Preview Rd 1 Geelong V Collingwood Fri March 17 2023 740 pm @ MCG

Predicted winner & margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dwayne Russell just said on SEN that Chris Scott has just said at his presser that Hawkins will play against Collingwood.

Ollie will be in for a tough night if he plays.

I saw one of the Pie's players talking about how they'll want to 'put him off his game' should he play, so I've no doubt they'll go hard at him.

Cameron did say our boys would get around him, so it seems they're anticipating some physicality too.
That's perfect, let them. I'd love it if we leant into it and told him to go out there and antagonise the pies defense as much as possible. If they get all pi$$ed off and too focussed on trying to line Ollie up I can see Jezza/Stengel/Rohan etc kicking bags

Mail was pretty good on Hawkins and Duncan so I'll thank the secret sauce.

They've been saying a "calf" for a few weeks with Bowes so no surprises to see him held back. Still think Holmes is the question mark based on what I'd heard ...... guess we'll find out when teams are named.

Great to see Henry and Bruhn play. Henry doesn't strike me as the type who'll deal well with some added physical pressure but that's just a personal observation. Interesting to see what it looks like with both he and Rohan in the same side.

If Jezza's partner can hold off on the contractions on game day then we're going in looking ok on paper.

My gut feel is we drop this game.. and that's OK.
Cats are way too short in the betting markets I think. Even money bet this game in my opinion.

If Hawkins and Cameron both play I think we're arguably better on paper with J Henry out / but balanced by Bruhn and O Henry in. Pies seem to be pretty well placed to start the year well if you believe the media yabber. That said, I'm not sure their 2 pre season matches against Carlton or Hawthorn really set the world on fire.

Others have already said it but:

GEELONG star Tom Hawkins has been given the green light to return in Friday night's blockbuster season-opener against Collingwood at the MCG, but dual premiership midfielder Mitch Duncan and off-season signing Jack Bowes have been ruled out.

Hawkins has been racing the clock to be fit after undergoing surgery on his foot in October to repair a problem he carried across the second half of a season where he was named All-Australian for the fifth time.

Duncan is set to miss the first few rounds of the season due to the calf strain that has hampered his pre-season program and led him to spend time in South Australia in a bid to get right for the season.

Bowes will also have to wait at least another week before making his first appearance in the hoops since crossing from Gold Coast during the trade period, due to a minor calf niggle.

The Cats' two other trade period acquisitions – Ollie Henry and Tanner Bruhn – will both be named in Chris Scott's 22 to face the Magpies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Bews, DeKoning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Ratagolea, Tuohy
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Blicavs
HF: Close, Cameron, O.Henry
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Bruhn

Int: Atkins, Holmes, Miers, O’Connor

Sub: Parfitt
That is a damn good team.

Was trying to find a way to put Holmes and Atkins on ground but damn it is hard.

I love the smell of napalm melts in the morning. The season’s first!

For the tray:

B: Tuohy De Koning Bews
HB: Stewart Ratugolea Z.Guthrie
C: Smith Bruhn Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Close
F: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
Int: Atkins Parfitt O’Connor O.Henry S.Simpson (sub)
Almost the same as mine.

I had Bowes in and Parf sub.

Either way looks like a good team

What's the V/Line service to the G looking like for Friday?
interupted, buses breaking down and the Highway will have 14 random accidents bw 1400 and 1900

Its just the way it goes right?

ps - I hope its free and clear sailing for everyone as its a sell out and we want every Blue and White hoop we can get there asap.

GO Catters

For anyone who is gunna take the train up, I cannot stress this enough, check the website, atleast for coming home.
There will be plenty of specials (sounds like 3 more services and bumping everything else to 6 cars (WHICH THEY ALWAYS SHOULD BE ANYWAY!) and so often they've left 1/3rd full or less while everyone goes to the normal timetabled train.
Or hang around the city for a few 17th in a row victory frothies.

Feeling much more confident than i did this time yesterday. Feeling like we're a much better shot now.

And for all the talk of premierships not being won in March. They are still 4 points against a club that may also be top 4 contending again. So it's still the proverbial 8 point game.

B: Bews, DeKoning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Ratagolea, Tuohy
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Blicavs
HF: Close, Cameron, O.Henry
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Bruhn

Int: Atkins, Holmes, Miers, O’Connor

Sub: Parfitt

That is a strong team!
The addition of Esava on presented pre-season form is transformative. Both he and SDK are solid pack marks. Then we have J. Henry and Kolo to fit back in!
As well as squeezing in Duncan and Bowes (plate when fit for sure!).
And a plethora of young talent we would be glad to put games into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a strong team!
The addition of Esava on presented pre-season form is transformative. Both he and SDK are solid pack marks. Then we have J. Henry and Kolo to fit back in!
As well as squeezing in Duncan and Bowes (plate when fit for sure!).
And a plethora of young talent we would be glad to put games into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Players don’t want to have too many bad games in a row…we have a a lot of players who can fill holes - indeed some of them are best 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back