AFLW Round 1 Countdown - its here. 7.45pm tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks likes something you'd use to store a watermelon

Have lol'd at the commercials trying to promote it (going back to the mid 90's AFL ones)

I'd personally like to see a commercial that states "a women's match that gets a full house attendance.... I'd like to see that" - there's no way they have the audience (tv or those watching live at the ground) that will be sustainable.

As others have stated, the televised match last year was like an "all stars" game, with the same talent now splintered across multiple teams in this "FAKE" league (doing a Donald Trump here :D). The skills on display will be deplorable across the board.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has called for patience with the new women’s league, saying it will need time to develop.

The league was launched on Wednesday morning in Melbourne, with old rivals Carlton and Collingwood to play the first game on Friday.

“I want to be clear — this will be good for business, but, as compelling, it can be explained in two words — equality and aspiration,” McLachlan said. “It will be football as we’ve always known it ... but it will also be very different.

“This group of women players will create their own game.

“I’d like to remind everyone this is year one ... I will ask today that we give them time and space to grow into the elite footballers that we know they can be.

“We are here for the long haul ... I can guarantee you the AFLW in three years will be vastly different to year one.”

The women’s league premiership cup was unveiled, with Western Bulldogs vice- president Susan Alberti named as its ambassador.

The AFL also announced there would be a best and fairest award for the new league.

The Rising Star, best afield in the grand final and leading goalkicker will also be recognised, plus there will be an All-Australian team after each season. However names are yet to be determined for individual awards.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...h/news-story/fbd116263f0371c4391060951f5c1847

Looks likes something you'd use to store a watermelon

Have lol'd at the commercials trying to promote it (going back to the mid 90's AFL ones)

I'd personally like to see a commercial that states "a women's match that gets a full house attendance.... I'd like to see that" - there's no way they have the audience (tv or those watching live at the ground) that will be sustainable.

As others have stated, the televised match last year was like an "all stars" game, with the same talent now splintered across multiple teams in this "FAKE" league (doing a Donald Trump here :D). The skills on display will be deplorable across the board.

id personally like to see people actually give thje comp ago rather than slag off the competition before it even began. Especially on the womens footy forum.

The thing about people saying the league will be crap before it has started is, it becomes impossible for them to enjoy it or appreciate it for what it is.

You will be back saying, 'see, I was right', and the actual quality of the game will have very little to do with it.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The thing about people saying the league will be crap before it has started is, it becomes impossible for them to enjoy it or appreciate it for what it is.

You will be back saying, 'see, I was right', and the actual quality of the game will have very little to do with it.

Those that do find enjoyment good luck to them :).

I myself was not overly impressed with the "exhibition games" in recent times and opinion I have read (which I agree with) is that the standard will be a little lower than that because of the talent pool being lackluster since the talent from the Bulldogs/Demons teams from those games being spread across the league.

If skill levels do improve over time well then good. However I don't see it happening, even if by some miracle it does.... a large potion of those that may have been interested from day 1, will have abandoned the concept by then.

I myself was not overly impressed with the "exhibition games" in recent times and opinion I have read (which I agree with) is that the standard will be a little lower than that because of the talent pool being lackluster since the talent from the Bulldogs/Demons teams from those games being spread across the league.

If skill levels do improve over time well then good. However I don't see it happening, even if by some miracle it does.... a large potion of those that may have been interested from day 1, will have abandoned the concept by then.

And he's still here

You seem to have a strong and persistent interest in declaring your lack of interest

You won't reap enjoyment from the AFLW when your means of measuring the standard is to solely and continuously compare it with their male counterparts.

For those of us that can watch a women's match without thinking about men, we might be in for a treat. Getting to know new players and discovering what separates the best from the rest is a great journey in any sport. As long as teams are somewhat evenly matched, you can't really go wrong with football I think.

And to have it pop up right now on FTA when the calendar is a little sparse, perfect for me, I'm really looking forward to this!

Note: Adelaide v GWS is being shown in Adelaide, the Saturday night game is not. This policy does not appear to have been extended to Sydney or Brisbane.

womensAFlwk1broadcast.png

You don't see skills improving over time? From a competition starting from scratch?!!

Nope where is the development going to come from...

Wellllll lets see, they are going from an amateur park grade competition to full professional over a couple of years, they'll go from zero, to receiving all the benfits of professional AFL coaching, equipment, facilities and other support. If you dont think there'll be some improvement then you really need to think harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't work you'd have to hope the juniors will take the game on. I don't see it working.

Im not sure you really want to. Theres plenty of evidence around the place that girls and young women are picking up the game.

Heading to the game friday. Hoping for a successful launch. Not sure why they elected for 16 a side. I think with the girls kicking shorter distance its silly to have only 16 players.

They've got a smaller footy, youd be amazed what it does for distance.

Won't work you'd have to hope the juniors will take the game on. I don't see it working.

It's already happening.

Northern Footy League for example.

2011 = 9 girls teams in 1 age group (u18)
2016 = 31 girls teams across 4 age groups (u12,u14,u16,u18)

That was just through googling 1 league, I'm sure there are plenty that will reflect this

Looking forward to the league, will attend when I can. Think Women's footy will add a new dimension to our great sport.

In the long term, the whole game could benefit from the possibility that the more women who play the game, the more likely their sons and daughters will play. Might reduce the number of "soccer mums" and increase our game's numbers.

One of the key drivers. If a footy family has 2 daughters that play soccer, then a son, good chance the son plays soccer as well.

They will be looking to the AFLW to drive female participation up a lot, but to also help with male participation.

One of the key drivers. If a footy family has 2 daughters that play soccer, then a son, good chance the son plays soccer as well.

They will be looking to the AFLW to drive female participation up a lot, but to also help with male participation.

As a male with two older sisters, I can assure you I wanted to do basically the opposite of anything my sisters did...

Note: Adelaide v GWS is being shown in Adelaide, the Saturday night game is not. This policy does not appear to have been extended to Sydney or Brisbane.

womensAFlwk1broadcast.png
I don't believe it is wise to be playing any games in summer before 6.30 local time. Heat & humidity can sometimes be simply too difficult to constantly run around in -too hard to showcase skills. AF is NOT a hot weather sport.
Why not Sunday &Monday evenings at 7pm for the AFLW -these are the best rating times for TV. Games would be over by about 9pm, so not getting home to late to go to work next/school day.

Therefore, Adelaide should not be playing at 4.30 on Sat., nor Melb this Sunday at 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back