effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the effort was good, surely we can't fault that. All the boys at least had a crack.

In the end I really don't think we could've done any more than we did. They kept plugging away and driving the ball into a forward line being flooded with Port players.

No side can carry the number of structurally important players like we currently are and then lose another 3 in game and expect to win.

The cupboard is bare and this is stretching us beyond all reason, exposing guys that just aren't up to roles of best 10-22 players. There are a lot of guys in this side who are at best 18-22 role players.

We've hit the wall. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I am pissed off, not so much about this game exclusively but that every time I think we are set for a period of competing we drop completely.

We all know we have injuries and players out of form and I honestly believe we have a coach out of form as well. We don’t know how Bruce will come back, JUH isn’t ready yet and we don’t have second ruck.

This could be a make or break year for our club for the next few years. We have an unbalanced list, a number of key players needing to be re contracted and holes to fill in our list. Big decisions to be made and ones that will have a major impact on our club

I just don't know with Beveridge.

Weird 'battler' players. Bailey Williams up forward.

I mentioned it in the game thread but our strength and conditioning has been s**t for years. So many soft tissue injuries already this year.
Nothing wrong with Williams forward as a hit-and-hope. Clearly has talent. Just in a massive rut.

As an aside, Crozier was shite when he came on and I’ve been saying he should be in the team.

I am pissed off, not so much about this game exclusively but that every time I think we are set for a period of competing we drop completely.

We all know we have injuries and players out of form and I honestly believe we have a coach out of form as well. We don’t know how Bruce will come back, JUH isn’t ready yet and we don’t have second ruck.

This could be a make or break year for our club for the next few years. We have an unbalanced list, a number of key players needing to be re contracted and holes to fill in our list. Big decisions to be made and ones that will have a major impact on our club
This this this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont trust a solid handful of players in that lineup tonight and some others are playing extremely soft football...

the forward line is utterly horrendous and devoid of system.

really struggle to watch it after a grand final year last year.

Irrelevant

Well we didn’t do it last year and now we do. Not saying it’s why we’re losing but if no one else is doing it, and we have had a crap run since doing it, can’t be helping.

VDM, McNeil & Scott combined for 18 possessions. Roarke had 11 at 54% playing wing.

We carry far too many players every week, yet continue to persist with the same plans. This is why the heat needs to start going onto the coach. He’s good enough to do it, but is he too stubborn to try it?

2016 if a soldier went down, we had another able to step in and we could keep going. Now if one goes down, they look underprepared and out of their depth.
But Bevo loves these guys

For anyone who fronted up weekly between 1978 to 1982, tonight was mildly annoying to watch.

More annoying is that we are fielding the teams we are, lacking adequate ruck and KPP coverage. For a club that has made 2 GFs in 6 years, we should be knocking back enquiries from player managers. I know we are frustrated at over-drafting inside mids and HBFs, but what are the actual reasons we won't/can't attract capable talls?
Deliberate list management?
$$$?
Coach/ing?
Club perception?

Ageing Cloke and Martin, unfulfilled Schache and not quite tall enough O'Brien.

Why can't we nab talls? Is Bevo too specific with what he is tasking Power with?

Frustrating, given we are a capable team.

Keen to reset expectations and give some of the younger, developing players a run. West, Cleary, Sweet, Jones, Raak should all come in and play some games this year in place of guys like Cordy, Smith and Martin (among others)

Has there ever been a coach that has made a grand final twice and not made the finals the next season twice?

Doubt it.

I also doubt there’s been a coach who gifts ground position for some theoretical edge, despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

Or one who couldn’t give a s**t about the ruck position during a period where the AFL is making rules to ensure it remains important.

Honestly. If you made the argument Bevo is our greatest ever coach I’d be fine with that. But he’s jumped the shark.

Hope the injured players pull up ok, that was a brutal second half. Season basically over from a finals perspective now, hope we can see some improvement in key players and develop some like Buku, West, Sweet, Bedendo and/or any others who might be better than others getting a game right now.

Nothing wrong with Williams forward as a hit-and-hope. Clearly has talent. Just in a massive rut.

As an aside, Crozier was shite when he came on and I’ve been saying he should be in the team.
Agree, nothing wrong with the move. Williams & Gardner went forward with Cordy & Buku back. At least he tried something. He should’ve tried something 15 minutes earlier though.

There is too much attention drawn to our bottom 8 or so players. How many game winners do we have. I'll give you Bont and Smith and no more. Treloar should get more opportunity. Macrae and Dunkley don't impact results unless others are playing better.

Our forwards are s**t due to our slow delivery and lack of midfield gut running Forward and back.

We lack any game changers from defense and show me a good team in the last 10 years with out that.

I disagree - too many players out , plus game day injuries. More than happy with the effort

Continuely picking feel good story players, took 2 quarters to put cordy back, the constant neglect of picking sweet, Martin was beaten by a below average ruck tonight he’s well and truely cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back