Preview Preliminary Final v Collingwood MCG Friday 21/9/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHE will run rings around Astbury. I think Grimes will go to either him or Stephenson, Rance to De Goey when he is deep. Broad to Mihocek and Astbury on Cox.

So I'm with you on these match-ups- except then who plays on the remaining forward out of WHE or Stephenson?

Whilst they don't have the most dangerous forward line, they do have a lot of layers that demand attention

No way known Grimes covers H-Elliott, that is why I prefer Astbury.
Rance is too important to cover De Goey.
We will wait to see.
The four key forwards, averaging 40 goals each, are H-Elliott, De Goey, Thomas and Stephenson, Lloyd referred to the data.
They are the bread and butter.

Last edited:

COX worries me so much.. not because of his ability, but because he got absolutely NOTHING from the umps against WC, but was given a golden shower last week.... knowing our luck, that shower will continue and you won't even be able to breathe near the bloke without giving away a free.

Nah. I think the umpires won't give him free kicks for body spoils in a final. Too soft. On TV, one of the umpires called "You have to hold your ground Mason" when he did the Ben Brown stumble looking for a push in the back free kick.

He might get a few arm chopping frees, but that's just the way it goes.

Dave P.

Wtf is with all these Collingwood people saying they have nothing to lose. It’s a ******* Prelim final!!! The stakes are the same for both clubs. Lose your out, win you have a shot at history. **** me they are a pack of stupid campaigners

Yeah- heard the same from Dees fans. If we can learn anything from Collingwood 2010/2011, Bulldogs 2016, it's that you don't know when the bottom will fall out. It's easy to assume they'll improve next year, but you just never know.

We will wait to see.
The four key forwards, averaging 40 goals each, are H-Elliott, De Goey, Thomas and Stephenson, Lloyd referred to the data.

I think Rance on De Goey is good- more so due to the multitude of threatening players they have. If they had less decent forwards it wouldn't be needed.

Rance-De Goey
Astbury- Cox
Grimes- Stephenson
Broad- WHE
Vlaustin- Mihocek

So I'm with you on these match-ups- except then who plays on the remaining forward out of WHE or Stephenson?

Whilst they don't have the most dangerous forward line, they do have a lot of layers that demand attention
I feel that Rance will rotate the deepest forward. Which will be Cox, De Goey and Stephenson traditionally.
If the scenario plays out that De Goey is deep, Rance will take him.
Astbury to Cox, Grimes to Stephenson.
Broad taking Mihocek up to the wings.
Vlas will likely take Thomas, and play off to try and intercept.
This will leave WHE roaming up to the wings where someone like McIntosh will take him. As he filters back, it will be handed off where someone like Vlas can take him in the air. It will be a mix match of matchups. But at the same time, I feel comfortable that everyone could could play on any of their forwards (Within reason)
Rance on WHE, Grimes on De Goey, Broad on Stephenson ect.

This is where the pies will win the game. The midfield battle I think will filter out to being a draw through clearances. But our battles this year have shown that collinwood take their clearances backwards by hand and turn it over... Where as we get the ball moving forward by hand and foot where we lock it in our forward line for repeat entries.

Yeah- heard the same from Dees fans. If we can learn anything from Collingwood 2010/2011, Bulldogs 2016, it's that you don't know when the bottom will fall out. It's easy to assume they'll improve next year, but you just never know.

COllingwood and melbourne will also cop much harder draws this year (melbourne less so as they finished 9th last year)

Both teams had pathetic win loss ratios against top 8 teams during the season so the arse could fall out if the reason they got to the finals was due to a soft draw

I think Rance on De Goey is good- more so due to the multitude of threatening players they have. If they had less decent forwards it wouldn't be needed.

