Review Round 11 vs Hawthorn @ Sydney Cricket Ground (29.05.21 - 7:40pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Hawthorn.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 11
Gold Coast FC vs Hawthorn Hawks
Sydney Cricket Ground, Moore Park, NSW
May 29th 2021 - 7:40pm Australian Eastern Standard Time
huge opportunity here, need to get after it​

Last edited:

Looking forward to this game! A great chance for us to win back supporters and respect.

I haven’t lost any faith at all. Go suns!

I've lost faith, where is our run and gun football. Gone to kick and mark and now bomb it out the area football. Frustrating
I'm not convinced by the injury argument either.
Jack Bowes is coverable in his current form
Matt Rowell has played 6 games for us total- so while we're undoubtedly better with him, in the past 25 games someone should have stepped up to cover
I personally think Josh Corbett is a better option than Sam Day
Wittsy is a decent out but all teams have them
What I'm saying is the team we're fielding at the moment is close to our best
If we can only find ways to win when we have our very very best team on the park then we are not progressing as a Club

OUT: Graham, Markov
IN: Jeffrey, McLennan

McLennan can't do much more right now with how he's playing. Neither can Jeffrey.

Burgess gets a pass as the relief ruck. Offers more there than Graham.

At the moment we seem really, really tall. Given we play at TIO and it will be very dewy, I suspect we'll bring in some smalls.

Lemmens the concern. Limping around badly after hurting his ankle. Ran out the game but will struggle to get up I think. Would like to bring Farrar in but quad injuries usually mean 4 weeks at least. Unless it's just a cork or something like that.

Hawthorn playing 3 proper talls up forward today in Kostizke, Lewis and Mcevoy

So I think we'll need Collins + Ballard + probably Graham to cover them. They are big boys, don't think we could ask Wil Powell to play on any of them. Would lose some of his zoning and intercepting capacity.

They're likely to line up with
Frost on King
Hartigan on Corbett

Scrimshaw / Jiath as their third tall / intercepting defender.

Game will be won and lost in the midfield

Miller, Greenwood, Anderson, Ellis, Swallow, Weller
Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Phillips, Cousins

Fairly even - although I reckon we've got a slight advantage.

Last edited:
It's a must win game for us. We simply can't lose this one.

I would reward Jeffrey for his VFL form. He looked very dangerous every time he went near the ball on Friday night and I'm certain he would want to turn it on for Indigenous Round/his hometown in Darwin next week. We now have a surplus of players in the team for rucking duties and I thought Zac Smith was very serviceable yesterday with 22 hitouts, 9 disposals, 2 clearances, 1 tackle plus a goal so he definitely stays in the team for mine. It's either Graham or Burgess who go out for Jeffrey.

I would also be tempted to reward McLennan after his latest performance in the VFL. Singlehandedly stopped about three goals in the VFL, took plenty of intercepting marks and generally looked very solid throughout the game. Markov might need a week in the reserves so it could be a straight swap for McLennan. Only problem is we lose some of our run off half back if that change is made. Tempting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is for the tackle on Duncan?
If so surely you are kidding not a chance that's reportable.
Completely agree. Holman didn't even pin both arms.

Offered two weeks. Holy *. Nearly fell off my chair. Thought it would be one week if anything, but two?? WTF.

Fight that and he has to get off, can’t be penalising the outcome, have to penalise the action.

That shouldn't be reportable. It's unlucky for Mitch Duncan, but Holman got him right in the act of kicking which I reckon impaired Duncan's ability to protect his own head. That does not make the action of the tackle inherently dangerous.

But speaking from my own club's horror run with the MRP, drawing a distinction between action v outcome is shaky at best.

You ought to challenge that. Again from Geelong's experience I think you have a better chance of a sensible outcome at tribunal than with the capricious and arbitrary MRP.

Any word on Farrar?

Missed with a quad but did late training last week so not sure how severe

With Bowes out surely he could be required down back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back