Autopsy R3 v Dockers @ Optus Stadium Sat 7th @ 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah chee and Lehmmens need to get their fitness right or else their season will be cut short like previous season .

Ah Chee and Lemmens provide pace and skill and pace and grit respectively
I get the feeling we need our very best 22 on the field to be competitive with mid tier and higher teams
I know he gets a lot of love from a lot of people but I'm not sure what Touk provides that 2 or 3 others in the NEAFL don't eg Barlow Lonergan

Skill and Lemmens would never of been in a sentence before.

Riska turned it over alot, especially in the 3rd qtr there. I'd give him a spell, Bowes back into the backline there.

Thought KK was ok, I wouldn't drop him.. dew "strengthening relationships" should say these are your pros, you need to work on this (1 on 1 defending) but we'll back you in. I thought we struggled kicking the ball to half forward so I would keep kk and bowes back there.

Touk Miller for me has really gone backwards, need a massive lift from him. Fiorini was sloppy I thought.

Pearce was awesome for freo but lynch was equally bad. We need more options presenting, ah chee will be a welcome back

Went to the swimming so only saw the first quarter and a bit of the second.
Have seen the highlights and read everyone’s comments.

The only comment I have is can Aaron Hall please harden up!!
How the bloody hell will the people of the Gold Coast respect our team when they watch a highlights package and see a guy cop an average bump and go down in a screaming heap like he’s been shot.

That is fair dinkum an embarrassment for every Gold Coaster.

Other than that I say let the boys learn from the loss and have another crack at it next week. I’d just bring in Bowes for Hanley and see what the same team can do next week with a full unhindered preparation in Perth.

Big bloody game too now.

Swimming was good. It’s always good to be in the beautiful little city.
Over and Out.

Went to the swimming so only saw the first quarter and a bit of the second.
Have seen the highlights and read everyone’s comments.

The only comment I have is can Aaron Hall please harden up!!
How the bloody hell will the people of the Gold Coast respect our team when they watch a highlights package and see a guy cop an average bump and go down in a screaming heap like he’s been shot.

That is fair dinkum an embarrassment for every Gold Coaster.

Other than that I say let the boys learn from the loss and have another crack at it next week. I’d just bring in Bowes for Hanley and see what the same team can do next week with a full unhindered preparation in Perth.

Big bloody game too now.

Swimming was good. It’s always good to be in the beautiful little city.
Over and Out.
Although it might seem strange, i don't think Hall saw the hit coming. A hit when you're not prepared can hurt a lot more than it looks like and he looked to be winded badly, doesn't excuse the rest of his performance though, hopefully he can bounce back because you can bet that West Coast will do similar next week.

From the ground...
biggest positives: Martin, Day, Lyons, Thompson
a little disappointing: Riska - I cant see him having too many games left at this level. Darcy Mac disposal atrocious, and team don't seem to realise he's only 5 feet tall, or is he calling for long balls down the line.
Why the F*** is he in the team: Kolodjashnij - I counted 4 times when loping out of the back half when he could have disposed of the ball, held onto it, and got tackled and either gave away a free or directly affected his disposal. Does the helmet affect his match awareness

From the ground...
biggest positives: Martin, Day, Lyons, Thompson
a little disappointing: Riska - I cant see him having too many games left at this level. Darcy Mac disposal atrocious, and team don't seem to realise he's only 5 feet tall, or is he calling for long balls down the line.
Why the F*** is he in the team: Kolodjashnij - I counted 4 times when loping out of the back half when he could have disposed of the ball, held onto it, and got tackled and either gave away a free or directly affected his disposal. Does the helmet affect his match awareness

Agree with that. Our 4 best players by a margin, with Swallow next best.

Riska a step slow although he still competes really well one-on-one. But we need more from our back flankers. As a former quality mid, surely one of his jobs has to be winning the ball (former mid) and hitting targets up the ground.

I am definitely off KK at the moment.
Playing like a passenger with a free ticket. No hurt factor in his game. A few good kicks but nothing excellent. Which is a problem since that has to be his weapon. Not enough pace to break away, not good enough in a one-on-one contest to be a defensive plus, can also be a touch slow pulling the trigger.

Yes he gets the ball on the outside and his turnovers are down a bit from last year, but that outside role in defence could be played by a few others. This game shows that we need a quality running HB that can make some difficult kicks in order to break the defence down. When they had us locked in we did not have enough quality answers to hurt them the other way. It is a hard position to find, and unfortunately I think we are still looking for one. It is a pity that Nathan Wilson is from WA and not Qld!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Ainsworth failed to kick a goal - never more than 2 games in a row.

