Brown ~ McAsey ~ Borlase
Parnell ~ Frampton ~ Hinge
Hamill ~ Pedlar ~ Milera
Strachan ~ Hately ~ Soligo
Rowe ~ Worrell ~ Newchurch
Murphy ~ McAdam ~ Gollant
Taylor ~ SSP train on ~ Rookie

Suspended: Walker
We can now add the NGAs to our Sanfl side as they were not picked up. Dudley and O Loughlin

Murray off no pre-season was ahead of McAsey, but now Murray after an impressive 2021 and a full pre-season is suddenly behind him?

No chance.
I have no idea why anyone could have any expectation Macasey will be playing rd 1. He’s way down the depth chart for both backs and fwds and has shown less than all his rivals. It’s hard to find a reason to even be hopeful (except for him being pick 6).

Now that the part of the draft relevant to this is over:

B Jones Butts Doedee
HB Smith Murray McPherson
C Dawson Keays Seedsman
HF McHenry Fogarty McAdam
F Rachele Thilthorpe Murphy
R O'Brien Laird Schoenberg

I Berry Frampton Sholl Sloane

Not exactly what I'd go with, but it's what I see happening, depends on how broken in the brain the club is come March. Not the remotest chance in the world that Milera will be fit for round 1, Crouch and Brown only a rounding error more likely.

you got Billy overtaking EH for the 3rd KPF spot again? Surely we're not that blinded by a good preseason again.

21 times.

Our North game was an brazen effort to tank... only countered by North being an utterly pathetic football club who dished up the most disgusting performance I can remember since Melbourne 2012 against Geelong.

21 times.

Our North game was an brazen effort to tank... only countered by North being an utterly pathetic football club who dished up the most disgusting performance I can remember since Melbourne 2012 against Geelong.

out - Berg and Kelly injured, Murray omitted
in - Billy, Smith, Gollant

Hardly tanking changes and we did nothing in terms of throwing the side around. We went in to win, as we always do. No way they wanted a home loss to the spoon side to conclude the season. Madness to think otherwise.

I have no idea why anyone could have any expectation Macasey will be playing rd 1. He’s way down the depth chart for both backs and fwds and has shown less than all his rivals. It’s hard to find a reason to even be hopeful (except for him being pick 6).

It's like the sides that have Sloane at half forward, half back or on the bench. In round 1, Sloane will be lining up in the centre square at the opening bounce as one of our 3 primary mids. Maybe as the season progresses we'll see the rotations deepen and Sloane, Keays and Laird rotating through forward and back roles. But it won't be happening early in the season and it absolutely won't be on the table for round 1.

Murray off no pre-season was ahead of McAsey, but now Murray after an impressive 2021 and a full pre-season is suddenly behind him?

No chance.
Neither Murray nor McAsey had a preseason last year, so that's not relevant.

McAsey has a much bigger upside than Murray, and should be given first chance.

The difference between 193cm and 197cm matters for key defenders, plus McAsey makes better decisions by foot.

No, Frampton didn't overtake Murray. We were trying different things.

Murray has a far bigger body of work than Frampton as a key defender & clearly in front.

The question is whether McAsey after another lreseason can force his way in.
Murray and Frampton both were primarily forwards before 2021.

Last year, there's probably half a season of more games played by Murray as a key defender compared to Frampton.

Both are probably starting at a reasonably similar place, with Murray probably half a length in front.

Personally, I think 193cm is VERY close to being too small to be a key defender, but others may disagree.

We can now add the NGAs to our Sanfl side as they were not picked up. Dudley and O Loughlin
They may not choose to play for us. Both seem pretty entrenched at their SANFL teams already.

My Round 1 Team

B: Brown** - Butts - Doedee
HB: Jones - Murray** - McPherson**
C: Seedsman - Keays - Dawson
HF: Rachele** - Thilthorpe - Cook**
F: McHenry - Fogarty - McAdam**
R: ROB - Schoenberg - Laird
Int: Sloane - Murphy** - Smith - Berry**

Emg (from): Himmelberg, Frampton, McAsey, Gollant, Rowe, Hinge, Worrell, Hamill, Sholl, Pedlar, Strachan

(** = under selection pressure from various emergencies listed)

Nowhere near Rd 1 selection: Newchurch, Soligo, Taylor, Hately, Davis, Borlase, Parnell, Nankervis

Unavailable for Rd 1: Milera (likely worked up to full fitness through the twos), Walker (suspended), Crouch (still rehabbing)

Notes:
1) I think Hinge actually fits better into this side than McPherson, so watch that space. I just feel Hinge is far more likely to come back through the SANFL coming off a major injury

2) Cook is not yet a walk-up start, but if he has a solid preseason and performs well in the first few weeks, expect those stars next to his name to disappear for the next 10 years

3) I absolutely think Rachele should and will play in Rd 1

4) It will be very interesting to see how the forward line structures up in the absence of Walker to start the season. Will we go with Fog and Thilthorpe as the two true talls, and then just have the high leaping McAdam (Gollant potentially in the frame to leapfrog McAdam for this spot depending on preseason form) and Cook spending time up there too, or will we go with a genuine 3rd tall such as Himmelberg or McAsey? I think most of us would prefer the former, but who knows at this point.

