Rance Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't play for anyone other than Richmond.
Even if he has a year out of the game and decides to come back, he won't play for another club.
If they threaten to take him in the PSD or anywhere, he will say no, and he just has to point to today to make them realise it.
(just my opinion of course)
Richmond holds the rights to Alex Rance's contract until after the 2021 trade period.

This is the Mal Michael rule. He won't be playing for anyone else before 2022 unless there is a trade.

He said he was torn on committing to football, not Richmond, when he signed the big deal before, so this isn't exactly a massive surprise.

Shame to think I saw him play last while sitting on a couch at Crown, too drunk and didn't expect that to be the last time.

Richmond will be ok.

Just saw the news, while it is always sad to see great players retire before their time I wish him all the best for the future and respect the fact that football is not the most important thing in his life.

Fantastic player in full flight and a real shame injury cut him down last season.

Big loss for Richmond and football in general. Great player and seems like a genuinely good bloke.

Thanks Rancey, you will always be a champion of the yellow & Black.

2 points.

1. Timing a bit out. If he retired a month ago, we could have drafted another kid, but hey we will have the chance to pick up another Syd Stack or Marl Pickett. I am tipping our recruiters are already discussing this.

2. Our salary cap issues have now disappeared. Gotta be 700K going off the books. Hopefully Rance isn't expecting a huge payout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh well. Fair enough - it's his life.
One of the most interesting players we've ever had at Richmond. Went from being a ridiclously brave, but clumsy kid prone to mental errors to a club legend (still prone to the occasional mental error:cool:). And then retires early.

I told you all we should have traded him this last draft period.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...s-rumours-2019.1216210/page-261#post-63127917

Thanks Rancey, you will always be a champion of the yellow & Black.

2 points.

1. Timing a bit out. If he retired a month ago, we could have drafted another kid, but hey we will have the chance to pick up another Syd Stack or Marl Pickett. I am tipping our recruiters are already discussing this.

2. Our salary cap issues have now disappeared. Gotta be 700K going off the books. Hopefully Rance isn't expecting a huge payout.
I think in hindsight it’s now clear that Richmond were happy to completely fill their list at the draft because they knew Rance was 50/50 at best. I’m sure the club was not taken by surprise.

Me this morning:

Ok, I'm going to be selfish here because obvious Alex Rance can't, does that make him a better man then me? of course it does, he's Alex ******* Rance but what the actual * !!!

Round 1 2019 .. I was as flat and gutted as I am right now, Rance was supposed to be the cherry on the top of the cream going into 2020, I know we have a great club and so much to look forward too but Rance gave me that extra hunger that these boys will go back2back which we still might but damn it.

The timing, a week before Christmas, come on big fella what's the deal with that? 2019 would have been tough on him no doubt and it makes perfect sense now why he desperately wanted to get back for finals if he was having doubts all year but why now? Why didn't he do it after we had just won the flag? Not to mention get the hopes up for players like Dylan Grimes who was buzzing the past few weeks watching the big guy train, how deflated would Dylan be right now?

FFS I'm shattered just like everyone else but geez what a smack in the guts this morning, also Benny Gale mate loved your kind words this morning but I cant swallow the bit about the club has been in constant talks with Rance and his management, I call BS on that one dude considering he informed the club yesterday and the team today. Dimma would be beside himself this morning, hopefully Mrs Hardwick has dinner ready on time when he gets home tonight.

Anyway I'm just gutted that I will never see one of our greatest players ever, play for us again and doubly disappointed that we as Tiger supporters will never get to see Alex troll oppo fans like this again:

1576721052844.png

Last edited:
Is anyone else baffled and outraged by the response of the AFL community in general? Geelong and Collingwood supporters in particular are over the moon saying that their ‘Christmas has come early’ that rance would be a dud in any other era and that he was a diving cheat. I’d love to know what player hasn’t gone to ground easier than they should have, at least once in their career. These miserable fools make my hatred for their clubs grow stronger with every passing day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back