Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickens me the way we play up our chances because of their injuries - please - bring your best tiges - gotta beat the best to progress
Normally I'd agree, but I know where we are heading and would rather just have the satisfaction of beating them in round one...

nasal-spray-as-an-alternative-method-of-erectile-dysfunction-treatment-3.jpg

Why are a lot of posters thinking we will not only lose but get thrashed?Granted the tigers at this stage are a better side but they will be missing Houli,Prestia and Rioli and yes we’ve lost Gibbs/Docherty but we can’t use that excuse all year.Little more positivity wouldn’t go astray.

I don’t think it’s an excuse B28, just that we’re probably not ready to go up against the benchmark team whose game style knocked off the very best last year and convincingly win.

First things first - we need to consistently win against the bottom 6 sides in the same season to show progress.

Why are a lot of posters thinking we will not only lose but get thrashed?Granted the tigers at this stage are a better side but they will be missing Houli,Prestia and Rioli and yes we’ve lost Gibbs/Docherty but we can’t use that excuse all year.Little more positivity wouldn’t go astray.

They are good enough to run and gun for 4 quarters they will just grind away until the younger kids in our team just run out of legs - simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put a bit of thought into this team, think it's probably a bit different to my last theorised team for round 1:

FB: Weitering Jones Plowman
HB: O'Shea Marchbank Byrne
C: E Curnow Murphy Kerridge
HF: J Silvagni C Curnow SPS
FF: Lamb Casboult Fisher
R: Kreuzer Kennedy Cripps
I/C: Thomas Simpson Dow Pickett

The ones missing out:
Mullet: Think he's a better option than many are suggesting and probably closer to selection than we realise. He got better across both JLT games and showed a bit against the Hawks. Uses the ball fairly well but don't think he's defensively minded enough to force his way into the side yet.
Garlett: Pressure was brilliant in patches, I think he needs time in the twos, especially after sitting out JLT 2.
Williamson: Can't pick him with that hot spot. Would prefer to give him extra time and maybe a trial game in the twos first.
Cuningham: By all reports was fit and ready to go for both JLT games and struggled to work his way into them. I'd like to see him go to the VFL and rip a game open before he gets back into the seniors.
Mckay: Similar to Cuningham, rip a game open... please... I think we have the midfield cattle in the twos to get this bean pole some good supply so send him back and tell him to rip open a game.
Wright: Unlucky, out on team balance and that his game against the Hawks was bad. He crumbled under pressure. With players like Thomas, Kennedy and Cripps spending more time resting forward Matty Wright was involved in the midfield rotations and attended a few stoppages, he got his hands on the ball but was woeful with it. Not sure he fits the new game plan. I think Lamb provides better pressure and just edges him out for that stay at home small forward role and Jack Silvagni gets the nod as a third tall instead of just Charlie, Levi and smalls.

I think the tall backline has to happen. What we lose in direct match up is far out weighed by the fact that those players are just far better than any other option we have. Our back line is a strength and should be seen that way. I think the key for the back six is communication as Richmond try to create mismatches and drag the defenders out of position, we need to be able to roll off and help each other in the zone defence scheme. A few too many times last year and again in the JLT where an opposing small runs straight through the zone and no one picks him up.

Completely backing Kreuzer to dominate in the ruck and with his follow up work, however I'm a little worried about Richmond getting fast ball into the forward line. A zone schemes worst enemy is not size mis matches its fast entries. We will match up well with their forward line if we can slow down their entries. That means stopping their rebounding half backs running off the edge of the square at centre bounces and getting first hands on the ball. Massive game for Cripps and Kennedy first up as they need to beat Dusty, Cotchin and Grigg to the ball.

Up there end I think we need to see Charlie engage Rance and drag him out of our F50. Isolate Astbury and Levi. We've seen Silvagni do a great job occupying that third tall/ intercept defender quite a few times (most recently Burton in JLT 2) so if he can occupy Grimes we can exploit the rest of their defence.

We don't win trying to match them, the only way we win is if we play our game.

Won't be a low scoring affair, Richmond 101-88 Carlton

I've got 7 probable changes between then and next week which is a reasonable amount:

Rowe > Jones
Macreadie > Byrne
Docherty > Dow
Gibbs > Kennedy
Armfield > Fisher
Smedts > Garlett(/Lang)
White > Cuningham(/Williamson)

There's an argument to be made that the sum of our outs (at rd 1 2017) is less than the sum of our ins (at this point in time). On top of that there's a healthy increase in experience and another preseason for the younger guys who were there in rd 1 (Plow, Weit, March, Pickett, Jack, Cripps, SPS, Charlie) not to mention that Jones, Casboult and Daisy appear to be doing a bit better than this time last year.

There was a 43 point margin rd 1 last year which was reduced to 26 points in rd 14 so the trend would suggest a 9 point loss (if you can make anything of that). Who knows, maybe we'll really push them hard this time, maybe we can somehow sneak a win....

Let's go Disco!!!

Hope you're right!!!

Last edited:

I'm positive we'll get done.:):)
How's that.?

I see richmond as at least a 2 goal a quarter better team than us. So anything under 48 points and we have done well. Im just being realistic. Think it will be 10 goals minimum unfortunately. Zero injuries please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back