5) At this stage, Murray has to be the favourite to take the second true KPD spot, but Frampton is somewhere in that frame. Maybe McAsey enters that picture too, but it really seems to me like he’s now being treated as a forward.

6) Are Luke Brown’s days as a best 22 player numbered? He’s struggled fitness-wise recently, so maybe some sort of combination of McPherson, Hinge, Hamill, Jones and Worrell end up relegating him to a backup role in 2022. I still think he plays Round 1, but will he play Round 1 2023? I’m 50/50 on that.

7) Will Pedlar be able to complete a full preseason, enter the season at full fitness and make a genuine run at Round 1 selection? It’s possible, but I feel it’s more likely that he enters the fray in Round 5-6, and hopefully never looks back from there.

Considering all the factors above, I suspect this team looks significantly different after the bye. Injury-permitting, I think we’ll see something like:

Post-bye 2022 Team:

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Jones - Murray - HINGE
HF: Rachele - WALKER - Cook
F: McHenry - Thilthorpe - Fogarty
R: O’Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
Int: Sloane, Smith, MILERA, PEDLAR

(So as the season progresses it’s Hinge, Walker, Milera and Pedlar replacing McAdam, Murphy, McPherson and Berry - different structure with the extra tall in Walker, but it just means Pedlar is likely asked to play predominantly forward in a Murphy-type role with Murphy and McAdam being squeezed out. May also enable Smith to spend more time forward where I think he could be very damaging, especially with the return of Milera.

**It’s going to be very tough to fit Crouch in when all others are fit - there’s only ever going to be room for 2 of Crouch, Pedlar, Berry and Sloane while all of Schoenberg, Laird and Keays are fit. With Sloane still being the heart and soul type leader, and Pedlar clearly having the highest ceiling, I think they’ll be the preferred options post-bye, but more often than not, injuries just take care of these sort of decisions anyway.

Last edited:
Neither Murray nor McAsey had a preseason last year, so that's not relevant.

McAsey has a much bigger upside than Murray, and should be given first chance.

The difference between 193cm and 197cm matters for key defenders, plus McAsey makes better decisions by foot.

Murray had never been in an AFL system before last season, McAsey was taken at pick 6, had been in the system a year longer. Being picked as an SSP player vs coming to training in November is entirely relevant and you know it.

Yet Murray, (rightfully) and later, Billy Frampton were picked ahead of one of the highest picks in our AFL history. In a rebuilding side, with no Daniel Talia or Kyle Hartigan to choose from, a 19 year old played zero games.

McAsey has shown nothing apart from one courageous mark and the club has made it abundantly clear where he stands in the pecking order.

The player who has shown more at AFL level (Murray) deserves the first chance. He has earned it.

You don't rate Murray, we all get it. You're completely wrong, but we get it.

Brown/McPherson Butts Doedee
Smith Murray Jones
Seedsman Laird Dawson
Rachele Thilthorpe Cook
McAdam Fogarty Gollant

ROB Schoenberg Keays

Sloane Berry McHenry/MCrouch(when fit) Hinge

*Milera: Would be in my best team but I want to see some form and fitness in the SANFL first before he is brought in.

*Walker: Should be in round 4.

Last edited:
Murray had never been in an AFL system before last season, McAsey was taken at pick 6, had been in the system a year longer. Being picked as an SSP player vs coming to training in November is entirely relevant and you know it.

Yet Murray, (rightfully) and later, Billy Frampton were picked ahead of one of the highest picks in our AFL history. In a rebuilding side, with no Daniel Talia or Kyle Hartigan to choose from, a 19 year old played zero games.

McAsey has shown nothing apart from one courageous mark and the club has made it abundantly clear where he stands in the pecking order.

The player who has shown more at AFL level (Murray) deserves the first chance. He has earned it.

You don't rate Murray, we all get it. You're completely wrong, but we get it.
Look, I'll either be right or wrong. It's fine.

Maybe it's worth unpacking how little your points mean though - being in the system for a year longer means almost nothing when that year was 2020, and McAsey DIDN'T do most of last off-season's prep because he was with his father who had almost died.

I think this board falls in love with players too fast and then falls out of love too fast.

