List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want 4 year contracts for draftees? So what happens when the club wants to delist or trade a player after 2 years?

You can't trade players against their own will, so a team would need to either hang on to a player they don't want, or pay out multiple years of a contract (which is included in the salary cap). Think about how many draftees don't last 4 years on the system. Clubs would not want that.
I think that's fine. In fact I reckon that players should have to sign for 6 years. Then they can become RFA and followed by FA. During the first six years if a player wants out and both parties agree then so be it. The club should have the right to negotiate the best possible deal and the players has to accept it. Non of this falling back to the PSD stuff. If the club wants to move a player on during the first 6 years thats OK if the player agrees. If he doesn't then the club is stuck with him. So both sides have to take some chances but it stops this crap about a player dictating terms after on a few years. I am a believer in having to earn the right to start telling the club what to do.

I must admit that this is a simplification of how to change the system but there has to be something like this introduced.

Just did a little more research to help back the point up for you.
Cam McCarthy, Caleb Merchbank, James Aish, Paul Ahern, Tom Scully, Jarrod Pickett, Nathan Freeman, Phil Davis to name a few more
Tom Scully and Phil Davis were GWS pre-selections. They are completely different to trades as their clubs had no say in the process and could not block GWS from taking them.

James Aish and Cam McCarthy I'll give you, but McCarthy was that homesick he elected to sit out of AFL for a year and not get paid. Given how Aish has played for Collingwood, Brisbane probably won that trade.

As for the others, you're presuming those players were the ones pushing to leave. For example, this article states that Ahern and Pickett were put up for trade by GWS to give themselves some cap space - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-17/gws-midfielder-paul-ahern-traded-to-north-melbourne

I think that's fine. In fact I reckon that players should have to sign for 6 years. Then they can become RFA and followed by FA. During the first six years if a player wants out and both parties agree then so be it. The club should have the right to negotiate the best possible deal and the players has to accept it. Non of this falling back to the PSD stuff. If the club wants to move a player on during the first 6 years thats OK if the player agrees. If he doesn't then the club is stuck with him. So both sides have to take some chances but it stops this crap about a player dictating terms after on a few years. I am a believer in having to earn the right to start telling the club what to do.

I must admit that this is a simplification of how to change the system but there has to be something like this introduced.
So what happens if a player is a dud? The club has to pay him 4-5 years salary for nothing. How is that viable for clubs in the long term?

It's a pointless discussion anyway as there is no way that the Player's Association would agree to something like that.

So what happens if a player is a dud? The club has to pay him 4-5 years salary for nothing. How is that viable for clubs in the long term?

It's a pointless discussion anyway as there is no way that the Player's Association would agree to something like that.
Who's the head of the Player's Association? Someone needs to Jimmy Hoffa this thing.

Easy option is to make it like the NBA. First two years are guaranteed, 3rd and 4th are team options.

And the trade-off to appease the ALFPA is that they become RFA's at the end of the 4th year.

Who's the head of the Player's Association? Someone needs to Jimmy Hoffa this thing.
The head of the Player's Association can't just decide that sort of thing on behalf of them. The players would all get to vote on it, just like any collective bargaining agreement.

Easy option is to make it like the NBA. First two years are guaranteed, 3rd and 4th are team options.

And the trade-off to appease the ALFPA is that they become RFA's at the end of the 4th year.
That could be possible, but then the posters here would just complain about players leaving their club after only 4 years.

Most ruckmen, for example, play bugger all in their first 4 seasons.

I like the idea of a 2 year option especially for players drafted in the first 2 rounds. Trade off can be a higher minimum pay those 2/4 years.

Too early to say Greenwood is taking over from Dangerfield?

Definitely is.

Mind you, I'd be inclined to say Sloane stepped up. Felt like he has just genuinely become a better footballer in the absence of Dangerfield.

They will which is why it is becoming more and more important when drafting and conducting interviews to realise what you are getting yourself in for with certain players

If we traded hard it wouldn't matter as if players left we would get worth for them but unfortunately we don't and in Levers case he cost us a first rounder we have spent 3 years in development and let's be honest some good and bad games so if we broke even it's a crap result

Two ways to look at it trade harder, or pick better

Look at the reason why we are losing them

Danger and Gunston left to go back to Vic if Lever and Gov leave it will be to go home

With that reason alone surely it puts us in the box seat as we can force them into the draft so trade harder

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both players will eventually nominate the team who is offering the most dollars which is as guaranteed as the sun will set later today, and rise tomorrow. It's also damn stupid to send valuable assets into the draft seeing even a break even collateral can still be used to improve a clubs position.

There is no situation in this sport that the seller is in the box seat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both players will eventually nominate the team who is offering the most dollars which is as guaranteed as the sun will set later today, and rise tomorrow. It's also damn stupid to send valuable assets into the draft seeing even a break even collateral can still be used to improve a clubs position.

There is no situation in this sport that the seller is in the box seat.

If bulldogs or Collingwood are offering Gov the most $$$ do you think he will end up in Victoria?

It if Brisbane are offering the most do you think lever will end up in QLD?

If bulldogs or Collingwood are offering Gov the most $$$ do you think he will end up in Victoria?

It if Brisbane are offering the most do you think lever will end up in QLD?

Gov probably a greater chance of him ending up in Victoria then we're giving credit for.

Lever nope.

Ok, should I rephrase seeing you're going to be technical, club their interested in offering the most money.

I guess the question could be asked "what happens if the player is elite and wants to leave". I agree that its a tough question but if we don't continue to strive to find an answer it will continue to be pointless.

What?

Jared Polec said he only wanted to go to Port, and Brisbane got screwed on the deal because of it.

We hung around for a while hoping it would all fall apart but that was never going to happen.

He came back to Adelaide and told both clubs to sort it out. He wanted Brisbane to get the best deal and he also held meetings with both Kern and Sando. In the end PA secured his services because they offered a better trade to the Lions and they also offered more money. Polec wasn't really impressed by Sando.
The point is he DID NOT have a preference for either team when he decided to return to Adelaide. Personally I'm glad we missed out.

Any updates on your so called rumours that are perhaps giving you confidence the club won't fold ???

What would it matter if I have updates, rumours are rumours & fact is fact

It is likely plenty of people on here have heard rumours but zero have heard fact

I've heard rumours big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back