Preferred Grand Final Matchup?

Which matchup would you prefer as a neutral?

• Richmond vs Melbourne

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Richmond vs West Coast

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Collingwood vs Melbourne

Votes: 68 28.5%
  • Collingwood vs West Coast

Votes: 40 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond v Melbourne.

Chaos v Chaos, and Gawn/Oliver/Viney/Brayshaw/Harmes/Jones v Nankervis/Cotchin/Martin/Edwards/Prestia/Lambert. Would be a spectacle.

That being said, if we were to make it, I’d obviously rather play Collingwood.
Chaos v Chaos?

I also wouldn’t mind Collingwood vs Melbourne.

Traditional rivals who met in 5 Grand Finals in 9 years from 1955-1964.

Gawn and Grundy in the ruck would be the talking point as well as Collingwood winning its first September flag in 60 years and Melbourne breaking its 54 year drought.

Melbourne’s last flag was ironically against Collingwood.

If we make it through, any anti-Dees sentiment ahead of this week will drop right off. Nobody wants to see the Pies win one, and nobody likes seeing a two-for.

Yep. Melbourne won that but we'll hopefully get our revenge if the match-up occurs this year. It's been a long time coming. Some bloke called Norm Smith kicked 7 and the Melbourne team included Ron Barassi senior who would die a few months later in Tobruk.
Don't forget Checker Hughes. Won the 1932 flag with the Tigers and came across to Melbourne to win four more. I've long lost the jpeg, but there's a great old cartoon of Checker stepping from one club to the other holding a briefcase marked 'how to win flags' - has anybody seen it?

If its a Dees vs Tigers GF, the journey back through time would be amazing. If it went in our favour, I imagine even Tigers fans would have a smile watching Ron Barrassi Jnr and Neale Daniher hold the cup one last time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-24/frank-checker-hughes-war-hero-and-giant-of-two-clubs

Melbourne was the club most devastated by the war, which claimed 10 players Hughes had coached. Hughes loved them like sons.

He had particular affection for the most famous of these men, Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott, the ace fighter-pilot who was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross and Bar, before being killed in a flying accident during training off the coast of Western Australia in March 1943. Hughes lamented the death of a "skylarking kid" who usually had a "huge smile under that shock of red hair".

Just months after the Truscott tragedy, Hughes donated to the Demons the ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Cup (now medal), awarded to the club's best and fairest player.

Melbourne also honours several other premiership players who sacrificed their lives for the country.

The runner-up award recognises Sid Anderson (whom Hughes was adamant would have become "one of the greatest wingmen the Australian game has produced"); the award for third honours Ron Barassi senior (who was killed at Tobruk "because he tried to do the other blokes a turn"), and the best first-year player award pays tribute to Harold Ball ("a champion player [and] a champion kid").

In August 1945 – with the Allies close to declaring victory – Hughes stirred the emotions of his players before a big game by invoking the spirit of the fallen Demons.

"This will possibly be the last game of football you will play during the war period," Hughes said. "During the war, many of you young players have been wearing the numbers of players who have made this club famous. Some of them made the supreme sacrifice. Those players were champions because they would never admit defeat. You are playing a team above you on the premiership list. You have the ability to win. Now get out there and win!"

And win they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn’t get my post did you? Of course we’ve played at the g, however so far we’ve played 2 co tenants so effectively a neutral venue. If Melbourne win and we win it will be 3 finals with nil home ground advantage after finishing 2 games clear on top.
Please let me know when any other side has had that happen to them. Just pointing out that sometimes you get an advantage and sometimes you don’t, you don’t hear us complaining about it though unlike certain other supporters...
It's still your home ground though, with any supporter free to come along without hassle in travel or getting tickets.

There's nothing foreign about it is the point.

It's still your home ground though, with any supporter free to come along without hassle in travel or getting tickets.

There's nothing foreign about it is the point.
And nothing foreign for our opponents hence why it’s neutral.

Neutral - Not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartial.

Back