Murray was better than expected last year, but he isnt really ahead of McAsey and Frampton, and being dropped multiple times is evidence of that. The only player who's really proven anything is Butts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL

FF: Gollant - Thilthorpe - Rachele
HF: McHenry - Fogerty - Sloane

R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg

HB: Brown - McAsey - Smith
FB: Jones - Butts - Doedee

RES: Cook, Hately, Pedlar, Worrall

SANFL

FF: McAdam - * Walker - Rowe
HF: Newchurch - Himmelburg - Hinge

C: Sholl - * Crouch - Taylor
R: Strachan - Berry - Soligo

HB: * Milera - Frampton - Hamill
FB: Murray - Borlase - McPherson

RES: Murphy, Nankervis, Parnell , Davis

Not expected Round One, but included: Crouch, Milera, Tex

How many times was McAsey picked last season to play AFL? Ahead of specifically Murray and later Frampton.

That's every definition of being behind them in the pecking order.
Sure, but you're speaking as if one of them has been clearly tapped by the club as the answer going forward.

That hasn't happened, which was exactly my point. None of those three has definitively claimed the spot, and I think McAsey has a bigger upside and should get first go it.

Similarly, I think a fit Hately has a lot of potential within our midfield mix and should get first go ahead of other options.

It's just my view, which is probably the point of posting here.

AFL

FF: Gollant - Thilthorpe - Rachele
HF: McHenry - Fogerty - Sloane

R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg

HB: Brown - McAsey - Smith
FB: Jones - Butts - Doedee

RES: Cook, Hately, Pedlar, Worrall

SANFL

FF: McAdam - * Walker - Rowe
HF: Newchurch - Himmelburg - Hinge

C: Sholl - * Crouch - Taylor
R: Strachan - Berry - Soligo

HB: * Milera - Frampton - Hamill
FB: Murray - Borlase - McPherson

RES: Murphy, Nankervis, Parnell , Davis

Not expected Round One, but included: Crouch, Milera, Tex

Do you recall which players missed/not part of our final H&A game?

Rachelle, Dawson........

Thanks. Just want to get an idea of how much we can improve on that team.

Rachelle, Dawson........

Plus Brown and a bunch of kids - McAsey, Hately, Worrall, Pedlar, etc.

Rachelle, Dawson........

Hinge, Milera, Crouch, Walker. Pedlar injured for most of the year as well so combining that with Dawson and Rachele, improved fitness, natural progression of the young blokes and better luck with injuries we should definitely improve by some margin. Cook and Rachele replacing Rowe and Murphy will automatically improve our goal scoring. Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Gollant are really important for our fortunes. If all three take it to the next level we should have a good year. We also need McAdam to start producing some more consistent efforts.

Last edited:
B: McPherson#, Butts, Murray#
HB: Smith, Doedee, Jones
C: Seedsman, Keays, Dawson
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Sloane
F: McAdam#, Thilthorpe, Cook#
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: Worrell#, Berry#, Sholl#, Rachele#
E: Himmelberg, Pedlar, Hamill

Defensive locks (4/7) - Butts, Smith, Doedee, Jones
Defensive fringe - Murray v McAsey, 2 of McPherson, Brown, Worrell, Hamill, Hinge
Milera - coming back from injury

Midfield locks (6/8) - O'Brien, Laird, Keays, Schoenberg, Dawson, Seedsman
Midfield fringe - 2 of Berry, Pedlar, Hately, Sholl
Crouch - coming back from injury

Forward locks (4/7) - McHenry, Fogarty, Sloane, Thilthorpe
Forward fringe - 3 of McAdam, Cook, Rachele, Himmelberg (if we go talller), Murphy, Gollant
Walker - unavailable

Last edited:
B: McPherson#, Butts, Murray#
HB: Smith, Doedee, Jones
C: Seedsman, Keays, Dawson
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Sloane
F: McAdam#, Thilthorpe, Cook#
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: Worrell#, Berry#, Sholl#, Rachele#
E: Himmelberg, Pedlar, Hamill

Defensive locks (4/7) - Butts, Smith, Doedee, Jones
Defensive fringe - Murray v McAsey, 2 of McPherson, Brown, Worrell, Hamill, Hinge
Milera - coming back from injury

Midfield locks (6/8) - O'Brien, Laird, Keays, Schoenberg, Dawson, Seedsman
Midfield fringe - 2 of Berry, Pedlar, Hately, Sholl
Crouch - coming back from injury

Forward locks (4/7) - McHenry, Fogarty, Sloane, Thilthorpe
Forward fringe - 3 of McAdam, Cook, Rachele, Himmelberg (if we go talller), Murphy
Walker - unavailable
You don't have Gollant as forward fringe? I thought he was one of the big bright spots from last year.

Back