Preview Round 1, 2021: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st March, 3:20PM AEDT *HIGHMORE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 67.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to play our best team each week, and that team includes Jake Carlisle. We would have beaten Melbourne late last year with him in the team, and going into the West Coast game without him was effectively giving up on winning the game.
Ratten needs to swallow his pride and select Carlisle if he’s fit.
To me if he doesn't get picked it means he is not 100%, he basically has had no game time and who knows if he played in the VFL last Sunday because our club hasn't even given us a update on who played and how they went.

Training today .

Jones trained fully did everything including match simulation moved well.

Interesting news was that Allison has put 6-7 kilos ...Mckernan was in good touch today thought
they may go Hunter .....maybe not.

Pretty unsure which way they go...Highmore or Carlisle.

More I see Crouch the better shape he is getting in by the way.
Hannebery did weight session, but clear the mission is few rounds in...

Frawley back running which is interesting given prognosis 10 weeks.. anyway over and out.

Good news re Jones, Crouch and McKernan.
Allison... really?? That's insane.

How the hell is Frawley running already? Is that normal for a reasonabl severe hammy?

So what's the team now? Not ideal given the tough run to start the season. Some genuine 50-50 games in there now.

Long - Howard - Wilkie
Coffield - Carlisle? - Sinclair
Billings - Steele - Hill
Higgins - Membrey - Gresham
Butler - King - Lonie
Hunter - Clark - Ross
McKernan - Geary - Hannebery? - Jones?

Obviously the most important thing is for Paddy to take care of himself and get back to a healthy place mentally.

Whilst i hate to lose and i he is an important part of the side i take alot of stock in being a club that promotes the people first mentality.

Very proud of the club right now and speedy recovery Paddy.

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Sinclair
C: Billings, Clark, Hill
HF: Higgins, Battle, Lonie
F: Membrey, King, Butler
R: Hunter, Gresham, Steele
Int: Ross, McKernan, Long, Highmore/Bytel

Feel as though I am forgetting someone however massive responsibility on Hunter to shoulder the ruck for the first few rounds, hopefully has a good first hit out to build some confidence prior to facing Gawn in round 2.

Exciting to see what Clark can do as a full time mid whilst Crouch is out, along with Gresh they should add another dynamic to our on ball unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder out hurts but if he needs to get away for a bit for his own wellbeing, then that's what's most important.
We've seen hunter and McKernan can chip in and hold their own. Hunter was quoted as saying that he saw a ruck spot in our team as 'gettable', well now's his chance to prove himself right.

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Sinclair
C: Billings, Clark, Hill
HF: Higgins, Battle, Lonie
F: Membrey, King, Butler
R: Hunter, Gresham, Steele
Int: Ross, McKernan, Long, Highmore/Bytel

Feel as though I am forgetting someone however massive responsibility on Hunter to shoulder the ruck for the first few rounds, hopefully has a good first hit out to build some confidence prior to facing Gawn in round 2.

Exciting to see what Clark can do as a full time mid whilst Crouch is out, along with Gresh they should add another dynamic to our on ball unit.
Hopefully jones comes good by round 1.

Bad news after bad news..Ryder is another massive out
Come on down Sam 😃

K409LzZ.jpg

Paul Hunter must be absolutely pinching himself, from not being on an AFL list to being locked into the side for the opening couple of rounds. Let's hope he can grasp the opportunity with both hands.

Been excellent list management by the club to bring in Mckernan and Hunter for exactly this scenario.

Wow, thank god we have that depth we've all been crowing on about for the last few months as things are getting pretty gnarly on the injury front.

For what it's worth, here is the side I would like to see us go with heading into Round 1:

FB:C.WilkieD.HowardB.Paton
J.Webster
HB:N.CoffieldJ.Frawley
T.Highmore
J.Sinclair
C:B.HillJ.SteeleS.Ross
HF:J.HigginsJ.BattleJ.Billings
FF:T.MembreyM.KingD.Butler
R:P.Ryder
P.Hunter
B.Crouch
J.Bytel
J.Gresham
I/C:R.Marshall
S.McKernan
J.Geary
B.Long
H.Clark
D.Hannebery
J.Lonie
J.Carlisle (Emg.)L.Dunstan (Emg.)M.Wood (Emg.)

I think we need to see what Bytel can do in the couple weeks that Crouch is out. No need to rush Jones back in, particularly for an interstate game.

Highmore just gets the nod ahead of Carlisle, partly due to the lack of regard Carlisle currently seems to be held in by the club, but moreso because GWS don't seem to have the most dangerous talls these days. I think between Wilkie, Howard and Higmore (with Coffield floating around too) we should be able to contain them.

I was hoping we would be able to avoid playing either of Hunter or McKernan, but with Ryder and Frawley joining Marshall on the sidelines, I don't think we have much choice. If we tried to just go Hunter, we would be lacking key position players when he needed a rest.

I still think we will win, but jeez, you would want to bring some of the unavailable blokes in sooner rather than later.

Paul Hunter must be absolutely pinching himself, from not being on an AFL list to being locked into the side for the opening couple of rounds. Let's hope he can grasp the opportunity with both hands.

He looked the goods the other night. I don't know if it showed on TV but he was going harder than just about any Saint.

Good news re Jones, Crouch and McKernan.
Allison... really?? That's insane.

How the hell is Frawley running already? Is that normal for a reasonabl severe hammy?
All the best Paddy, hope it works out Ok

Hammy's are funny things. He may be able to run a marathon at 6 minute ks, but if he tries to sprint, the hammy goes. It is a tendon issue not the hammy, so there may be a difference. Doubt he would be cleared to run if there was an chance of further injury.

Paul Hunter and Shaun McKernan, inspired pickups.

Completely agree with other comments that it's great to see our club put the players' mental health first and giving Ryder some time is a great example of that, especially with all the work the club is trying to do in Spud's legacy.

But, I can't help but feel concerned due to the fact that this is happening after he has been unavailable due to concussion. I hope there aren't any lingering effects.

Training today .

Jones trained fully did everything including match simulation moved well.

Byrnes , Membrey , Billing’s , King all on light duties ...nothing to worry about though.

They had 3 academy boys training with main group a great experience for the lads.

Pretty light session overall ..big one Friday .

Interesting news was that Allison has put 6-7 kilos ...Mckernan was in good touch today thought
they may go Hunter .....maybe not.

Pretty unsure which way they go...Highmore or Carlisle.

More I see Crouch the better shape he is getting in by the way.
Hannebery did weight session, but clear the mission is few rounds in...

Frawley back running which is interesting given prognosis 10 weeks.. anyway over and out.

ps....Those Black training tops are just sensational ..best ever.
Did Clav train or is he injured again ?

He looked the goods the other night. I don't know if it showed on TV but he was going harder than just about any Saint.

Would rather Hunter over Hickey, Longer or Pearce TBH.

He looked like he could hold his own the other night. A fair ruck, not great, but was pretty good around the ground as well, kicked a good goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back