Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering it is 2.30pm, and we haven't had a preview thread this week I thought I'd get the ball rolling 5 hours out from the game.

Bulldogs-vs-Geelong.png

Changes from last weeks sides:

Geelong
In: Harry Taylor, Cam Guthrie, Quinton Narkle
Out: Lincoln McCarthy (Injured), Cory Gregson + Zach Guthrie (Omitted)
Debut: Quinton Narkle

Footscray
In: Matthew Suckling, Brad Lynch
Out: Caleb Daniel (Injured), Mitch Honeychurch (Ommitted)
Debut: Brad Lynch

Geelong have won the past 11 games against the Bulldogs. A win today would keep us in contention for a top 4 spot, a loss would put us behind the pack for a top 8 spot. Coming off the bye we've been patchy to say the least.

Cats by 24

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a fast start and we need to show intent.

We're carrying a few again so let's hope our little holiday isn't still in the psyche like previous years and we're switched on from the start.

A big few weeks in the context of our season, starting now.

Last edited:
Bulldogs have had leads of several goals against Melbourne, Collingwood and North Melbourne - all handy teams - in the past six weeks before capitulating in each game.

Given our notoriously slow starts off the bye, it is vital that we stay with them early. If we find ourselves 5+ goals down in the first or second quarter we will be in serious strife particularly given we have a couple of players back from long injury layoffs who may slow down in the second half.

Bulldogs have had leads of several goals against Melbourne, Collingwood and North Melbourne - all handy teams - in the past six weeks before capitulating in each game.

Given our notoriously slow starts off the bye, it is vital that we stay with them early. If we find ourselves 5+ goals down in the first or second quarter we will be in serious strife particularly given we have a couple of players back from long injury layoffs who may slow down in the second half.
The Dogs capitulate in last halves so I'd still be confident even with a 5 goal deficit. For some reason we decide to move the ball a lot faster when we're behind, strangely.

I guess I should have added that the game is at Etihad/Marvel Stadium. Ant Man is playing from 6pm and pies are $3 from the food outlets, or $6 from the bars.

First Goal: Guthrie
Most Goals: Abblett
Most Possies: Duncan
Most Contested: Selwood
First Kick First Goal: Narkle

Need to end these post-bye blues. Apparently our last win after a mid-season bye was all the way back in 2011. That's shocking, especially when you consider how much we've been winning in that period of time. Feel like we've been saying this the past handful of times, but surely they're going to be awake from the opening bounce this time, right? :drunk:

Cats H2H
Cats 1-39
Dogs +33.5
Dahlhaus 20 or more disposals
Selwood 25 or more disposals
Ablett 30 or more disposals
Narkle anytime goal kicker

Please win.

We need to put them to the sword for %. Although they will be very stung after last weeks loss in the last 20 seconds.
One would think Geelong would be stung after repeated finals failures too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs have nothing to lose and we have the dreaded post-bye curse to deal with. Could be one of those (immensely frustrating) nights for Cat fans.

Having said that we should win if:

• We start well (was a real slog game for Bulldogs against North last week so they might tire in last qtr);
  • Restrict the Bont (the Bulldogs’ talisman) and the in form Gowers
  • Bring the defensive and tackle pressure and use the ball well.
  • Good effort and Contributions from the bottom 6 players
Like to see:

• last two points above, particularly in forward line
  • Stanley back up his last two games
  • Hopefully Narkle can show something - at least pressure, threat and “presence”.
  • Obvious but must be said -No injuries !

Our post bye rubbish we serve up every year needs to stop.

I'm not sure whether the Dogs result last week will work in our favour or not. You could say they gave their all last week and lost so they'll be deflated, but I could also see the narrow loss make them hungrier for a win.

If ever there's a game where we would love to win it early and put the cue in the rack this is it. 6 day break before a huge game coming up and plenty of underdone players. A really good side would put up a quality first half, blow the young dogs out of the water and then save energy. I fear they might make our night considerably more difficulty than that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back