Richmond - salary cap squeeze - Poach a Tiger?

Remove this Banner Ad

We're rumoured to be interested in Sam Lloyd as a cheap Dickson type replacement.
Lloyd is probably the one I’d be saddest to see go. Outside our best 22 when we are fully fit but has a great attitude - goes hard - keep improving - and does not look out of place when he gets a run. If it’s a choice I’d much prefer to lose Miles and keep Lloyd.

If Richmond get Lynch it reminds me of Fev to Bris. They didn't have a need for him, it pushed out Bradshaw and one other I forget. End result was the team was worse.
It's not like Riewoldt is coming towards the end and rest of tall forwards are developing.

Last edited:
Has strung some good games together at VFL level from reports but from what we’ve seen at AFL level this year he’ll probably be delisted and struggle to find a new home at AFL level.
I'd have a punt on him as a DFA or late in the draft if he isn't a the Tigers next year.

Would've liked Short at the Dees but he signed on last week or so. Other than that the bottom 4/6 clubs would be interested in the Miles, Lloyd, Houli types.

Lot of decent players available. But only decent.

The ones that could be quite good AFL players are probably Bolton and Stengle. Corey Ellis has skills, but isn't quick or strong. He has the ability to be good as well, but probably riskier than the other 2.

Apart from that it's role players. And there is nothing wrong with picking up a few role payers.

People have to realise that we are losing Griffiths and Hampson already (both being paid as AFL players, not VFL kids). So that's 2 spots and good money without doing anything. Then Drummond is probably gone - can't stay fit. Miles and Lloyd could easily get gigs at other clubs. Not hard for the Tigers to lose 5 players and have no real impact on the list. + free up enough to get around Lynch's wages. You might see very little change in the RFC list come end 2018.

After that come harder choices. And if other guys want to go I reckon the club will facilitate it, for a reasonable price.

But come 2019 we won't have 2 AFL 'quality' players retiring. So some hard decisions will have to be taken then.

I'd be interested in Shai Bolton and Connor Menadue, wouldn't be giving up too much for them though, a swap of later picks.
Bolton could be anything and nothing at the same time, has had a few chances but hasn’t been able to translate good reserves form into the seniors. Be surprised if he gets another look at seniors this year.
Menedue has also shown promise however was very poor last weekend in his first game back for quite a while. Both would be gettable no doubt but wouldn’t cause us great concern if they did leave.

Bolton could be anything and nothing at the same time, has had a few chances but hasn’t been able to translate good reserves form into the seniors. Be surprised if he gets another look at seniors this year.
Menedue has also shown promise however was very poor last weekend in his first game back for quite a while. Both would be gettable no doubt but wouldn’t cause us great concern if they did leave.
He wasnt very poor. He had some dodgy moments but had a lot of ckntested possessions. He's still getting experience and I want to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasnt very poor. He had some dodgy moments but had a lot of ckntested possessions. He's still getting experience and I want to keep him.
Would have to watch the game again as I can only remember his costly turnovers. I do understand he’s still young I just thought he would have produced more by now.

Reckon very few are going to be squeezed out salary wise. Not many demanding a major pay rise there.

Bolton, Miles, Lloyd the main 3 I`d expect to leave. Bolton for an early 3rd, Miles and Lloyd as DFA`s/goodwill trades.

Drummond could find himself cut from a list that has a chance to be a bit ruthless, but think he`d find a home elsewhere as a project rookie perhaps and given time to rehab.

Conca would be the other one that`d ask for a pay rise but not sure many clubs would bite?

How is Ivan Soldo tracking? I wonder if he will get frustrated being second choice behind Nankervis who is still young himself and very durable.

From Carlton’s perspective, I think Kreuzer is nearly cooked and Lobbe and Phillips are depth ruckmen only. We drafted De Koning last year but he seems to be more of a forward, we should be in the market for a young ruckman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lot of decent players available. But only decent.

The ones that could be quite good AFL players are probably Bolton and Stengle. Corey Ellis has skills, but isn't quick or strong. He has the ability to be good as well, but probably riskier than the other 2.

Apart from that it's role players. And there is nothing wrong with picking up a few role payers.

Thats what people need to realise. A role player is just as valuable as a gun. Seems like the Tigers have a handful of guys who could fill holes in systems at various football clubs.

Thats what people need to realise. A role player is just as valuable as a gun. Seems like the Tigers have a handful of guys who could fill holes in systems at various football clubs.

Not as valuable. But worth getting if they are available. I reckon Miles and/or Lloyd would add a lot to GC or Blues right now. In fact the Dons might like a Miles to help out their midfield. When you can't fit these types in then you look for a star to push you over the top. Otherwise a solid B grader is well worth the trade.

Nothing there is frightening from a loss point of view,

Bolton - Freo bound
Stengle - would love to keep, would play at several clubs IMO and will look to move for more opportunity
CEllis - token trade
Moore - would love to keep, would play at several clubs IMO and will look to move for more opportunity
Menadue - will sign IMO, was always a long term player
Lloyd - would love to keep for depth but will move and get senior games elsewhere although could be the finals suprise packet after last weeks game
Miles - token trade
Townsend - token trade
Houli and Grigg - sign on unless offered Mitchell type contracts elsewhere and then token trades

The rest - MEH

Have always thought Lloyd is a reasonable footballer.

Would be happy enough to bring him to Carlton for a very late pick.

Would be a token trade at this stage and all it would take is a 2 year deal on just over minimum coin. IMO

Richmond are about to make out like bandits at the trade table by trading their depth as some kind of treasure.

Hawthorn did this as well with a number of players.

Teams fall for it everytime.

Oh, he is depth at Richmond and can't get a game, but he must be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back