Rance-De Goey
Astbury- Cox
Grimes- Stephenson
Broad- WHE
Vlaustin- Mihocek

I like these match ups

the one we have to be careful of because hes good at reading it off the pack is josh thomas, gets a heap of goals off the back of big packs when his man is ball watching

kicked 4 on us last game

I like these match ups

the one we have to be careful of because hes good at reading it off the pack is josh thomas, gets a heap of goals off the back of big packs when his man is ball watching

kicked 4 on us last game

Forgot about him. As I said in an earlier post- they may not have the most threatening forward line going around as far as top level talent, but they certainly have a heap of players that can pop up and score a few goals. Lucky we have so many capable defenders

We will wait to see.
Why couldn't Grimes cover WHE? Pace and overhead he would have him covered. Would also rotate to Stephenson.
Rance would not be wasted on De Goey as he is their most dangerous forward.
Astbury is too slow for any of those, hence the Cox match up...
Vlas/Short to Thomas
Broad to Mihocek and Stephenson

Wtf is with all these Collingwood people saying they have nothing to lose. It’s a ******* Prelim final!!! The stakes are the same for both clubs. Lose your out, win you have a shot at history. **** me they are a pack of stupid campaigners

I actually think a lot them didn't expect to be playing in a pre lim this year , maybe they thought they would get bottom half of the 8 and win a final and then be eliminated . Prior to season i had them making finals but didn't think they would get top 4 etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Thomas scored four goals in the previous match, we had the other players covered.
Broad to Mihocek, definitely.
Stephenson has been quiet recently.
Hoskin-Elliott and De Goey are the two key threats.

Forgot about him. As I said in an earlier post- they may not have the most threatening forward line going around as far as top level talent, but they certainly have a heap of players that can pop up and score a few goals. Lucky we have so many capable defenders

yep i rekon there forward line is very good actually.

This is where the pies will win the game. The midfield battle I think will filter out to being a draw through clearances. But our battles this year have shown that collinwood take their clearances backwards by hand and turn it over... Where as we get the ball moving forward by hand and foot where we lock it in our forward line for repeat entries.
Are you sure about that?

Best wishes to the fans attending.
Remember to boo Treloar.
Watching on television, where you can see clearly, it does affect him.
Still, Collingwood has improved markedly from last year because they have a range of midfield options.
Taylor Adams being one, 27 pressure acts versus GWS.

Because your expected to win, we are rank outsiders, eventhough with DeGoey, Treloar and Goldsack now back in the side for this game (all missing the R19 match) l thought the odds wouldn't be as one sided as they are currently. We have in that sense nothing to lose, where you guys are expected to make and win the grand final.

Last edited:
Because your expected to win, we are rank outsiders, eventhough with DeGoey, Treloar and Goldsack now back in the side for this game (all missing the R19 match) the odds wouldn't be as one sided as they are currently. We have in that sense nothing to lose, where you guys are expected to make and win the grand final.

Load of s**t.

Also love this ranting and raving about whos coming back into your side from the last time we played while completely ignoring who will be in for us compared to last time.

There is no such thing as a "free hit" in a prelim, or are you just assuming youll be back next year and the years to come?

Load of s**t.

Also love this ranting and raving about whos coming back into your side from the last time we played while completely ignoring who will be in for us compared to last time.

There is no such thing as a "free hit" in a prelim, or are you just assuming youll be back next year and the years to come?

My point exactly just because expectations differ doesn’t make it a free hit

Load of s**t.

Well Degoey and Treloar are arguably are two most dynamic and best players. Just pointing out they will make an impact for us, you would think.
After this season, l think our future is looking very good, considering players we can still bring into this side next season, who haven't or have hardly played this season.

Because your expected to win, we are rank outsiders, eventhough with DeGoey, Treloar and Goldsack now back in the side for this game (all missing the R19 match) l thought the odds wouldn't be as one sided as they are currently. We have in that sense nothing to lose, where you guys are expected to make and win the grand final.
But DeGoey and Treloar both played the R6 game and you got beaten by an even bigger margin than R19 without them.

We will have a few back since R19 too that are decent (read: Premiership) players.

Load of s**t.

Calm down buddy, sound like your ranting and raving. Maybe your a bit nervous, that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back