Sunny_ I'm not sure I agree with your statement that it is difficult to play as a small forward in our team. Should be a crumbers dream - we go long to Lynch the majority of the time and Lynch rarely gets outmarked. If he doesn't grab it, the ball is coming to ground.

Ainsworth seems to get his share on leads but I can hardly remember a crumb. Needs to improve this area of his game.

Ah Chee in for young once fit
I am thinking about give Powell and Ballard a debut if they continue to impress in NEAFL and see what they got in AFL . I think both should not add too much muscle too early in their career to avoid injury to their knee or soft tissue.

I am thinking about give Powell and Ballard a debut if they continue to impress in NEAFL and see what they got in AFL . I think both should not add too much muscle too early in their career to avoid injury to their knee and hammy .

Powell a long way off could end up like jack watts of played too early

Powell a long way off could end up like jack watts of played too early
I doubt it ,he is not No 1 draft pick ,as long he run both way and tackle well in NEAFL i think he is ready .Watts got Hall type of mentality early in his career .

Good Morning All
Sadly back to reality yesterday.
Cant complain about our commitment(except Hall) but too many areas we lack in.
Our lack of top quality midfielders will be found out against sides with top end mids.
Swallow and Lyons are wonderful competitors but they need line breakers around them
to utilise there strengths.
Our defence lacks running power with no drive coming from there.
Leadership qualities dont happen overnight but right now we seem void is this area.
Lack of real class players and not many penetrating long kickers will continue to hold back
our improvement.
Positives- Jack Martin outstanding game
Jarrod Lyon and David Swallow tried their heart out.
Sam Day Marking and general play was excellent .
Rory Thompson Best defender by far ,showing some improved form.
Even though we had few good contributors stayed in the game for along time.
Better chance against Eagles whose midfield is nowhere near the class of Freo.
Negatives
Aaron Hall-Ive been a supporter of Hall because of his pace and line breaking
and his ability to turn a game,but his effort yesterday was appalling.
To let a young kid outmuscle and out psyche him is simply not good enough(he has one last chance)
Due to age and injury I fear Riska and Hanley are finished as regular Ist 18 players.

KK not the player he was , no defensive skill and lack of awareness make him a liability ( maybe try wing or forward)
Maybe alone here but really concerned where Tom Lynch is at.I know he kicked 8 goals last week but his form
over the last 12 months has been ordinary.2016 was probably the best key forward in the game with his strong
marking, positional play ,goalkicking and aggression(leadership).All these qualities seem to have disappeared.
There appears to be no emotion in his game,lack of awareness ,trying to do things that should be left to the
small forwards.Maybe captaincy doesn't suit.
Not getting any easier with all the travelling coming up.I believe we need to concentrate on rotating our young players
with the hope of finding a diamond.Next weeks another game!

Could ruin him playing to early , at 64kg he is not ready , we have played new guys in the past to early .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He is at 70kg now, anywhere i will give him a try (my opinion )if his weight can go up to 73 -75 kg after GC trip to china .
Jack martin currently weight 80 kg .

Jack currently 82 kg according to GCS.
I think that is the ideal weight for him , anymore might slow him down or affect his leap . Need to keep him when his contract end ,should be worth a lot more than weller , two first round pick is the minimum with no off field problem like Bennell.

I'm not sure our forwards are the problem really. In fact I think Dew mentioned that the forward group were working overtime to keep us in it? Powell will get games in the later half of the year probably but he doesn't solve the problem we have right now. The problem (as far as I see it) is our inability to win contested possession in the midfield. Our back six are playing probably above their level given the inside 50s we're conceding.

Barlow in helps this problem significantly and helps ease the load on guys like Swallow and Lyons, who are pretty much the only ones doing the heavy lifting right now. Both of them will break down if they don't get another mature body in there soon.

I'm not sure our forwards are the problem really. In fact I think Dew mentioned that the forward group were working overtime to keep us in it? Powell will get games in the later half of the year probably but he doesn't solve the problem we have right now. The problem (as far as I see it) is our inability to win contested possession in the midfield. Our back six are playing probably above their level given the inside 50s we're conceding.

Barlow in helps this problem significantly and helps ease the load on guys like Swallow and Lyons, who are pretty much the only ones doing the heavy lifting right now. Both of them will break down if they don't get another mature body in there soon.
I don't think Powell/Ballard is the answer , just let the kids have a taste if they continue to perform in the second (NEAFL), Fyfe was pretty skinny in his first two year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back