"Reputations are made in September"

Remove this Banner Ad

Spare me.
Well, you can keep on your merry negative ways... Only a win in the grand final will make you happy... and as 17 teams every year can contest... it's a bloody hard job just to MAKE it to a grand final, let alone win one. I'm deeply disappointed by our game yesterday... but I refuse to write the season off because they fell at the final step. They worked bloody hard to get there... and deserved to be there. There were many positive things to come from this season. And there are things that definitely need to be worked on. The way we go about things (you and I) are completely different. I have actually enjoyed the wins we've had this year. Where as you an others of your ilk have bitched and moaned constantly. Why you even bother watching us at all is beyond me, because apparently, we are ******* hopeless and you don't seem to enjoy any part of it. Well, yesterday, I would agree (about us being hopeless on the day).... but we had to have been doing something right to get there in the first place. Even the best teams in the last decade have lost grand finals. It happens. Did we blow the best chance we've had? Absolutely. But it isn't the end of the world - or our footy club and it won't be the last time we make a grand final. You have to learn to take the good with the bad. It can't possibly be all rainbows and lollipops, just as it can't possibly be all crap.

Well, you can keep on your merry negative ways... Only a win in the grand final will make you happy... and as 17 teams every year can contest... it's a bloody hard job just to MAKE it to a grand final, let alone win one. I'm deeply disappointed by our game yesterday... but I refuse to write the season off because they fell at the final step. They worked bloody hard to get there... and deserved to be there. There were many positive things to come from this season. And there are things that definitely need to be worked on. The way we go about things (you and I) are completely different. I have actually enjoyed the wins we've had this year. Where as you an others of your ilk have bitched and moaned constantly. Why you even bother watching us at all is beyond me, because apparently, we are ******* hopeless and you don't seem to enjoy any part of it. Well, yesterday, I would agree (about us being hopeless on the day).... but we had to have been doing something right to get there in the first place. Even the best teams in the last decade have lost grand finals. It happens. Did we blow the best chance we've had? Absolutely. But it isn't the end of the world - or our footy club and it won't be the last time we make a grand final. You have to learn to take the good with the bad. It can't possibly be all rainbows and lollipops, just as it can't possibly be all crap.

everyone has a different approach to following footy.

some just want the flag that bad.. THAT bad.. that they wont rest or be happy until they have it. theres only 1 prize in footy.

I'm desperate for a flag but I could've shared a small portion of Jenny's sentiment if they played their hearts, competed for 4 quarters yet just loss (ala WC 05, Sydney 06).

Fact is they didn't.

On the most important day in our clubs history since 1998 the deadset crapped themselves, multiple players didn't give their all for the club but chose soft options, and they squandered a premiership without a yelp after quarter time.

I cannot be proud of that despite many fine games during the year, highlighted by the Prelim.

I'm desperate for a flag but I could've shared a small portion of Jenny's sentiment if they played their hearts, competed for 4 quarters yet just loss (ala WC 05, Sydney 06).

Fact is they didn't.

On the most important day in our clubs history since 1998 the deadset crapped themselves, multiple players didn't give their all for the club but chose soft options, and they squandered a premiership without a yelp after quarter time.

I cannot be proud of that despite many fine games during the year, highlighted by the Prelim.
Oh I'm definitely not proud of how they played yesterday!

There will be at least 11 Crows players, including all of the forwards, who will carry the tag of choker on the biggest stage. Unless they can redeem themselves.

There will be at least 11 Crows players, including all of the forwards, who will carry the tag of choker on the biggest stage. Unless they can redeem themselves.
Yep. That includes Betts which is pretty sad for the guy given everything he has done for the Crows.

Walker is the biggest one, how many captains have gone completely missing in the biggest game of the year?

Yep. That includes Betts which is pretty sad for the guy given everything he has done for the Crows.

Walker is the biggest one, how many captains have gone completely missing in the biggest game of the year?

The last one - Tredrea - 2007

Well at the very least we got past the Prelim. I know we didn't do much in the granny but the fact we didn't make it 5 straight prelim losses is cause to say we have gone forward

maybe. might also have to do with the fact that we fell over against the same type of team last year, as this year, only this year we avoided them til last.

if we played sydney or richmond in a qualifying or prelim do we still make it that far?

I like that we won the games we did but I do wonder if we avoided our bogey type teams til the end through luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe. might also have to do with the fact that we fell over against the same type of team last year, as this year, only this year we avoided them til last.

if we played sydney or richmond in a qualifying or prelim do we still make it that far?

I like that we won the games we did but I do wonder if we avoided our bogey type teams til the end through luck.
What are you talking about? One of our biggest bogey team is Geelong and we thrashed them in the Prelim!
September games also include games in QF, SF and PF. We've ticked some good boxes. Need a few more boxes to tick still!

Already had a flag too

Barry Hall played a shocker in one didnt he?

I'm actually starting to calm down to be honest and I'm pissed off with the system more so than the AFC players. How the hell can Richmond play all of their finals games at home. Imagine if Collingwood and Carlton finished 1st and 2nd and us 3rd yet we played all of our finals, inlcuding the GF, at the adelaide oval. Imagine the outrage, Eddies head would explode. That's insane.

We looked feeble on Saturday when we played Richmond on their home deck just as they looked feeble when they played us on ours earlier in the year.

The system is broken.

I fail to see how any player gets a pass mark, they were a collective bag of poo.

And yet again we failed to deal with a team that placed numbers behind the ball and again we resorted to kicking to 2-1 contests.

We've learnt jack from previous loses to this type of plan from the opposition.

Dont kid yourselves, other than the first 10 minutes of the first it was a choke of the highest order....players and coaches.

Richmond at home probably. Sydney at home maybe not. Either team away is a likely loss. There's nothing from our season to suggest otherwise.

The draw didn't give us many tests away from AO. It was the same s**t at skilled though, fairly unimpressive wins in Melbourne. The Tassie debacle. Perth loss albeit in a dead rubber.

We performed at a high level at home and broke a couple of finals hoodoos. Far from convinced we could take that form anywhere.

I still think had we faced Richmond at AO in the QF they would not have made the big dance.

But you are right - we have a huge weakness and Pyke et al have 12 months to fix it. If they persist with our entertaining attack next year they need to have a plan for when a team like Melb, Richmond play ugly to get the game on their terms.

Sydney I'm reserved about. We did enough verse them to show we can get them. We'll see how they line up next year.

I think our coaches need to get added to the list that failed to stand up.

Our forward line looks brilliant when it's open space, but when it's clogged up we consistently fail. We played with the tallest forward line of any top 8 side in the grand final and could not take a contested mark to save ourselves.

Meanwhile Richmond had the smallest and took plenty of marks in their forward 50.

No point being tall if you don't use it to your advantage.

We simply don't have a plan B for when our free flowing game plan is stifled, we just hope the opposition can't keep it up and we can break out into open space as the game wears on.

All my doubts about our coaching staff, that I'd put aside, have now come flooding back. We knew that Richmond was going to try and bring the game down to their level and we let them.

Old instructor once said to me and others, Reputations don't win wars, they may get you one or two battles if you're lucky but that about all they get you.

Too me it the same in football.
Reputations made in Sept don't mean s**t in March, April, May, June July and August. Because you need to play well in those months to get to Sept.
But I suppose to the average punter you are only as good as your last run.
But my favourite response to Reputations are made in Sept is
"One swallow does not a summer make nor one fine day"; by Aristotle.

But then I don't throw the baby out with the bath water either.

Richmond at home probably. Sydney at home maybe not. Either team away is a likely loss. There's nothing from our season to suggest otherwise.

The draw didn't give us many tests away from AO. It was the same s**t at skilled though, fairly unimpressive wins in Melbourne. The Tassie debacle. Perth loss albeit in a dead rubber.

We performed at a high level at home and broke a couple of finals hoodoos. Far from convinced we could take that form anywhere.
Correct but in the end we did enough to finish 1st at the end of the minor round.

We were also undefeated in finals until the GF.

There is no decent reason in a fair competition that we then had to play an away game against a lower team to decide who gets all the glory and who gets the shame (and it was shameful) forever more.

Correct but in the end we did enough to finish 1st at the end of the minor round.

We were also undefeated in finals until the GF.

There is no decent reason in a fair competition that we then had to play an away game against a lower team to decide who gets all the glory and who gets the shame (and it was shameful) forever more.
Yeah but that's how it is and always has been. We need to be better so it doesn't matter.

I understand this pragmatic, defeatist approach but it's unjust.

We should be bleating about this from now until it changes, even if it takes 20 years.
The GF is played at the G. It's contracted there till 2037.

Our away form was ordinary. We stopped playing after quarter time in the GF. There's a ton of inequality in the AFL and I'm all for trying to even things up.

Complaining after a shitful performance isn't the best time to do it, just looks soft.

The GF is played at the G. It's contracted there till 2037.

Our away form was ordinary. We stopped playing after quarter time in the GF. There's a ton of inequality in the AFL and I'm all for trying to even things up.

Complaining after a shitful performance isn't the best time to do it, just looks soft.
Facts are facts, it's inequitable.

The last 4 years has seen the same pattern, not just this year.

How's Richmond's away form? Not great at AO!

You can even up the comp all you want but the only really important thing is the premiership cup and this particular injustice is probably the greatest in the league in the context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back